Alan Hutton

Rich_D

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If Taylor was better than him then he'd be playing.

We can’t have Hutton playing at left back all season, he must have had assurances that he’d play at right back, otherwise he wouldn’t have signed a new contract, that’s my opinion 

30 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We can’t have Hutton playing at left back all season, he must have had assurances that he’d play at right back, otherwise he wouldn’t have signed a new contract, that’s my opinion 

Are you assuming that Hutton would prefer to play right back elsewhere than possibly playing left back at Villa? I wouldn’t be so sure.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For me he is a new found LB now, he is playing the best football of his career again.

He is no longer as effective on the right as he once was, but I am pleased we have signed him for another year and on a pay cut.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

Are you assuming that Hutton would prefer to play right back elsewhere than possibly playing left back at Villa? I wouldn’t be so sure.

Did I say that? I think he probably would though as that’s his natural position which is why I think he has had assurances that he plays right back 

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For me he is a new found LB now, he is playing the best football of his career again.

He is no longer as effective on the right as he once was, but I am pleased we have signed him for another year and on a pay cut.

His best football of his career was probably at Rangers which is probably why Spurs bought him

56 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Did I say that? I think he probably would though as that’s his natural position which is why I think he has had assurances that he plays right back 

? That’s a strange response, SGC, as:

a) I didn’t post that you did ‘say that’, I asked you a question;

b) your original post I asked the question of and your subsequent post above, would both indicate that your are assuming Hutton would prefer to play right back elsewhere than possibly play left back for Villa, else why, as you wrote, ‘he must have had assurances that he’d play at right back’?

Having witnessed Hutton play better at left back than right back in his later career, I don’t believe the current management at Villa will have given Hutton any assurances on which position he will play. Nor do I believe Hutton would have asked for any positional assurances before signing his new contract. In any case, ‘positional assurances’ aren’t worth the air they are spoken with or the paper they are written on and someone as experienced as Hutton will know that.

If I was pushed to guess why Hutton had chosen to stay at Villa it would be a combination of: him enjoying playing at a level he feels is decent for his current ability, him earning more than a decent wage in an environment he is comfortable with; him being able to easily commute from an area his immediate family are happy in. It would not include an assumption that Hutton must have been assured he’d play at right back at Villa.

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

b) your original post I asked the question of and your subsequent post above, would both indicate that your are assuming Hutton would prefer to play right back elsewhere than possibly play left back for Villa, else why, as you wrote, ‘he must have had assurances that he’d play at right back’?

Having witnessed Hutton play better at left back than right back in his later career, I don’t believe the current management at Villa will have given Hutton any assurances on which position he will play. Nor do I believe Hutton would have asked for any positional assurances before signing his new contract. In any case, ‘positional assurances’ aren’t worth the air they are spoken with or the paper they are written on and someone as experienced as Hutton will know that.

If I was pushed to guess why Hutton had chosen to stay at Villa it would be a combination of: him enjoying playing at a level he feels is decent for his current ability, him earning more than a decent wage in an environment he is comfortable with; him being able to easily commute from an area his immediate family are happy in. It would not include an assumption that Hutton must have been assured he’d play at right back at Villa.

Sorry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You're wrong. Imo of course.

7 hours ago, brommy said:

You would make a good lawyer!

I'm not sure how such assurances work, but it's hard to imagine that it's in a contract, more of a gentlemans agreement perhaps. And as the future of Bruce (and of the ownership) is somewhat up in the air, I guess such assurance wouldn't be much worth anyway.

Regarding Hutton playing better at left back, I'm not so sure about that. I think he has surprised quite a few of us by adapting well at left back, and some of his movement seemed to benefit by it, but I wouldn't say he is better at left back than right back. For example in the semis he switched sides as he followed Adama and was as good in both positions. He has imo definitely improved over the last years, mainly by cutting out the wreckless tackles and by more safe passing, but that's regardless of position. I would imagine he prefers to play right back as that's what he has done all his life (except when McLeish and Bruce played him right wing :-S), so it's fully thinkable imo that he said he prefered to play right back while signing the contract, if that happened or if it was met with any kind of assurances would be interesting to know.

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Not true. This forum shows conclusively that we can guess, then get really angry about what we have guessed, then debate the merits of that guess for 27 pages, and call for the sacking of assorted Villa personel based on that guess  ?

You're just guessing at that.

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Taylor should be better than him but he clearly isn't. His decline this season has been rapid. Hutton is a much better option and that speaks volumes of taylor's current form and ability. 

should we have  Taylor thread ?

I'm still coming to terms with the fact there's an Alan Hutton thread in the current players section. That there is gives me no hope for our immediate future. The club has been guilty of some horrendous decisions of late but this has to top them all. As Tony frantically hunts down the back of his sofa to try and find a few quid to get to the end of the month, does he take a break to rejoice getting rid of a bang average right-back we've spent the majority of his contract trying to get rid of? On the contrary.

I dunno about Harvard...more like he was educated by The Brentmeister General..."Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car - perception, yeah?"

It beggars belief, it really does. I despair.

Â