Alan Hutton

Rich_D

16 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Maybe some of the blame for Hutton should be deflected to those who pick him every week and also play him out of position

left back is now one of the positions he can play in, and some believe he's better there than the right (myself included)

out of interest how many games does one have to play in a position before they're no longer 'out of position' ? i would say he's played enough there to no longer say that about him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

left back is now one of the positions he can play in, and some believe he's better there than the right (myself included)

out of interest how many games does one have to play in a position before they're no longer 'out of position' ? i would say he's played enough there to no longer say that about him.

Problem with Hutton is he's almost always out of position, regardless of which position he is playing at.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is not Alan Huttons fault he has been pretty much an ever present for us for the last 5 seasons. Numerous managers have failed to replace him or replaced him and then decided he is the better option. 

When picked all you can ask from any player is that they do their best. You can't expect Albert Adomah to play like Ronaldo. Hutton has limited ability there is no doubt about that but I do believe week in week out that he does his best. That isn't anywhere near enough to elevate him to legendary status and I doubt anyone with more than a couple of brain cells would seriously mention him in the same breath as a Cowans or McGrath.

It is perhaps a reflection of how many couldn't a toss simply happy to pick up their wages merchants we have had playing for us that a player who it seems does genuinely care for the club and is trying his best has gotten a bit of a cult status. That isn't Alan Huttons fault though that is the fault of all those players who over the last 7 or 8 years have put on our shirt and not given an ounce of sweat in it.

I absolutely agree. Continuously calling for him to be dropped when we have no alternatives is just daft. He has shown a commendable attitude over the years, but his ability, certainly at this stage of his career falls short. However we literally have no alternative left back and he’s not even a left back. That is the fault of the club, without pointing any fingers at individuals. 

Hopefully that will soon be resolved. Until then we’re stuck with what we’ve  got in lots of positions. If a player is picked, he’s going to play. Surely nobody expects him to turn to the manager and say, “Leave it out boss, have you seen me play? I’m rubbish”. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Fazilla said:

The first requirement of a full back is to defend, but the amount of space that QPR had for their second goal was incredible.

you are much too bright for this site.😀

20 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

He always gives 100% in training ..... that goal he scored against Blues!

But what about the other 99% of matches?

Hutton isn't an idiot, he knows what he should be doing as a full back, and yet he ignores what he should be doing in favour of the 'hero' marauding role that he tries to create for himself in every game.

It comes off once or twice in a season, and the rest of the time it costs us goal after goal because he's way out of position.

Hutton has enjoyed the freedom to do what he wants, because we've been woefully short of defenders. This has to end in this transfer window!

I guess the Holte Ends rendition of the " Scottish Cafu " doesn't help either.

I understand a bit of partisan singing is good for all, but I wonder if it has influencies on his selection....fans favourite and all that.

Alan Hutton is a moments player....he has them.....but he is inconsistent.

He seems to struggle one v one with anyone comfortable with the football....he finds himself out of position quite often and gives away space like the UK gives out benefits.

The goal against Blues was a Roy of the Rovers moment.....We need players to get us out of this division Taylor, Elmo and Hutton are all not good enough to do that over 46 games.

Ps Mark is absolutely spot on...The fact he is still here is an indictment on the club, not him, ...However the fact we have never found  players better is again more to do with the club than him.

pps perhaps if we had a criteria of buying players to win promotion as opposed to buying players to keep the wheels on or keep the  wolf from the door.....we might progress.

Edited by TRO

I honestly don't know why Mitch Clark doesn't play there instead. I am usually sceptical about our youth players the hype surrounding them but he has looked very good whenever I have seen him and has something about him...a tenacity. We need to give guys like that a chance.

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

I honestly don't know why Mitch Clark doesn't play there instead. I am usually sceptical about our youth players the hype surrounding them but he has looked very good whenever I have seen him and has something about him...a tenacity. We need to give guys like that a chance.

Ive watched him at Port Vale a few times and looked good,shame Villa dont see him ready for the Championship

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I absolutely agree. Continuously calling for him to be dropped when we have no alternatives is just daft. He has shown a commendable attitude over the years, but his ability, certainly at this stage of his career falls short. However we literally have no alternative left back and he’s not even a left back. That is the fault of the club, without pointing any fingers at individuals. 

Hopefully that will soon be resolved. Until then we’re stuck with what we’ve  got in lots of positions. If a player is picked, he’s going to play. Surely nobody expects him to turn to the manager and say, “Leave it out boss, have you seen me play? I’m rubbish”. 

I've repeated this a few times now .... It's not his attitude, it's not his dwindling ability due to age, it's his total disinterest in doing the job he's been put on the pitch to do .... defending, marking, blocking his player/s when they attack his area of responsibility, which is currently LEFT BACK! The argument that "Hutton is not a left back" ignores the fact that he's a vastly experienced defender, and knows full well what his duties are. The way that he chooses to repeatedly go 'awol' and costs us points because of his 'gung ho' attitude, is not acceptable!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Mitch Clark can play all the defensive positions (he even looks comfortable at CB even though he's only about 5 ft 9 ins.).

