Alan Hutton

Rich_D

A proper role model for any academy player to look up to in terms of attitude. Took a lot of bumps here but never gave up. He could have easily let his career fizzle out like Ireland or Bent. Until McGinn joined he was probably the fittest player at the club in his mid 30s

• Like 3

Wish him all the best.

I don't think he's very good, but you can't deny he's given a lot to this club, when the club has often not treated him very well.

Definitely right for us to part ways, but genuinely wish him the best in his next move.

• Like 2

I can't say I ever particularly rated him and have posted in here before saying I don't really see quite why certain sections of the fan base held him in the high regard they did in terms of him as a footballer, but in an era for us where we've been cursed with a lot of sub-par players and questionable characters you can't really accuse him of the latter.

The guy clearly has a real affinity with the club and for that alone I think it's unfair to be as harsh on him as some are. All the best to him, it's great that his last season was finally a successful one for the club, and that he's essentially immortalised himself with that goal vs Blues.

I think some people are deluded, never good enough ? Cant understand why people thought he was good ?

One of my favourite players has always been Kevin gage, was he top class ? Nope, did he give everything in every game and produce the odd bit of skill that made you sit up ? Yes. Signed when we were in the old 2nd division and was a solid player who could put in a crunching challenge which would make the opposition think twice.

We've hardly been blessed with top quality right backs for the last 40 years.

Good luck big al, you have been an example to the whole playing group from juniors to seniors that keeping your fitness levels up high and giving it all mixed with average talent can get you to a higher place.

And a special thanks for taking a pay cut and staying when we thought we were losing half the squad for next to nothing at the start of the season AND THAT goal.

One player who has the pride

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

But he didn’t. We got relegated with him and were 3 years in the championship with him at RB. Main reason I personally believe we went up was because he got injured and a proper right back played.

Lets not rewrite history with this giving his all BS. The amount of times in a game he bombed forward and jogged back at his leisure infuriated me. I actually think he believed he was cafu with the stupid name he was given by fans. 

There is no way the worst RB we have had for 50 years should be given a testimonial or even consider a great servant to Villa. 

Only think i give him credit for is not complaining and keeping his head down when he was put in the bomb squad.

The reason people like Hutton is not due to his footballing ability. Everybody can see his limitations.

People love him because in the last 7 years of crap, he was one of the very few, if not the most, dedicated, hard working and loyal players. Yeah he got a massive contract. But that's not his fault.

He was a silver lining in the pile of crap that's nzogbia, mccormac, Richards, harewood, tonev etc. Ability level, he was no better then any of them. 

But he wore the shirt with pride, and in the times when we finish 14th in the Championship that's the best we could clinch to as football fans. 

He is the Scottish Cafu, and I am hoping we can hear his name sang in the Holte End once again in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He’s an excellent professional, I’ll always remember him fondly, a cult hero for me. He could never be faulted for effort, he always gave 100% every match. According to Wikipedia, he played 173 league matches for us. He will always be remembered for his waltzing run against Birmingham City but for me, he seemed like a great role model for the younger players. I’ll miss him greatly and wish him all the best for the future 

Limited player with bags of effort. Cant knock him. He's made mistakes and had plenty of awful games but he has also played fantastically at times too and left us with an amazing derby day memory and while part of a squad that relegated us he has been part of the squad that got us back up. Proper mixed bag but he clearly loves the club and gave his all so fair play. Not a legend by any means but he will always get a good reception if or when he ever returns.

Good luck Alan and cheers.

Edited by Ingram85

The evil useless would say that he's been utterly rubbish, and is big part of the reason that we've been so poor for the past ten years, and as a professional athlete shouldn't be applauded for working hard, especially as he's been paid millions upon millions in his time here. The good useless which is me, would say it wasn't all bad, and good luck to him, and nice to see that he got to leave on a high.

Edited by useless

When a player is as disliked and ridiculed as he was in his early years here, to turn that around and end his time here so liked and respected, is very rare. Thank you Alan.

Edited by meregreen

The simple joy of seeing this thread in other football. He's the real symbol of our decline and hopefully worst years. Goodbye Alan, the folks in row zed won't be cowering for shelter every time you attempt a cross anymore.

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

The simple joy of seeing this thread in other football. He's the real symbol of our decline and hopefully worst years. Goodbye Alan, the folks in row zed won't be cowering for shelter every time you attempt a cross anymore.

I really don't understand this attitude. Hutton brought grit, determination, and integrity to a team that was often sorely lacking in all of those things. His age and limitations will prevent him from joining the team in the top flight, but he was a faithful servant through some pretty dark times.

Good servent to the club, treated badly by lambert who tried to bomb him out which backfired massively when no one one pick up his wages to take him

Ended up being our first choice right back for the last 4 years.

Your all right by me hutts. All the best for the future

Â