• Downing
    • A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Albrighton (for Petrov 83)
    • Heskey (for Agbonlahor 86)

Poor (and boring) game, didn't create enough. Fulham are a good side, but were there for the taking.

Makoun was good, some excellent touches and decisions, quality player we got there, but not as good as vs Man.Utd. Downing our only player able to create something yesterday, so I went for him as MOTM.

Everyone else just average. Brad at fault for both goals. No major mistakes, but could have done better in both situations imo.

There are many words that could be used to describe that game but boring is not one of them.

Gone for Makoun as MoM.

I would not have put this game down as boring, far from it. It was dissapointing how we twice let our lead slip, but it was not an awful performance.

Why is it, that everytime we score, we allow teams to come at us?

If the Ball is up the other end, then they cant hurt us!!!!

When we defend like that, all it does is build preesure on our defenders, and guess what, two defensive lapses cost us the game. For some reason, once we score, we seem to get nervous, give the ball away, and loose the initiative.

It fcuking infuriating, but proberly shows that our new found confidence is still quite shakey?

Boring in the sense that apart from the goals we didn't create any (big) chances, and neither did Fulham, and apart from the first 15 where we played well and the last 5 when it's always a bit nervy if you're drawing it was kind of a dull affair imo. As dull as a 2-2 match can be if you will.

Besides Fulham is a boring team with boring players, I mean Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell, come on :lol:

I've done my usual trick of ignoring football in the 24 hours that follow a disappointing result. So in the absense of a match report after the game, here is my take on events:

Turnout - IIRC, it was knocking around the 36k mark, which wasnt bad considering that Fulhum didnt bring too many fans.

Atmosphere - Terrible. Took Fulhum scoring for anyone to wake up. Really need the people at the front of the Upper Holte and back of the Lower Holte to pick up the songs from the back of the stand. There's no good expecting people to just stand up and start singing on their own, because it wont happen.

Houllier - Went for the team selection that I would have gone for, so cant complain. Always think Gabby is more solid defensively than Albrighton so I can sympathise with this decision. Thought Reo Coker should have come on for Makoun around the 70th minute mark, or even after we'd gone 2-1 up. Where was Bannan? Thought he was deserving of a place on the bench.

Friedel - At fault for both goals.

Walker - Man of the match by a country mile from the game I was watching. Defensively, he was superb, which is the first time I've said that. He is a great athlete, and fully deserves his England call up. Really hope we can keep him.

Dunne & Collins - Did nothing wrong. Couldnt be blamed for either goal really.

Clark - Did OK Defensively but is never quick enough to play the ball forward. More solid than Warnock, but I think Houllier dropped a clanger in not getting a left back in. Young should fit in here when fit.

Downing - Best attacking player on the day. Would have liked to have seen him on the left for a greater period of time. Gave up trying in the second half or alternatively Hughes earmarked him at half time to the Fulhum defense, which may be more likely.

Makoun - Ive noticed that people have been giving him the Man of the match award, which i'm far from sure about. Defensively, Petrov was far busier in the first half. Makoun did play some lovely passes and has a knack of being able to find people in space, but his performance was nowhere near that of Walker in my opinion. Wasnt impressed with Collins & co going to town on him after Fulhums equaliser, but he was partly responsible and shouldnt have given Sidwell so much space. His confidence visibly dropped after this, and he wasnt really the same after. Expect big things from him, but this wasnt the world class display that many are talking about (IMO).

Petrov - Used up all his energy in the first half. Held the midfield together well, but I feel with Makoun and Petrov, we lack urgency. Both of them tend to swan around to a certain extent, so I would really like to see Reo Coker or Bradley start the next game.

Gabby - Useless with his back to goal. But tbh, I dont massively rate Albrighton at the moment either. Would rather see Young & Downing on the wings, with perhaps Delfouneso or even Delph operating in Young's current position. (Not going to happen though).

Young - Had an off day. Didnt put a massive amount of effort in. Was surprised to see him leaving all the free kicks to Downing though. One of them was in exactly the spot he struck the goal against Bolton from.

Bent - Tried, but didnt achieve a lot. Actually not the fastest player in the world and showed that he needs to be in the penalty area to be effective.

I thought we played some good stuff saturday , certain players underperformed which cost us the 3 points , i thought Makoun looked good in the centre of the park but like others have said he needs an enforcer next to him , Petrov doesnt cut it for me some things he does well but his lack of mobility causes concern . Friedel seems to be getting the main blame for both goals personally i think mistakes from us leading up to both goals needs more of a look at than Friedels goalkeeping . And by that i mean look at Petrov's poor decision making .

It was nice to see Gabby moved to the centre and Ash moved back out to the wing , we seemed to look more at ease when we made this switch however i thought Bent got little service though wasted what few chances he got .

Â