Alan Hutton

Rich_D

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that’s a bit unfair on Hutton, he always gives 100% and that’s all that can asked of any given player. Yes, he’s not the most gifted player, I don’t know why he gets so much so much stick on here and at matches. For me, he’s a legend now, according to wiki, he’s played 173 times for us, he’s our longest serving player in the current squad, I love him

If Alan Hutton is a club legend we might as well just pack up and go home.

He's a cult hero from the last two years but is being left horribly exposed at left back, arguably a position he should never have had to play in (another Steve Bruce legacy)

Every game he frustrates me with his constant ambling forward leaving his position vacant when a simple pass would get the ball to the winger already occupying the space. Or standing inside the edge of the box as the team break on us leaving a winger with a crazy amount of space out wide, enough to bring a ball down, set himself and begin to run into the box (this then results in either a dangerous cross or a last minute block to go out for a corner). It could be argued that he is playing out of position but the same thing happens whilst he is playing at right back.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that’s a bit unfair on Hutton, he always gives 100% and that’s all that can asked of any given player. Yes, he’s not the most gifted player, I don’t know why he gets so much so much stick on here and at matches. For me, he’s a legend now, according to wiki, he’s played 173 times for us, he’s our longest serving player in the current squad, I love him

Legend? Always gives 100%?

I give up.

• Like 3

I think the truth lies somewhere between "He's dogcrap and epitomises what is wrong at the club" and "He's a legend who always gives 100%". 

I don't think you can fairly level the criticism at him that he doesn't try. I think he does always give 100%, so do most players though. 

He is filling in at left back, a position he isn't particularly good at and that is helping the team out because the alternatives are worse. But he's a liability at left back and at best he is cover at right back. 

I wouldn't be rushing to offer him another contract, he frustrates the hell out of me. 

I would say 70% of games he jogs back when a team breaks against us. Yet he is labelled as a trier. That's why he is a fraud. He did it numerous times when we got relegated but gets away with it.

• Like 3

Hopefully by this point Smith is a sick as we are of Playing "Where's Hutton" every game and has someone lined up to replace him.

Forget Braveheart, this is the costume he should have worn for the Christmas party

Bildresultat för wheres wally costume

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Wow lots of hyperbole on here.

He’s a bang average player who the fans love due to the fact he has never complained when bombed out, he’s passionate about playing for Villa and the club clearly means a lot to him (which is more than can be said for 80% of the players we have had over the last 7 years).

Personally I do not think he is good enough and it is time that he was replaced, but he has been a great servant, he has dished up a few memorable goals and the fans love him as much as he loves them, and that relationship with the fans and the club counts for something on a non-footballing level.

my thoughts exactly...think his time is up personally and if he leaves at the end of the season he can with his head held high.

• Like 1

I understand many folks gripes with him and they cannot be ignored for sure.

I.e out of position etc. which has been a factor that has stood out in the last few games certainly. Although I would class him now as more of a wing back rather than a full back as such.

I do feel at 34 this will sadly be his last season with us and a shame we won't be able to off him a testimonial etc.

I think it is more the new style and system that is making both look full backs look worse than they actually are.

I recall last season Elmo was solid behind Albert/Snoddy.

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Hes a **** fraud. Shit player and eptiomises everything wrong with the club over the last 7/8 years. 

Working hard, not complaining, taking a pay cut... I don't think those are really negatives.

Say what you want about a something as subjective as his ability (which I think is above average for this league), I don't think you can really knock his professionalism.

As for people criticising his "laziness" in jogging back. How many people have accused Bree of the same for QPRs second? He was out of position, took too long to get back, was at fault for the goal. Not a peep. Or how about people criticising the new manager for leaving his full backs so exposed and open to the counter? Nope.

The same few players will always, always be criticised, regardless of what they do. It's very obvious when they do something very noticably good (Kodjia scoring a brace, Hutton v small heath) and people still have to put the digs in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Working hard, not complaining, taking a pay cut... I don't think those are really negatives.

Say what you want about a something as subjective as his ability (which I think is above average for this league), I don't think you can really knock his professionalism.

As for people criticising his "laziness" in jogging back. How many people have accused Bree of the same for QPRs second? He was out of position, took too long to get back, was at fault for the goal. Not a peep. Or how about people criticising the new manager for leaving his full backs so exposed and open to the counter? Nope.

The same few players will always, always be criticised, regardless of what they do. It's very obvious when they do something very noticably good (Kodjia scoring a brace, Hutton v small heath) and people still have to put the digs in.

He never took a pay cut, he was out of contract, we offered him a new contract.

He clearly is way off the pace at this level, it's so obvious for everyone to see.

Costing us points every single week, i actually think Bree is fine, but Hutton is the broken cog in the wheel. Need replacement badly.

Both Taylor and even Tuanzebe is better options at lb.

Edited by villalad21

Â