Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Dunno where I stand on Walker.

There is plenty to admire about his game, he is a genuine attacking RB and the way modern football is today you need at least one of your fullbacks comfortable further up the pitch.

There are things to be concerned with, defensively he switches off at times and can over elaborate. You take the good with the bad though, and hope in time you can iron out the weaknesses.

On balance, I'd probably say yes, go for him. Depending on how Tottingham do this year, they may be looking for closer to the finished article. And Levy has demonstrated in the past that he'll do a deal if he likes the price, regardless of what his manager at the time thinks.

It would probably take a bid somewhere in the region of £10 million to get them interested (or some kind of trade with Ash, which I'd rather avoid TBH), but I reckon it could be done.

Not sure about Hutton though. Losing Walker and gaining Hutton would be like losing a fiver and gaining herpes.

Well if they keep Walker, they surely can't keep Hutton as well if likes of Corluka is there also? Walker and Hutton are very similar so would be surprising to see him keep both, not forgetting Naughton either. If Harry badly wanted to keep Walker, I'd happily have Hutton, good age, decent defensively, excellent going forward.

Load of bollocks in my opinion if only because it says we are long-term admirers of the player yet in August we changed manager who seems to have changed the entire scouting system which I would say is pretty short-term. Good player and better than anyone on permanent contracts at Villa but would much rather walker.

I can't believe some of you actually think Walker is better then Hutton. Hutton has been very good the past two seasons, he is experienced while still being relatively young. He goes forward just as well as Walker and delivers better crosses, his defensive positioning is good not many wingers have gotten to him this season. Given that Hutton has fallen out with Candle Face he will be available for less then Walker.

I think Walker has Potential to be better than Hutton but we would be much better off with an experienced defender, especially if we are going to be replacing a lot of the backline as MM and other ITKs have said.

Well I guess so.

Because why would you want a right footed player at left back who doesn't naturally play there? May as well buy a left back and right back...

Dumb question: Can either Hutton or Walker play left?

And, if so, why not get them both?

Not really. Their other right back, Kyle Naughton can play both.

Btw guys, Fullback's do play at other clubs as well as Tottenham, y'know.. just incase we'd forgotten.

I like Walker but come off it lads - Hutton is clearly a better RB than him at this stage of his career because he has a wealth of experience more than him. Defensively he is twice the player of Walker as things stand. That's not to say that Walker hasn't got a lot of potential though, and attacking-wise he already has a lot to offer - but he still has a lot to learn and Hutton is definitely a better player than him right now. While that may not be the case in a year or two, it still makes it difficult to choose who I'd rather have at the moment - Hutton is already the finished article and is only 26 (so 6 years service at least?). Walker on the other hand is 20 and has the potential to be better but we don't know if he will be.

The bottom line in making this decision is price.

Kyle Naughton ahead of this guy. Look at the wages Hutton would demand if he came here, he'd be looking for 40k plus, I'd rather save that for Ash's wages or someone who will approve us in the attacking area of the pitch. Lets bring young hungry players to the club.

Houllier is in charge now. We are no longer limited to signing players from British Isles teams.

MON signed Guzan.......

I always did like that argument.

Hutton wouldnt be bad, but it wouldnt surprise me if Houllier knows a right back abroad that we dont know about. Would love Walker but it aint gonna happen.

I like Walker but come off it lads - Hutton is clearly a better RB than him at this stage of his career because he has a wealth of experience more than him. Defensively he is twice the player of Walker as things stand. That's not to say that Walker hasn't got a lot of potential though, and attacking-wise he already has a lot to offer - but he still has a lot to learn and Hutton is definitely a better player than him right now. While that may not be the case in a year or two, it still makes it difficult to choose who I'd rather have at the moment - Hutton is already the finished article and is only 26 (so 6 years service at least?). Walker on the other hand is 20 and has the potential to be better but we don't know if he will be.

I'd take Walker over Hutton anyday of the week. Unfortunately I think Harry's thinking may echo this by the end of the season.

I'd take Walker over Hutton anyday of the week. Unfortunately I think Harry's thinking may echo this by the end of the season.

I'd take Walker as well. Apart from that if you go on the spits message boards you'll get and idea of what he's like. I wouldnt touch him and I dont rate him either.

Hutton has had a big falling out with Redknapp and probably won't play for them again, he has a bad attitude and apparantly drinks a lot. I don't know one Spurs fan that rates him.

• 4 months later...

The Sun

ALEX McLEISH is ready with a £3million offer to give Alan Hutton a quick way out of Tottenham.

Big Eck wants to make the Scotland international one of his first signings at Aston Villa - 12 months after failing to lure him to Birmingham.

McLeish had a £6m bid for his former Rangers right-back rejected by Spurs last summer.

But now he is eyeing up a cut-price move for the defender after being told Villa cannot have England Under-21 star Kyle Walker on another loan.

Walker has just signed a new five-year deal and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp made it clear he expects him to challenge for a first-team place after impressing during loan spells with Villa and QPR last term and at this summer's European Under-23 Championships.

Hutton cost Tottenham a whopping £9m from Rangers in February 2008.

But the Scot is entering the final year of his contract and Spurs could be happy to cash in on a cut-price deal now rather than risk losing him for nothing next summer.

Hutton, 26, was already behind Vedran Corluka in the pecking order and is keen to make a fresh start away from North London after just 51 appearances in 3½ years at Spurs.

He also had a spell on loan at Sunderland in 2010 and Black Cats manager Steve Bruce wanted to sign him permanently - but was unwilling to meet Spurs' £5m valuation

Â