Alan Hutton

Rich_D

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Rumours on Twitter that he's taking a pay cut to stay - if so then I'll officially withdraw all future criticism and join the Alan fan club. 

Wherever he is going he will be taking a pay cut, so not doing anyone but himself any favours.

This is exactly the sort of thing we do not need, and what I fear is going to happen.

40 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Wherever he is going he will be taking a pay cut, so not doing anyone but himself any favours.

This is exactly the sort of thing we do not need, and what I fear is going to happen.

So presumably it’s ‘more’ of a paycut that he’s rumoured to be willing to take to stay here.

I don’t know how you conclude that this is exactly what we don’t need. Let’s say we sell a handful of our best and most experienced players, bringing in one of last year’s most committed and consistent players on low wages for a season at leftback, allowing us to try to flog Taylor and his 4-year contract, seems like a great idea.

• Like 2

I'd be fine to retain him for another season on low wages as long as our new manager want's him.

But of course we also must get rid of Taylor, Elmo and DeLaet first because we can't afford to have all these + Hutton on our books.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

How is it the sort of thing we do not need? Hutton was arguably our best player last season whilst playing in a position not suited to him.

If we can keep Hutton on a reduced wages, sell two of De Laet, Elmo or Bree then we are onto a winner. For example if De Laet and Elmo both we reduce higher wages and get a fee for both players.

With Hutton's versatility at left back it means that we only need one more left back at the club, on the assumption that Neil Taylor leaves as he is cack.

• Like 1

If we are able to offer him another contract then I'm sure it would be far less than his last one and less than he might get for playing somewhere else. If he was willing to stay on such terms then I consider it would be good to have him still with us in August.

• Like 1

I love him at left back, makes less errors than at right back (which he would then save with a last ditch challenge) but at left back he seems to be a lot more solid. I've been a critic, but if we can keep him for another year and have him at left back, I would take him. Possible captain?

17 minutes ago, Dick said:

I love him at left back, makes less errors than at right back (which he would then save with a last ditch challenge) but at left back he seems to be a lot more solid. I've been a critic, but if we can keep him for another year and have him at left back, I would take him. Possible captain?

Yeah but where would you play him?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

There are players that we needed out this season but our best full back wasn't one of them. If he is willing to come back on wages we can afford then great. As others have said I'd be looking to get rid of Taylor.

All our players are good at most things, but not at some....Alan Hutton has a positional problem at times....and its reared its ugly head on numerous occasions.....I would keep him for another season, if the wages were right. Taylor is just weak per se.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

All our players are good at most things, but not at some....Alan Hutton has a positional problem at times....and its reared its ugly head on numerous occasions.....I would keep him for another season, if the wages were right. Taylor is just weak per se.

I don’t get what has happened to Taylor. He was always decent for Swansea and Wales and looked good for us when first signed. 

After returning from his injury in the middle of the season he turned to shit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get what has happened to Taylor. He was always decent for Swansea and Wales and looked good for us when first signed. 

After returning from his injury in the middle of the season he turned to shit. 

I agree.

Form is a weird thing, you just can't put your finger on it at times.....and its a phenomenon that gets us changing our minds about players.

and it can arrive ( David Platt against Belguim, Jack after his injury) and disappear ( Micah Richards, Scott Hogan, Rudy Gestede) in equally weird ways.

On 09/06/2018 at 09:19, AntrimBlack said:

Not strictly true, regardless of his wages as a free agent he’d be entitled to a decent signing on fee which he is also prepared to forfeit in order to stay here. I don’t understand the criticism, he loves the club, his family are very settled in the area and he works his socks off? We’ve had much worse full backs at the club in recent times and when you consider his wages vs Neil Taylor I’m amazed it’s taking this long to sort him out with a new deal at less than £15k/week! 

• Like 2

I have been a big critic of Hutton in the past, but would not be against him staying on here at lower more realistic wages. He was a big drain on resources in the past as he was bombed out, and I thought his tendency to switch off tended to result in goals against.

For the level we are currently at, and with Hutton looking a lot better in the second half of the season, and to try and keep a bit of continuity within the squad, a one year deal would be a good option for both parties.

Perhaps it is a two year contract he wants from us and we were looking to offer him another year only? Perhaps we don't even have the money available to offer him the lower salary that he wants?

On 09/06/2018 at 12:41, KJT123 said:

I read that he's on £15,000 a week. Surely we can afford to keep him on that?

not just him though is it, we have 3 RBs on the books, cant play them all so its an area that we can target for cutting costs

personally i'd sell elmo and keep hutton as a back up to bree but i dont think that will happen, definitely not under bruce

Â