Alan Hutton

Rich_D

22 hours ago, Jareth said:

Ok, I know I'm irrational about Hutton, based on recent season(s), but is there any room for sentimentality? It's like Bruce, cheers for promotion but hello Rafa, and Hutton, well if we go up there will be money to replace him with something younger and exciting. One more year as cover perhaps, but in the premier league he'll be tested very sorely and frequently. 

If we go up I would like a statue made of him. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Needs to do a man marking job on Sessegnon, as he did such a fantastic job with Billy Whizz over 180 minutes.  If the kid switches sides then Hutton follows, simples. 

I was thinking much the same myself.

however, i think mitrovic is the key to their success.

On 15/05/2018 at 09:55, Jareth said:

Ok, I know I'm irrational about Hutton, based on recent season(s), but is there any room for sentimentality? It's like Bruce, cheers for promotion but hello Rafa, and Hutton, well if we go up there will be money to replace him with something younger and exciting. One more year as cover perhaps, but in the premier league he'll be tested very sorely and frequently. 

Would really laugh if Rafa was appointed manager and offered Hutton a new contract as his first act.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Who is this bloke? really kicked on this season.. the Scottish Cafu and support/love from the fans has given him another leg!

Deserves a new deal. Never thought id say that. (1 year deal.....)

• Like 1

Never in a million years thought I'd say this but I'd be OK with giving him another year. With lower wages. Especially if we fail to get promoted

With the caveat that I still wan't us to sign a new first choice RB and LB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

With the caveat that I still wan't us to sign a new first choice RB and LB.

Agreed. If we go up, he's a useful back up, especially as he can play on either side, but if our first choice 11 has players like Alan Hutton in it, we're coming straight back down.

He's done a solid job this year, but we need better in the PL.

Edited by Davkaus

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. If we go up, he's a useful back up, especially as he can play on either side, but if our first choice 11 has players like Alan Hutton in it, we're coming straight back down.

He's done a solid job this year, but we need better in the PL.

He's earned a one year deal. Also I think that it keeps him motivated - the thought of only having a year left and he applies himself fully at all times.

If he manages to wrangle three years out of it, (not suggesting that in a single contract) he'll have been here for 10 years?

I suspect that either way Bruce will want to give him a 1 year contract. His commitment is 2nd to none and he continues to play 100%.

I have definitely been critical of him the past but fair play to him, he has really put in the effort this season and deserves his spot next the team. Really managed to change my opinion on him!

I think as a squad/back up player he will be capable definitely in the championship and possibly in the premier league. Even if there are question marks around his skill, his character and team work will be invaluable. Subject to what level his wages will be, I can definitely see Bruce saying to him 1 more year.

8 hours ago, cyrusr said:

I suspect that either way Bruce will want to give him a 1 year contract. His commitment is 2nd to none and he continues to play 100%.

I have definitely been critical of him the past but fair play to him, he has really put in the effort this season and deserves his spot next the team. Really managed to change my opinion on him!

I think as a squad/back up player he will be capable definitely in the championship and possibly in the premier league. Even if there are question marks around his skill, his character and team work will be invaluable. Subject to what level his wages will be, I can definitely see Bruce saying to him 1 more year.

Trouble is Bruce has already come out and stated that Hutton only gets a contract if we go up.

Although he didnt say it, but we all know if we dont go up then there's even less money next year. The 3rd year of parachute payments is at an absolute minimum compared to the previous 2 years. 

Its easy to say "well cant we get rid of some of the others", but as we've seen with Agbonlahor, McCormack and Richards etc, you can't force players out if theres no interested party, and even then wages have to be subsidised. When you have players like that sitting around then you cant afford to have Alan Hutton on £35k/w.  I'm sure Bruce would have had the conversation already with Hutton about reduced wages before announcing to the world he wouldnt be staying unless we go up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Although he didnt say it, but we all know if we dont go up then there's even less money next year. The 3rd year of parachute payments is at an absolute minimum compared to the previous 2 years. 

Drops from £33m to £15m - were we to stay within FFP then we need to break even and find an extra £18 mill somewhere. There may be a few mill coming in thanks to some creative club sponsorships, flog a few players and we'll be there. Wages are freeing up a bit but I would put all that into renewing key players were it possible. 

Even if we don't go up, is anybody really going to come in with stupid money for Alan Hutton. or even match his current deal? Anyone with that kind of money would surely be at a higher level, and have higher aspirations.

I don't see why a compromise couldn't be reached either way,.

• Like 1

Â