• Downing
    • A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Albrighton (for Petrov 83)
    • Heskey (for Agbonlahor 86)

Must admit, i'm getting really pissed off seeing Gabby shoved on the left every game.

What a waste of time, just hamstinging ourselves from the off. We've got 3 very good wingers at the club, and Gabby on the left just contributes Fuk all to the team.

Absolutely bewildering..

Just watched the game. Very ugly stuff, by both teams. But it being a home game, we should have held them at 2-1, but yet again, couldn't see the game off.

I don't see how Makoun is getting MOTM votes... for me, he started off strong, but slowly disappeared throughout the match. Downing was easily MOTM for me.

Well taken goal by Walker, I like how he gets forward. Friedel had a very poor game. Everyone else was just mediocre.

Bradley for Petrov and Heskey for Gabby next match, please.

Must admit, i'm getting really pissed off seeing Gabby shoved on the left every game.

What a waste of time, just hamstinging ourselves from the off. We've got 3 very good wingers at the club, and Gabby on the left just contributes Fuk all to the team.

Absolutely bewildering..

I agree - it's not a good position for him to be in.

I think Houllier wants to have him on the pitch but doesn't know quite where to put him - His ball control/skill and crossing isn't good enough to play on the wing, he hasn't got good enough positional sense to play up front (Bent is a lot better), he isn't creative enough and doesn't have the flair or skill to play in the hole...

If he didn't have dangerous pace, he wouldn't be anywhere near the team I think.

We either need to play him in a 4-4-2 or not at all.

A game totally made into a lottery because of conditions. You only have to look at the other scores.

Bad poits - we never played the condition. As other results and all 4 goals proved, we should have shot on site, put crosses into the area for the ball to swerve - we hardly did it, instead atempting to play tippy tappy - which was never going to work in those conditions.

Gabby and Ash - they are becoming a total and utter waste of space - they are totally ineffective at the minute. They either need to improve of be shipped out.

Good points - you can see right in front of you the improvements we are making. I know the tble don't say it, but I feel we are now out of the relegation battle, and within the next few weeks will be around 9th, and can start looking at getting 7th which should get us Europa.

Downing. Thought he has struggled of late, but yesterday worked his socks off again. All our good play came through him.

Makoun - good and bad. Good - one touch play is second to none. However, he needs to learn composure. Many times yesterday he put us into trouble by trying a one touch pass near our own area. However, looked good and promosing for future

Bad - probaby his worst game so far, but Walker still looks class - Spurs will never sell him !.

A game totally made into a lottery because of conditions. You only have to look at the other scores.

Bad poits - we never played the condition. As other results and all 4 goals proved, we should have shot on site, put crosses into the area for the ball to swerve - we hardly did it, instead atempting to play tippy tappy - which was never going to work in those conditions.

Gabby and Ash - they are becoming a total and utter waste of space - they are totally ineffective at the minute. They either need to improve of be shipped out.

Good points - you can see right in front of you the improvements we are making. I know the tble don't say it, but I feel we are now out of the relegation battle, and within the next few weeks will be around 9th, and can start looking at getting 7th which should get us Europa.

Downing. Thought he has struggled of late, but yesterday worked his socks off again. All our good play came through him.

Makoun - good and bad. Good - one touch play is second to none. However, he needs to learn composure. Many times yesterday he put us into trouble by trying a one touch pass near our own area. However, looked good and promosing for future

Bad - probaby his worst game so far, but Walker still looks class - Spurs will never sell him !.

Think thats a little harsh on gabby, he has never been a left winger and never will yet for some reason Houllier keeps playing him there. Agree with you about Makoun,Walker and Downing, thought he was class yesterday

Can't choose who is MOTM as everyone except for Friedel were all very average.

Are you serious? Makoun put in the best first half performance from a midfielder at VP I have ever seen. Easily MOTM.

Petrov was absolutely disbolical. His days are up. We need Reo in there going forward.

Dissapointed with Friedel. Both goals could have been avoided if he had done his job.

Gabby was rubbish, but I don't expect anything else.

Yesterday was a pretty good performance. Fulham are no mugs and they drew with us from 2 defensive errors on our part.

No-one was terrible. Petrov was pretty good, Makoun excellent once again, Downing bit more direct, physical and determined.

I thought Gerard should have made changes around the 60 min mark when we started to lose concentration and make silly mistakes. Architects of our own downfall at the time and we needed NRC and Heskey for a bit of presence further up the pitch. I could see why he didn't, he probably thought we were still able to step it up and get another couple and it almost worked out like that.

Their first goal Friedel probably should have done better with. Took too long to go down but was probably unsighted. Once he got down to the shot he didn't have time to parry it or hold it. Even then one of Dunne or Collins should have been there before Johnson.

Their second goal shows why Friedel should stay on his line. He came for the ball but got impeded by Dunne, who successfully shielded Dempsey and allowed him to get his head on the ball.

My Ratings:

Friedel - 7 - Two errors for the two goals but some good saves too, especially saving a point near the end.

Walker - 5 - Wasn't having a great match before the goal, superb run and shot though. Bent's lack of deflection put Schwarzer off for that one though.

