Alan Hutton

Rich_D

2 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

I'm still coming to terms with the fact there's an Alan Hutton thread in the current players section. That there is gives me no hope for our immediate future. The club has been guilty of some horrendous decisions of late but this has to top them all. As Tony frantically hunts down the back of his sofa to try and find a few quid to get to the end of the month, does he take a break to rejoice getting rid of a bang average right-back we've spent the majority of his contract trying to get rid of? On the contrary.

I dunno about Harvard...more like he was educated by The Brentmeister General..."Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car - perception, yeah?"

It beggars belief, it really does. I despair.

Give it a rest won't you? 

• Like 4

Ridiculous comments? Haha...I think you need to take a step back.

One of the best left-backs in the league that can't use his left foot? You're surely taking the piss now?

It seems that in your love-affair with Hutton you've totally missed the point. I've nothing against him. He's fully committed and does his best (which often isn't good enough - see POF). But like I say, my issue isn't with Hutton. We already have plenty of right-backs (and that's what he is) so in a time of financial meltdown we don't need to be re-employing another. 

When clubs can't meet their monthly financial commitments they make swingeing cuts. 10k a week on someone we can do without is yet another example of financial irresponsibility. It is not sustainable.

Wake up

• Sad 1

@chips'ngravy I'm struggling to understand why his "not having a left foot" is an issue for you? Being opposite "footed" is a distinct advantage for many full backs, see Maldini, Lahm, Zambrotta, Zanetti and arguably the best full back in the world currently Azpilicueta all have weak "other feet".

Not trolling and I agree with some of your points but the "has no left foot" argument is a bit pie in the sky mate.

Edit, not sure why the font has gone full retard and cba'd trying to fix it.

Edited by Hoof hearted

3 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

One of the best left-backs in the league that can't use his left foot? You're surely taking the piss now?

It seems that in your love-affair with Hutton you've totally missed the point. I've nothing against him. He's fully committed and does his best (which often isn't good enough - see POF). But like I say, my issue isn't with Hutton. We already have plenty of right-backs (and that's what he is) so in a time of financial meltdown we don't need to be re-employing another. 

When clubs can't meet their monthly financial commitments they make swingeing cuts. 10k a week on someone we can do without is yet another example of financial irresponsibility. It is not sustainable.

Wake up

So would you rather we had just Taylor and no back-up left-back other than kids and our current RB options, Elmo and Bree?

What about when Elmo is playing on the wing because Snodgrass has gone, then who will the back-up be? De Laet? Nope, he's going to Anderlecht.

Are you hoping for the return of the messiah Micah 'league one quality, conference body' Richards at full-back?

Or perhaps you would just like us to cope without a back-up left-back?

Or maybe you're hoping that we will find a free transfer left-back who is better than Hutton and will accept lower wages than Hutton, or spend actual money on a full-back who is better than Hutton and will accept lower wages than Hutton...? All during this time of 'financial meltdown'.

Or, you know, we could just let Hutton sign-up for another year on reduced terms, keeping an experienced and committed player at the club?

If you're worried about us playing an old player, where you'd prefer some youthful legs in a view to 'build for the future', then let me reassure you slightly. There are 11 positions in a football team, and Hutton can only ever take up one.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Wake up

Yeah, OK fella.  Well done on the reaction you've provoked.  I'll leave it there thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then. I might camp out here then. And not because I rate Alan Hutton either, I think my views on him as a player are well documented over the last 330 pages :D

I hate that we just gave you a new contract too.

But here's the deal. You're literally the only player in the whole squad that I can now rely on to even be in the squad come the start of the season because making such a fuss about a pay-cut to stay and then leaving would make you look a right tit. As I have tried to do many times over the years - albeit by posting clips of you being a bit shit.

So here it is. This is the place for some blind faith and some positivity!

Go Team Hutton :flag:

• Like 1

When I see a team that IMO that is light on combative qualities......Alan Hutton is one of the last players I would be looking at removing.

He has his flaws of course....but he is combative and has drive and intensity in his game, he is not physically out muscled very easily, which is more than i can say for many in our team. He has aerial ability too if he has to cover the centre.

We have more issues than Alan Hutton.

• Like 1

We have re-signed a player who was a solid first team performer last season. A player who is happy to be here even though we're in the shit. I think it's great that he has signed a new deal because we are going to need as much experience as we can muster next season if we're selling Grealish, Kodjia, Chester and some of our other first teamers. Sorry, I mean when we sell them, not if.

Giving him a new hopefully much lower contract makes sense in that he actually served a purpose last season.

On the other hand having something like 6 senior wide defenders in the squad for a club hemorrhaging money does not.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Giving him a new hopefully much lower contract makes sense in that he actually served a purpose last season.

On the other hand having something like 6 senior wide defenders in the squad for a club hemorrhaging money does not.

Offer players reduced contracts and hope they sign.  If they do, great.  If they don't, they're in the shop window.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is Hutton getting faster with age? 

It just seems he works so hard he might be unlocking his bodies full potential. In some sports they actually say around 32 mind and body connect.

Â