Mitch is quick, strong, and combative with high energy, meaning that he get's up and down the pitch at pace (unlike Hutton's charge forward and amble back style).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Mitch Clark can play all the defensive positions (he even looks comfortable at CB even though he's only about 5 ft 9 ins.).

Mitch is quick, strong, and combative with high energy, meaning that he get's up and down the pitch at pace (unlike Hutton's charge forward and amble back style).

I'm going to find a rope and a bridge.

Phew! that was close....just checked Wiki, said he is primarily a full back.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've repeated this a few times now .... It's not his attitude, it's not his dwindling ability due to age, it's his total disinterest in doing the job he's been put on the pitch to do .... defending, marking, blocking his player/s when they attack his area of responsibility, which is currently LEFT BACK! The argument that "Hutton is not a left back" ignores the fact that he's a vastly experienced defender, and knows full well what his duties are. The way that he chooses to repeatedly go 'awol' and costs us points because of his 'gung ho' attitude, is not acceptable!

Spot on.

He is not 21......He knows the score.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm going to find a rope and a bridge.

Phew! that was close....just checked Wiki, said he is primarily a full back.

His main position is centre back but he can fill in at right and left back edit- just seen villabromsgrove’s post

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

His main position is centre back but he can fill in at right and left back edit- just seen villabromsgrove’s post

Centre Back @ 5'9".....are you serious?

Liverpool and Man city have players who can thread a needle with their footwork....but still find it in their wisdom to employ Centre Halves of High Calibre, that are 6'4 & 6'3 respectively.

Its like having a sub 6' goal keeper.....we have finally woke up to that.

Centre backs in order to be in control need to have aerial ability to dominate....teams will pump balls in when they are desperate and they need to be dealt with.

a sub 6' CB would NEVER feature in my team unless he was so exceptional, I had to accommodate him....most unlikely

26 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don’t disagree with that, or most of the other critical observations of his play. I’m pretty sure the coaches are more than aware of this and his other shortcomings and as such are working towards replacing him ASAP. Even when he was at Spurs, their fans seemed to think he was ok going forwards, but a mess in defence. His problem is he doesn’t read the game. Bursting forwards is his natural instinct, but when he loses the ball, he doesn’t see the gaping gap he’s left behind himself until it’s too late, and at 34 he hasn’t got the speed or energy to make up for it.   The problem is we have no alternatives at the moment. Hopefully this is a now a short term problem. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t disagree with that, or most of the other critical observations of his play. I’m pretty sure the coaches are more than aware of this and his other shortcomings and as such are working towards replacing him ASAP. Even when he was at Spurs, their fans seemed to think he was ok going forwards, but a mess in defence. His problem is he doesn’t read the game. Bursting forwards is his natural instinct, but when he loses the ball, he doesn’t see the gaping gap he’s left behind himself until it’s too late, and at 34 he hasn’t got the speed or energy to make up for it.   The problem is we have no alternatives at the moment. Hopefully this is a now a short term problem. 

I agree Dave but when he does or (anyone else playing full back) goes on a run midfielders should tuck in and they don't always.

I too think he is too gungho, even though the runs can be exciting, but the team should cover.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Liverpool and Man city have players who can thread a needle with their footwork....but still find it in their wisdom to employ Centre Halves of High Calibre, that are 6'4 & 6'3 respectively.

Centre backs in order to be in control need to have aerial ability to dominate....teams will pump balls in when they are desperate and they need to be dealt with.

a sub 6' CB would NEVER feature in my team unless he was so exceptional, I had to accommodate him....most unlikely

He’s great in the air

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Back in the day, as I’m sure you remember TRO, teams would play with a centre half and a sweeper, Leighton Phillips springs to mind, rather than 2 centre halves. But the game has moved on and good centre halves need to be able to play the traditional role that centre halves have always played, in other words big physical presence to dominate the area, but they also have to be able to play like a sweeper when the situation calls for. That requires good reading of the game and a bit of pace too. 

Basically a good big ‘un is better than a good little ‘un. My Dad used to play rugby to a very good standard, RAF first team. He was 5’7” and played hooker. Going back about 20 years I met the Northampton first team hooker, he was 6’1”. Dad said he wouldn’t have got a game at that level now because they were all so much bigger. To some extent, and definitely in positions such as CB, football has changed in the same way. At the top of the game players have to have all the attributes, unless they are so exceptional they break the rules, like Messi. Although I’m not sure he’d get a game at CB!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s great in the air

A mate of mine has got a theory that smaller players can often be better in the air than big lads, because they have to really work on their jumping. Alan Wright was always better than he should have been in the air whereas perhaps Peter Crouch should have been better given his height. Perhaps Mitch is a good jumper? Although the best bet is a big b#gger who can jump I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â