• A Young
    • Pirès
    • Albrighton
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Delph (for Baker 36)
    • Petrov (for Pires 70)
    • Heskey (for Bent 83)

Pires MON class performance from a class player.

Great performance all around from the players maybe best of the season. Albrighton looked like messi in the 2nd half, Young was busy and a handful, Walker was like Daniel Alves up and down that wing. Bent wasn't great but I think some of the balls provided by Young were hit too hard. Those two not being on the same wavelength was the only negative attacking wise. Oh, Downing was great too.

I didn't see their goal but I would guess Dunne had something to do with it.

Overall I'd say 8.5/10 - great performance and a big UP YOURS to the MON lovers.

Absolutely dominated the game from start to finish, playing the sort of football we've always wanted.

Brilliant combination of youth and experience, brilliant work ethic and 4 goals.

Houllier - 10/10 for a)playing Pires, who was an inevitable MOTM after the uproar on here when the teamsheet was announced and for B) keeping albirghton on after a poor 1st half (I called for him to go off)

Top stuff.

Fantastic performance - I went for a joint MOTM between Pires and Young. Pires rolled back the years today and Young made use of the ball well throughout, and got two vital goals.

A great team performance, and hopefully an incentive match against Bolton knowing we are only 4 pts off 7th. UTV

Bent was probably the worst out of the team, it was a fantastic team performance, special metions to Young, Pires, Albrighton and Downing - they tormented blackburn all day.

Special mention to Delph too, done a great job at left back and looked very composed, but played with good discipline in trying to stay at where he should be

Pl   GD    Pts

10. Everton      28   -1    33

11. Stoke        26   -2    33

12. Aston Villa  28   -12   33

13. Blackburn    28   -11   32

14. Blackpool    28   -13   32

15. Fulham       27    0    31

16. Birmingham   26   -10   30

17. Wolves       28   -15   28

------------------------------------------

18. West Brom    27   -17   28

19. Wigan        28   -22   27

20. West Ham     27   -18   25

How much better is that, we are 6 points of 6th.

Well played, wonder how high our posession% was, we gave them so little of the ball.

We worked hard and as many have already said, should have scored more.

AV 63% - 37% B'burn i think, tbh i don't remember them having even 37% of the ball.

Bent had some dodgy moments in the first half but worked hard in the 2nd. Great performances by Pires (MOTM), Young, Albrighton, Downing and particularly Reo-Coker, who anchored the midfield well and whose passing was excellent for what it was.

The Blackburn defence was suicidal at times but it is great all the same to see the goals fly in for a change.

Well played, wonder how high our posession% was, we gave them so little of the ball.

AV 63% - 37% B'burn i think, tbh i don't remember them having even 37% of the ball.

Difference would be keeping the ball and not pumping forward for the sake of it, choosing the right pass i guess.

Difference would be keeping the ball and not pumping forward for the sake of it, choosing the right pass i guess.

Agree with that, used the width of the field, played it around them and knocked it back when needed so could build again.

Played more on the ground too, not hoofing it forward.

Great performance. Completely controlled the match in midfield and that was where it was won. Scoring 4 and winning should be a big confidence boost - if we can follow that up in the next couple of games, we're in a battle for top 8 rather than bottom 3.

It should be noted Blackburn were very poor - some of that was down to how we played, but they also had zero strength up front (Santa Cruz was beyond anonymous) and were generally slow and did not seem much up for the game. Rather than signing Ronaldinho in the summer, they could be in relegation trouble if that is typical.

Still that is not to take anything away from a very fine performance. Young, Pires, Downing and Albrighton all stood out at different times for their parts in goals and chances and there was some great interplay. Only shame is Bent not being on scoresheet - we need him to be confident and firing as we won't have that many chances against many other teams. Defence were solid and their goal was a bit of a deflected fluke I think, though he was perhaps given too much space.

I'll give MOTM to the much-maligned Pires. Houllier, as he acknowledged, made a mistake in throwing him in straight away against Arsenal, but he's obviously fitter now and showed his quality on the ball today. Maybe a Berger-style late-season renaissance is in order. Fair play to Houllier in that choice - Petrov being on bench today is something that simply would not have happened last season.

Â