Blackpool may play a striker in goal

Cracker1234

Blackpool may have to play striker Beattie in goal

James Beattie could end up in goal for Blackpool if the Seasiders fail to land special dispensation to bring in a new keeper.

The Tangerines are down to one shot-stopper after Paul Rachubka damaged his knee again in training.

Matt Gilks is already out, which leaves only the half-fit Richard Kingson available for the clash with Aston Villa.

So Beattie has stuck his name down to fill in for Kingson, who has already needed substituting once this season because of injury.

“Richard is more patched up than anyone in my squad," said Holloway. “Beatts is pretty confident but I haven’t seen him do it yet. Hopefully we’ll get a sub goalie otherwise at this level it will be an absolute joke.”

Holloway admits he will be livid if Beattie does end up having to fill in between the sticks. He said: “That would make this whole division a lottery.

“How can you have the best league in the world and some little rule makes it a lottery and a joke? That’s what it will be if they don’t sanction me a chance to get another goalie.

“If I was a manager and played Aston Villa and they didn’t have a goalkeeper on the bench, I’d say: 'Go and get one' because I wouldn’t try to snap on to that as an advantage.

“I wouldn’t then say , 'Step on his toe at a corner' so they haven’t got a goalie. That shouldn’t be how this season is sorted.”

Mirror