360 three red lights!

Stevo985

I'm meant to be selling my 360 next week to a friend (for cheap, but still), I lent it to another friend until then, however, after his 3rd use he's got 3 red lights flashing on it.

Never happened before, is this the infamous red ring of death?

If so is there anyway to fix it or is it completely ****?

Mine is a first Gen machine, been sent back twice under warranty and got the 3 rings again. Spoke to Microsoft who said now it is out of warranty I'd have to pay £80 for a repair. Checked out youtube vids and bought a repair kit off ebay (approx £5), followed the youtube video instructions nd never had a problem since.

Basically the heatsinks are removed from the motherboard and the clamps holding it on (the x clamp) is replaced with screws and washers, which allow the board to expand/contract under heat.

I found the whole excersise quite thereputic, the dust and shit inside the xbox was a right mess and in the end I never had a problem since.

The problem with launch Xboxes was poor design. The overheat and this cracks the solder, which breaks the Xbox. To be fair to the designers, the year the Xbox 360 was first manufactured was also the year that European law was changed banning lead based solder in electrical products. lead free solder is shite.

Mine is a first Gen machine, been sent back twice under warranty and got the 3 rings again. Spoke to Microsoft who said now it is out of warranty I'd have to pay £80 for a repair. Checked out youtube vids and bought a repair kit off ebay (approx £5), followed the youtube video instructions nd never had a problem since.

Basically the heatsinks are removed from the motherboard and the clamps holding it on (the x clamp) is replaced with screws and washers, which allow the board to expand/contract under heat.

I found the whole excersise quite thereputic, the dust and shit inside the xbox was a right mess and in the end I never had a problem since.

Interesting, I'm going to have to try this. Mine is an old Xbox (don't know if it's first gen as you say, but I presume it is/close to be being as it doesnt have HDMI) and it's started to freeze not only in games but on the menu now too. Will give one of these repair kits a go

The Slim model feels so much more robust than my first Xbox (first gen machine). The old one had me worried it would give up the ghost anytime something I've never even thought about with the S. It's also very quiet compared to the old one.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic.

I never fixed this problem, but with Gears of War 3 being released it's got me eager to fix my RROD problem.

I've googled it and there seems to be loads of different solutions ranging from simple to very complicated (for someone like me with no experience of this stuff)

So whilst I could just choose one at random and go for it, I was wondering if anyone's used one of these online guides for fixing the RROD and can recommend one in particular?

there is a shop about 200 yards from my work In Olton/Acocks Green who can probably fix it.

Which one (I used to live in Acocks Green and my parents still do)

And out of interest, where do you work?

• 5 weeks later...
I had 2 RROD consoles and used this Repair Kit. This was around 6 weeks ago and both consoles are still working today. An opening tool kit will also help you.

Just to bump this topic if anyone else is having problems.

Bought the kit above. Only cost a couple of quid. Also had to buy a torx screwdriver set, but that was only £4 I think.

Anyway, the work was fiddly and I damaged the Xbox casing a bit, but nothing that will effect the console.

Ultimately it worked and everything is working fine now. Been around 4 weeks since i did it and still working fine.

So I'd recommend the above kit if anyone's having problems and you don't mind doing some of the fiddly work yourself.

When it happened to me I went on to the Microsoft website and registered the X-box (it was out of warranty), then filled out the from online selecting the red ring of death option. They give you a postage form to print off and stick on the front so the postage is paid for. Then I sent it off and they returned it a week later, fixed, with a months free X-box live subscription.

I'd say that is the way to go.

there is a shop about 200 yards from my work In Olton/Acocks Green who can probably fix it.

Which one (I used to live in Acocks Green and my parents still do)

And out of interest, where do you work?

holiday company Anatolian Sky 81 warwick road.

the shop is new and on the little strip opposit MacDonalds and the petrol garage.

they also sell parts, repairs and sell pre owned games.

they are a couple I think and are very good to chat to.

Â