Alan Hutton

Rich_D

If we didnt have any full backs then he'd have earned an extension. If we sell DeLaet and Elmo then we'll need back up.

Seriously though, lots of wages and all the full backs and it makes absolute sense to let him go. I would not be happy going in to next year with Hutton and Taylor as the left back options with BB filling in.

He's done an admirable job in dire straits and all that but if a 34 yr old Hutton is indispensable then we're screwed and if that's all we have planned for left back next year I'd have doubts about us going anywhere.

No ill feeling, just time to move on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

If we didnt have any full backs then he'd have earned an extension. If we sell DeLaet and Elmo then we'll need back up.

Seriously though, lots of wages and all the full backs and it makes absolute sense to let him go. I would not be happy going in to next year with Hutton and Taylor as the left back options with BB filling in.

He's done an admirable job in dire straits and all that but if a 34 yr old Hutton is indispensable then we're screwed and if that's all we have planned for left back next year I'd have doubts about us going anywhere.

No ill feeling, just time to move on.

I think thats fair comment.....we need a single minded approach.

• Like 1

From what ive seen though it does look like we are planning on giving him a new deal? Have to say after all the abuse he got during the mcleish years and the whole bomb squad thing the way he fought back into the team i wouldn't mind him being given another year.

• Like 1

He had a great season overall and I was vocal about giving him another contract if promoted. Sadly, I feel he needs to be overloaded unless he is willing to play on a much lower wage. 

He was caught ball watching on Saturday and well out of position for the goal, but I personally won't remember him for that. I agree with Bruce, he worked his butt of for the team and for the best part he did very, very well.

• Like 1

If he stays surely it has to be as a back up? If we can sell Taylor and bring in a new first choice left back then i see no problem in keeping Hutton as a back up on a reduced contract for another 12 months. We don't need him for the right hand side anymore, we have Elmo, Bree and De Laet. If we sell 2 of those he could possibly be used as a back up RB too. If we want to move forward there's no room for sentiment, he can't be a starter anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, AXD said:

I just saw a post on Instagram saying he would take a pay cut to stay and help the club. The post was liked by hutton himself.

Did Hutton also make the post ;)

On 29/05/2018 at 08:51, Dante_Lockhart said:

I completely threw him under the bus for that goal.

If there was ever a moment where it showed he was not a LB, it was that.

He was at fault and albert should have tracked too.

Alan Hutton is always suseptible to that ball.....but equally he is very good in many other things like driving forward.

Alan Hutton on championship level wages is a big asset judging on last season. Alan Hutton on humongous wages again would have been another nail in the coffin regardless of how he played. Good on him if the pay cut story is true, it'd have to be a very big cut too you'd think.

Â