Better or worse?

Pelle

Vote Now  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Now

• Better
    • Worse
    • The same

Open to debate Chris for 3 times (I am assuming you are not including last weeks match).

Yeah its bad to lose, and yeah when it does happen its even worse when its to one of those teams that people expected to struggle. But Wigan and West Ham have done well this season, fair play to them, they have definelty punched above their weight and I would suspect that one if not both will struggle next year. Thats not a defense of a bad season before anyone makes the silly mistake of thinking that, its trying to put a bit of perspective on things when certain matches are quoted

Open to debate Chris for 3 times (I am assuming you are not including last weeks match).

Yep, that's the one.

I'm not saying Wigan and West Ham haven't done well and punched above their weight, and in the cold light of day I think you'd have to say that looking back on the season, losing to them both isn't the be all and end all.

However, 4-0 with our 'strongest' side out, though not yet accustomed to one another. 2-1 in a match where we really didn't even show up for the second half. It was one of the most embarrassing narrow defeats I've ever been to. 2-0 at home to any mediocre side is a bit wet. I think all three of those games went beyond just 'losing'.

Anyway, we're only having this discussion because they were mentioned by another poster. Far from our worst this season.

If you're looking at raw stats then the worst ever points total will lead you to conclude it's the worst ever season.

However, considering there isn't much in the points tally then, as ED said, the derby games are deciding factors because the two seasons have been very similar.

We were humiliated under Taylor as well - Bolton (who were shit at the time), Sunderland (the worst ever Prem team up until this season), Blues x 2, Blackburn in the cup.....

However, IMO, this season has been better because:

We've seen flashes of decent football (Taylor never even tried to promote attacking football).

We've seen the emergance of Cahill, Moore, Davis and Co.

We've had the pleasure of seeing genuine quality in Milner and Baros.

And, I'm sorry if it offends, but we beat our nearest rivals twice and will finish above them (compared to being absolutely humiliated twice and finishing below). Not the be all and end all but a deciding factor.

I keep seeing this worst start thing - how long is the start to a season?

This season August and September's League results

Aston Villa 	2-2 	Bolton 	13-08-2005 

Man Utd 	1-0 	Aston Villa 	20-08-2005 

Portsmouth 	1-1 	Aston Villa 	23-08-2005 

Aston Villa 	1-0 	Blackburn 	27-08-2005 

West Ham 	4-0 	Aston Villa 	12-09-2005 

Aston Villa 	1-1 	Tottenham 	17-09-2005 

Chelsea 	2-1 	Aston Villa 	24-09-2005 

W 1 D 3 L3 (2 against previous season's 1-2)
2002/03 August and September's League Results

Aston Villa 	0-1 	Liverpool 	 18-08-2002 

Tottenham 	1-0 	Aston Villa 	24-08-2002 

Aston Villa 	1-0 	Man City 	28-08-2002 

Bolton 	1-0 	Aston Villa 	01-09-2002 

Aston Villa 	2-0 	Charlton 	11-09-2002 

Birmingham 	3-0 	Aston Villa 	16-09-2002 

Aston Villa 	3-2 	Everton 	22-09-2002 

Sunderland 	1-0 	Aston Villa 	28-09-2002

W 3 D 0 L5 with a defeat against the previous season's runnersup, though losing against the side only bettered in being shite by their latest version too

one game more and two points

I think you can choose just about any number of games you like Al, and this season is worse!

By the way from your table, we had three points more then, not two! (9 minus 6 = 3)!

There's a couple of points to pick up on

First - whoever said this season is worse in part due to the pre-season expectation of something decent, well I disagree. My pre-season expectation was pretty much for the sort of shite season we're having.

Second, under GT we could at least win at home 11 times, I think, but we were abysmal away. This time we're only rubbish away, but at home are much worse.

Surely it's more importsant to win your home games, at least from a commercial point of view.

Yes - That's pretty much my point.

Third - the playing squad. I don't think this season's is better at all. I'd say it's worse.

Surely not. We played a lot of that season with Dion in defence, and the decidedly unsprightly Allback up front. Chuck the likes of Crouch, Encks, UDLC, Kinsella and Leonhardsen into the mix and I strguggle to see what was better at all about it.

There's a lot of players still the same - Delaney, Barry, JLloyd, Olly, JPA, Hendrie, Ulises

There's some like for like(ish) - youngsters such as Stefan Moore, Hitz /Luke and Steven Davis (though the latter 2 are better prospects), Schmeichel or Enks / Tommy or Taylor

There's Ronnie Johnson/Laursen, Dion/Ridge, Allback/Phillips, Vassel/Baros,

Crouch, Leonhardsen, Kinsella,

Ian Taylor or Gav

Alan Wright/ Bouma

I haven't gone through everyone, but I'd say there are slightly more players of a higher standard in the current squad, but overall it's smaller and therefore weaker - more susceptible to injuries.

No-one is saying beating Blues is the be all and end all. Its just that theres a shit season where you lose to Blues twice and finish below them, and a shit season where you beat them twice and finish above them.

Exactly. The above quote sums it up perfectly for me.

Plus, i was the one who stated the dol is better than taylor. fair point on finishing runners up 17years ago but i always thought taylor shouldnt've ever came back - never ever going to be more successful. However, my point was based on the fact that we had far less injuries in dol's 1st season and a squad with very similar players to what we've gopt now - and we finished 6th.

Villa fans always want someone else in. Dol hasnt been given a great backing by the boared so i cannot really fault him as much as i can doug.

I think you can choose just about any number of games you like Al, and this season is worse!

2 games...

Birmingham - 02/03 season

lost away 3-0. lost home 2-0. Humiliated

Birmingham - 05/06 season

WON away 0-1. WON home 3-1. Great wins.

BOTH seasons were / have been shite, EXCEPT for the fact that we beat our nearest and dearest TWICE! in both seasons will show a very low league standing, both season will show no cup success or european qualification.

Beating blues has made this season better than the last because we havnt been humiliated by them. Instead weve done them over. That is it. I know its sad but its the only pride we can take at this moment in time due to our current state.

• 2 years later...

What a ridicululous post.

So we have no perspective.

Well 3 yrs ago , Liverpool were absolutely crap and finished 5th - so I bet if Man U and Chelsea overtake them and they finish 3rd then they should all be grateful that that they have improved !!

Expectations change, so do goals. My goal when MON took over was for us to be in the Premier League come May 2007 - so presumably, I should be chuffed now if we finish 14th !!

Â