Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

Genuinely neutral. As with cats (and people), it depends on the individual. I've met some that are delightful, some that are frankly horrible. I would never have one because they are too high maintenance, and I am totally unwilling to pick up dog shit. Doesn't mean I hate them though.

Do you have kids 'mjmooney?'

Only asking from the point of view if you have, did you change their nappies? ;)

Anyone know anything about Huskies? 

Edited by Morpheus

When I was going to get a dog I very nearly got a husky. I think they're absolutely beautiful dogs. Had a puppy "reserved" but my living situation changed and I had to do a u turn on the whole thing. Wasn't fair to get one when I was living on my own.

As for the dog, I've never had one, but from what I'd researched the bad points about them are they're hard to train compared to a lot of dogs and you can't let them off the lead in open areas. They're bred to run, so if you leave your husky to roam free there's a good chance he could get a scent or see a bird or whatever and just run. And when he runs he won't stop for a long time. So basically you can end up losing them pretty easily.

I'd still love to have one. They're gorgeous. but I don't think they're the easiest dog to own.

Genuinely neutral. As with cats (and people), it depends on the individual. I've met some that are delightful, some that are frankly horrible. I would never have one because they are too high maintenance, and I am totally unwilling to pick up dog shit. Doesn't mean I hate them though.

Only asking from the point of view if you have, did you change their nappies?

Yeah, they are a pain in the arse.. Sweet dogs, but the one we had didn't listen, was house trained but we couldn't let him off the lead because he wouldn't come back.. 

Unlike the staffie we had, who would hang on your every word..

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Yeah Stevo985 have read that about them and they tend to howl if you don't exercise them enough. Presently thinking of moving home and if i do it will be to somewhere where i have room to have a Dog not only because i've wanted to have a Dog but also with a view to keeping myself fit having to walk it on a regular basis.

Not sure its going to the correct fit for me as i've been told Huskies also don't particularly like cats either (i've two) but i wonder can they become used to cats if purchased as a puppy?

Only asking from the point of view if you have, did you change their nappies?

Yeah, they are a pain in the arse.. Sweet dogs, but the one we had didn't listen, was house trained but we couldn't let him off the lead because he wouldn't come back.. 

Unlike the staffie we had, who would hang on your every word..

That would be a concern for me also AF as i'd want to bring the Dog with me around the Northern Irish Coast to let he/she run on the beach. Is there no way they can be trained not to do this?

Not sure its going to the correct fit for me as i've been told Huskies also don't particularly like cats either (i've two) but i wonder can they become used to cats if purchased as a puppy?

Yeah I've heard they're ok if they're around them from being a puppy (same with kids)

But if not, they become very territorial and won't take kindly to them.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like a great choice for you, might be worth setting your heart on a different breed.

That would be a concern for me also AF as i'd want to bring the Dog with me around the Northern Irish Coast to let he/she run on the beach. Is there no way they can be trained not to do this?

Maybe, I'm not entirely sure. There probably is a way.. But we tried everything and he just seem to override it with his natural instinct to run away.. Very cunning dogs.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Ok Stevo and AF many thanks.

Also like the Collie breed (lassie) but again know nothing about their temperament and so on. No problems with taking time to groom them and so as i'm an animal lover.

Not really. Have a google and read some forums.

There are people who have had their Husky for 10 years, not had a problem, then one day they see a rabbit or something and they're gone.

It's instinct for them. It's how they're bred.

If you want a dog to walk on the beach with without it on it's lead then a husky quite simply isn't the dog for you. I love them, and I'd love to have one, so I can understand you wanting one. But with a dog you have to choose the right breed and unfortunately it sounds like Husky doesn't suit :(

My neighbour had a lurcher which ended up making a break for freedom during a walk. They got a call 24 hours later and it was over a hundred miles away. :crylaugh: Some dog lovers had nearly ran it over and decided to take it with them for safekeeping. Dogs can be very time consuming.

I thought it would be best to do it early on (leaving him alone) than to do it when he's already in a routine. I was thinking something like me and the missus taking 2 weeks off each over 4 weeks, and gradually getting longer leaving the dog alone.

Yes Rob, that was the only thing I was worried about, the hair getting everywhere. Maybe a Lab would be better? Golden's just look so cool and look like being your best bud for life :(

If you both work full time, then without being harsh you shouldn't be getting a puppy or even thinking about getting one.

Puppies take a ridiculously long time to bring up, even with all the research and prep in the world you wont be ready unless you've experienced it before.

Even crate training them they would still need to be worked up to a long spell in there. You cannot just dump it in there and go to work, the thing will be emotionally scared before you know it and make any training 100 times harder.

We have a lab puppy, 19 months old now and only just getting to the sleep around the house stage.

Training takes time, walking takes time. Took me a year to train him to walk without the urge to pull and that was starting as soon as he was aloud out at about 10 weeks old. You dont need choke collars, or things round their mouth to train a dog to walk well just patience anyone says different they're just lazy and thats the case with any training.

If you do end up getting a dog its a massive commitment and dont underestimate that, far too many people end up getting rid because the dog did this the dog did that. The dog did nothing its always the owners fault always! Makes me laugh when people say ooo puppies eat everything, chew the furniture.... they only did that because their owner wasn't watching them. :lol:

Oh and stay well clear of the so called dog whisper training bollocks, all the dominance pack lead crap is exactly that rubbish and cruel for no reason.

My mate had a Boxer that ran off in the park and never came back. Bonkers!

On the subject of Lab hair. Ours is the same, moults all year round. Best to save the hair and stuff pillows with it.

Labradoodles are a great alternative, although some of them do look a little strange.

Cats, meh!  ;)

Good on your dad! What's the story? When the dog was out for a walk?

As for loving them or hating them, I love all animals. But generally speaking, for me, dogs are like farts - I only like my own. And they stink.

• Like 1

So some bastard kicked our young (3 year old) Black Labrador yesterday. So my dad broke his nose. 

I take it your dog wasn't doing anything untoward like growling at his kids or anything?  If not, then good on your dad, I'd have done the same.

Â