Dead Island

Sie

Deep Silver has denied the accusation from many observers that the eye-catching Dead Island trailer that exploded upon the internet last month misrepresents the game it was designed to promote.

The Dead Island trailer, below, shows a reverse-time account of a young girl on a tropical holiday island being torn away from her parents, become a zombie and eventually be flung out of a window - backed by a poignant piano accompaniment.

It was a huge hit on the internet, trended on social networking site Twitter and sparked live action movie talk. Even celebrities, such as Shaun of the Dead star Simon Pegg, discussed it.

But some said the trailer didn't accurately reflect Dead Island, a first-person four-player co-op open world role-playing game.

"It gives you the feeling about the world we are in," Deep Silver producer Sebastian Reichert countered when Eurogamer asked about the trailer this afternoon.

"Our main approach is you have a realistic... I don't want to say sad approach, but due to the fact it's a harsh topic and you are forced to do awkward things, our game doesn't want to be funny. It's a gritty game.

"You have some characters who are funny because the way they handle their stress is over-the-top comments. But the feeling of the trailer is something we have in the game all the time.

Some felt the Dead Island trailer, produced by Scottish animation company Axis, suggested the game plays like David Cage's narrative-heavy thriller Heavy Rain.

This, according to Reichert, is the "wrong approach".

"The trailer catches the atmosphere of the game perfectly," he insisted. "But if people think they will get Heavy Rain because this was sad and Heavy Rain is sad, that's the completely wrong approach.

"We are an action game. We are forcing you to play fast, to be brutal. This is something the trailer shows. The father has to be brutal to save his kid. The trailer works great.

"A lot of people are pushing in the wrong direction. Like everything, if you present something the first time, it brings up some expectations. With a trailer so far from the game mechanically, those expectations cannot be matched."

Reichert confirmed the harrowing scene depicted in the trailer does form a part of the video game. "This is basically something that happened in this hotel," he said.

When the player visits the hotel they discover remnants of the carnage, Reichert revealed. "But let's not talk any further about this or else you'll spoil me my Easter Eggs."

Reichert said Deep Silver always knew the trailer would draw criticism from those sceptical about its relevance to the game, but it was a risk worth taking.

"Should we go for this risk and have this awesome trailer, or should we remove the risk and have a trailer like anyone else?" he asked. "It was no big question. You go for the risk because you're aware the trailer is not something completely different from your game. It's just a story on that island in this f***ed up world.

"I also heard there are people out there who hate the idea of the trailer because it lies to them. This is something we didn't want to do. We just want to say, 'Hey folks, we have a really cool zombie game,' - that's one of the core messages of the trailer. And we have a serious setting, so enjoy it. I don't want to cause any hate. It's just about getting the people to the game because it's worth it."

Eurogamer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmmm, that review has got me interested. I originally thought it would be a FPS Dead Rising, but the RPG and multiplayer elements have me intrigued. I'll wait for a couple more reviews but i think I'll be picking this up.

The gameplay videos I've seem don't look too bad actually, but the emphasis on melee in first person I don't really like much. I never really liked it in Morrowind and Oblivion, or even in Mount & Blade. Much prefer arrows. Can't see me buying this.

Well I have been convinced that I will not be giving it a go anytime soon - there is no save anytime/anywhere feature, which for an open world game sounds horrible. Imagine having to find a phone everytime you wanted to save in Fallout 3? Bleerghhhh

Strange, Amazon don't currently have this for pre-order on the 360 yet you can pre-order the PS3 version. Isn't it out on both consoles on Friday? I'm sure I saw it on there the other day priced at £29.99 but now it is just saying to sign up to be notified of when it is released...

Gameplay

Limited Edition from Gameplay. £29.99.

If you order it now you won't get it in time for release. Still a bargin if you can wait till Saturday/sometime next week.

Don't know why, but the normal edition is £34.99 and the limited edition is £29.99. I've checked with them and it's not an error. Maybe just some promotional offer?

after I saw the original trailer I was realy looking forward to this, then I saw the first gameplay footage and thought it looked like left 4 dead which put me right off it.

Now after hearing its like fallout with zombies I am going to definately get it, only problem is (well its a problem for me) that its 25 hours long, games rarely hold my attention for more than 10 hours so I will buy it but probably never ever complete it

Gameplay

Limited Edition from Gameplay. £29.99.

If you order it now you won't get it in time for release. Still a bargin if you can wait till Saturday/sometime next week.

Don't know why, but the normal edition is £34.99 and the limited edition is £29.99. I've checked with them and it's not an error. Maybe just some promotional offer?

Thanks for that. I've just pre-ordered it from there.

Just a heads up that I have now cancelled my order from that website. They are now saying that it will be sent out on 16/09/2011 on my account, despite the fact that I pre-ordered it yesterday at 10am and requested next-day delivery.

Just on my way home to play this now, apparently it is pretty long so hopefully it'll keep me occupied for a decent amount of time and save me money in the long run.

I'll report back on what it's like later.

(buying it ment I had to go to gamestation and I got served by this bloke who is always way way WAY to enthusiastic about games, anyway he was telling me that it's absolutely brilliant and that he and his mate spent 5 hours playing it last night

Just a heads up that I have now cancelled my order from that website. They are now saying that it will be sent out on 16/09/2011 on my account, despite the fact that I pre-ordered it yesterday at 10am and requested next-day delivery.

That's because you needed to have order it on Wednesday before 1pm to get it on release.

Got mine yesterday. **** Bargain as game station are doing it for £39.99

Â