Collins - 6 - Can't remember anything he did right or wrong.

Dunne - 6 - Didn't help with their second goal.

Clark - 6 - See Collins.

Downing - 7 - More direct, made a few hard challenges. Don't agree it was an intentional dive. He saw Sidwell charging at him and thought 'this ****'s gonna break my leg here' and just threw himself out the way. When the expected reducer didn't come him he looked a bit daft.

Petrov - 7 - Composed play.

Makoun - 8 - Superb.

Gabby - 6 - Tried hard but not great on the wing. He does help Clark a lot out there though, which is why I think Gerard likes to keep him there.

Young - 6 - Take a few tips from Downing I think.

Bent - 7 - Always dangerous, off-side mightily close to the point of he probably should have got the benefit of the doubt. Maybe could have controlled 2 through balls better instead of letting them run past him.

Next week against Blackpool we need to go with:

strikers - Bent and Heskey

midfielders - Downing, Bradley, Makoun, Young

defenders - Walker, Cuellar, Collins, Clarke

goalkeeper - Friedel

Bench - Dunne, Reo Coker, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph, Bannan, Marshall

Dropped - Agbonlahor, Petrov and the rest.

IMO that's a bit harsh on gabby, it's not his fault he's being played in a position GH should know by now he can't.

He is a shadow of his former self. Dropping him may give him the kick up the arse he needs.

Yeah great idea! Play the STRIKER at left wing back and then drop him when he doesn't perform.

Genius.

No players out injured, 3 of his own players in the starting line up, terrible selection decision with Gabby and Young. No excuses available today for Houllier that simply wasn't good enough, not even close to being good enough.

Yeah, did smack of managerial selection/tactic problems.

You could say the defence should have been better and the keeper should have definitely been better.

However, not realising the problems on the pitch and making any form of subs way earlier was a massive fail. Gabby out there was a massive fail.

As soon as we went 2-1 up we were screaming to make a change sooner and set things a light. Instead leaving it till the last minute when theres no time for any sub to make a real impact (and could they even be arsed, I dont blaime them).

Another game that was easily winnable and all it needed was to match them tactically and it was in the bag. That is down to the manager.

You certainly make some good and valid points here.

Agree its harsh on gabby, he was shit, but that position does not come natural to him at all. Everyone but Houllier knows what Gabby is about I think :?:

No players out injured, 3 of his own players in the starting line up, terrible selection decision with Gabby and Young. No excuses available today for Houllier that simply wasn't good enough, not even close to being good enough.

Yeah, did smack of managerial selection/tactic problems.

You could say the defence should have been better and the keeper should have definitely been better.

However, not realising the problems on the pitch and making any form of subs way earlier was a massive fail. Gabby out there was a massive fail.

As soon as we went 2-1 up we were screaming to make a change sooner and set things a light. Instead leaving it till the last minute when theres no time for any sub to make a real impact (and could they even be arsed, I dont blaime them).

Another game that was easily winnable and all it needed was to match them tactically and it was in the bag. That is down to the manager.

The two posts quoted above are spot on. Well said.

Can't choose who is MOTM as everyone except for Friedel were all very average.

Are you serious? Makoun put in the best first half performance from a midfielder at VP I have ever seen. Easily MOTM.

Err, are you on drugs dude??? For a start, Makoun played much better at Old Trafford on Tuesday than he did yesterday.

Secondly, some absolutely outstanding midfielders have graced the Villa Park pitch over the years, and if Makoun's performance really was the best Midfield performance you've ever seen at VP, then it begs the following questions:

1. When did you become a Villa fan, on Wednesday?

2. Was Saturday's game your first Villa match?

3. How old are you?

The only thing I can think of it was your first football match and you were measuring Makoun's performance against that of Petrov.

CanI agree, I wasn't too impressed with Makoun's performance, a bit clumsy in his challenges but he is new and still adjusting. don't know what's happened to Petrov, he's been so solid for us before but looked crap yesterday. Think it's time we gave Bannan and Bradley a good go, Bannan absolutely dominated in the Blackburn victory and he deserves a start very soon. Agbonlahor was crap in the left midfield role today and to me now should be just a replacement for Darren Bent.

All in all though this game was never going to be easy. Fulham are no pushovers and have looked good recently. A draw was a fair result.

Is it just me or has every1 failed to realise that gabby has been shoved out left because superstar ashley young insists on playing off the forward through the middle and he is getting absolutely no goals, its time to go back to 442 and have young on left or right and play a proper centre forward up there which would also bring bent on! Makoun and NRC in middle as petrov goes missing far to often to late into games!

As for the defence well in most games u have seen this weekend most teams cant defend, we proved we can vs man city, for me we lack goals big time and our leading scorer is downing i think with 6, thats wank! Get the tactics right hou and we should start winning games and climb that table coz once again were too close to bottom 3!

Poor (and boring) game, didn't create enough. Fulham are a good side, but were there for the taking.

Makoun was good, some excellent touches and decisions, quality player we got there, but not as good as vs Man.Utd. Downing our only player able to create something yesterday, so I went for him as MOTM.

Everyone else just average. Brad at fault for both goals. No major mistakes, but could have done better in both situations imo.

Â