• A Young
    • Pirès
    • Albrighton
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Delph (for Baker 36)
    • Petrov (for Pires 70)
    • Heskey (for Bent 83)

Definitely agree with your point on Hansens critiscism of Hanley. I felt the same at the time.

If Hanley bee-lines to close the ball down straight away Downing simply slides the ball to Bent and he's no chance of getting back. His best option was to take away the Downing>Bent pass behind him, before moving across when Downing gets more dangerous closer to the box.

Match of the Day highlights of the game.

Hansen was criticising Blackburn for having a soft underbelly, which is probably valid as they were poor yesterday. He had a right pop at the defender (Grant Hanley, who is 19 years old) over the goal.

t0bI4.jpg

He states that Hanley should have closed down Downing (highlighted in claret) more quickly than he did, as Downing was the player who eventually scores. They freeze the video here, just as Ashley Young (highlighted yellow) has been taken out.

I'm not sure what Hanley could have done that he didnt do here. The only way this wasnt going to be a goal is if the referee blows for the foul, if Hanley closes down Stuart Downing, who isnt his man, then Downing passes the ball to Bent (highlighted green) and its 3-0. He cant leave Bent, can he? Its down to the other defenders chasing Downing to win the race for the ball.

This is exactly what I thought, really Blackburn would have thought they'd get the foul and then get back and reorganise but Downings positioning was good and a great decision by the referee to read the game as he did as Downing was still running on to the ball would not have been surprised to see the free kick given 9 times out of 10. When it came to it they did all they could in that move in the end, but once Downing had the ball it was always 3-0 either by Bent or Downing unless one of them messed up.

Friedel 6. I think he could have done slightly better with their goal but perhaps I'm being a tad harsh

Walker 7. Good going forward. Talented player and I'd like to keep him but I'm probably on my own when I say, I wouldn't be overly concerned if we didn't.

Baker 6. Steady. Quite why the referee blew up for a foul when he got battered by Robinson and left on the floor, God only knows.

Delph 7. Did a good job. Played one superb 50 yard pass down the channel for Albrighton to run on to.

Dunne 7. One mistake which almost cost us, just 20 seconds into the second half but other than than seemed better alongside Clark.

Clark 7. One lapse moment but an assured performance. I really rate this guy.

Downing 8. Caused them problems from both sides all afternoon. Set up one and scored one.

NRC 7. Nothing flash. Was asked to do a controlled job and did it really well.

Young 8. Played well, particularly in the second half when he got more space. I still don't really like him in the hole though.

Albrighton 6. Set up the second but rough first touch on several occasions. Got better as the game went on though.

Bent 7. I can see what GH is trying to get Young to do in terms of playing the ball through the middle, Bent plays off the shoulder of the last man and is busy etc. I want Young back on the wing to get the ball to Bent in the area a little quicker though.

Pires 7. Played well. Linked things nicely, should have scored a couple of goals in the first half. Got into good positions.

Petrov 6. He'll spend more and more time on the bench.

Heskey 6. Missed from two yards but at least got into the position to miss, I suppose.

Overall. First half needed to up the tempo, to the level that we did in the second. Dominated though and I can't reacall big Brad from making more than the one save. We still can't keep a clean sheet. Pleasing performance, well done GH.

Match of the Day highlights of the game.

Hansen was criticising Blackburn for having a soft underbelly, which is probably valid as they were poor yesterday. He had a right pop at the defender (Grant Hanley, who is 19 years old) over the goal.

t0bI4.jpg

He states that Hanley should have closed down Downing (highlighted in claret) more quickly than he did, as Downing was the player who eventually scores. They freeze the video here, just as Ashley Young (highlighted yellow) has been taken out.

I'm not sure what Hanley could have done that he didnt do here. The only way this wasnt going to be a goal is if the referee blows for the foul, if Hanley closes down Stuart Downing, who isnt his man, then Downing passes the ball to Bent (highlighted green) and its 3-0. He cant leave Bent, can he? Its down to the other defenders chasing Downing to win the race for the ball.

This is exactly what I thought, really Blackburn would have thought they'd get the foul and then get back and reorganise but Downings positioning was good and a great decision by the referee to read the game as he did as Downing was still running on to the ball would not have been surprised to see the free kick given 9 times out of 10. When it came to it they did all they could in that move in the end, but once Downing had the ball it was always 3-0 either by Bent or Downing unless one of them messed up.

if he had gone over to tackle dpowning it wouldve been a carbon copy of the bet goal at united recently, young drew the foul at exactly the same point in the move, downing races on to the gap behind and on this occassion tookit in the space, against united bent gave him the option to tap it in

either way, good movement, quick thinking and a goal for the villa.

Friedel 6 - One save of note, could not do much about the goal - steady

Walker 8 - I thought he was a thorn in their side all day and his overlapping runs are what we need. Looked ok defensively too but in fairness was never really tested.

Baker 6 - Looked handy enough til goin off..

Dunne 8 - One mistake but a lot of composed play

Clark 7 - Like him coming out of defence with the ball at his feet but a little lax at times, but this guy is a central defender and this is his best position.

Downing 9 - My MOTM today, worked his socks off and deserved his goal. Set up one and scored one, cant ask for much more. I may have eat my words on Stu as he has improved a lot since start of the season, still find him a bit soft at tuimes though.

NRC 8 - Very very iumpressed with Reo's display, unluckyt not to get my MOTM(Im sure he will be shattered to hear that).

Young 7 - played well, particularly in the second half. Still more efective on the wings, his set peieces were atrocious today too.

Albrighton 6 - Not up to his usual standard today

Bent 6 - Made some great runs but his touch seemed a bit off today but gee its good to have an intelligent striker making intelligent runs.

Pires 6 - Look he played ok but would have been exposed by any other team today, his lack of pace was really hurting us first half, got caught in possession a few times. Not a fan of him starting games

Delph 7 - Played very well but not a full back, against better sides he would have a lot more work to do.

Petrov 7 - Looked good I thought and seemed to enjoy a more forward position.

Heskey 5 - THAT MISS, proved he is still Emile Heskey after all

I haven't read all this thread so not sure if this has been mentioned already, but why arent the FA looking into Pedersen's elbow on Downing? The dirty bastard's challenge was at least as bad as Rooney's. I guess because MOTD never showed it then it doesn't matter.

Â