Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

A question for cat owners: do you think it’s cruel to spray a cat with water, for the purpose of ‘telling off’ / ‘stopping them doing something’ ?

(I’m talking a little squeeze of a small mist spray, not a hose pipe!)

We inherited a cat from a neighbour who we’re looking to rehome because he bullies our existing wuss of a cat. (Edwin (existing cat) spends most of his day hiding under the bed or in the loft now).

On the advert to rehome (Facebook 😒) I mentioned that he can get boisterous on the night, so we sometimes give him a little spray, and some bint has commented, that spraying a cat is torture to them and the same as hitting them 😂

To explain, this cat we inherited flips out sometimes. And attacks our ankles for no reason. He also has REALLY sharp claws (and I’ve had cats since I was a kid, and have never been bothered by getting scratched or bitten). We think he was mistreated by previous owners. He gripped onto me with his teeth a few months back, and I had a purple bruise.

sounds like he's playing. if he was properly attacking you, trust me, you'd know about it. spraying him with water will stop the immediate 'attack' but he'll never think he's doing anything wrong

get yourself some more toys for him to play with

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I've sprayed mine with a water pistol twice today for stalking voles,

My cat was remiss for not stalking pocket gophers, I would sprayed him for not stalking if I thought it would have worked. Sadly some animal did its own stalking ... likely a coyote, cougar or even a wrong end of  a racoon.

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

He honestly just changes character when it goes dark. It’s light still now and he’s the same relaxed, chilled-out cat he is in the day. But when the sun’s gone, it’s like having a little Wealdstone raider waiting around each door frame for you, claws out, “you want some?!”

Sounds like he's in hunt mode and has too much energy. As suggested above, try playing with him a bit around 9pm(?) or just chuck him outside whilst the weather is good. During the warmer months, ours are in asleep all day and then go roaming in the night. 

• Like 1

Sounds to me like he is not used to loving/caring owners yet.We had a cat like that (Max ) He was only just this side of ferral but after a few months of TLC he bacame a very lovable cat.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tegis said:

- Good morning servant, I have left you this prize. Please enjoy it while I take a nap.

https://i.imgur.com/PPyXxNW.pnguPPCIvt.png

Biggest one since he brought home a rabbit. (pic upthread). word removed

The cutest, most loving, most friendly killing machines ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently in the process of kidnapping a cat, I kept on seeing him roaming around outside, the other day I opened the window and got his attention and chucked him some ham which he seemed to enjoy, I have been out and bought some proper cat treats and have been just leaving it outside the window during the day, I've not seen him for a while but I'm gunna make it my mission to befriend him and try and coax him inside my flat.

My landlord won't let me have pets but the way I see it this won't be a pet, it'll just be a visitor every now and again.

I've decided to name him Theodore.

• Like 4

We have befriended a cat like that.She lives up the road and comes to our house 2/3 times a day to get fed.We have even bought her a cat bowl for her food and we buy cat food and cat biscutes in our groceries every week.She is well trained,after her last meal of the day ( from us ) we close the blinds and she goes home for the night.We will see her again the next morning,fat lump that she is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

My little bugger cost me £40 yesterday by banging his eye. He could only half open it, so had to take him into the vets, and he got an injection (which seems to have sorted him out). 

Good job he's so handsome. 

20221102_151537.jpg

Table could do with a bit of attention, sand it down and revarnish maybe 🤔 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2022 at 18:40, leemond2008 said:

I'm currently in the process of kidnapping a cat, I kept on seeing him roaming around outside, the other day I opened the window and got his attention and chucked him some ham which he seemed to enjoy, I have been out and bought some proper cat treats and have been just leaving it outside the window during the day, I've not seen him for a while but I'm gunna make it my mission to befriend him and try and coax him inside my flat.

My landlord won't let me have pets but the way I see it this won't be a pet, it'll just be a visitor every now and again.

I've decided to name him Theodore.

So poor old Theodore isn't doing too well at all.

Since I posted that back in September he has well and truly become my pal, almost every day he comes to my window and waits for me to give him some grub, I've known him to sit out there for 3 or 4 hours, he's only come inside a couple of times, he's a proper outdoor cat, but he's really affectionate, if I go outside to him he runs over and loves a load of fuss, he just doesn't like coming inside.

anyways, about a week ago he came to the window and I assumed he'd been scrapping because his eye was all swollen, a few days later the swelling had gone down but it was really pussy and weepy, I saw him yesterday and now its badly bloodshot and is clouding over, looks like he's already gone completely blind in it.

The problem is that he isn't actually my cat, I just feed the poor sod and I'm sure that he has a home because of the times that I see him, its almost as if he gets thrown out during office hours because I see him a lot more on weekdays than I do of a weekend.

I have called the RSPCA and told them that I could get him inside my flat and they could send someone out but they just told me that I have gotta take him to a vet and then if the treatment is minor I've gotta go and pick him up and bring him back here again, now I don't drive and I don't have a cat box to shove him inside and I doubt if work would be too happy if I told them I'm just nipping out for half a day to take someone else's cat to the vets.

They also pretty much said that if he isn't chipped and it is anything more than minor that they'd probably just put him down.

Cat decided to make itself at home on the sofa 

expect we don’t have a cat 

he’s a lovely old ball of fluff but we can’t open our front door without him darting out from nowhere and legging it into the house and then doing sad eyes at us when we pick him up and put him outside like dino in the credits from the Flintstones  

94AC2E0A-4F1D-455B-87D1-F34ED07FA23B.jpeg

• Like 3

Â