Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think both of you realise the damage that is being done so you don't see things differently in that sense.  The only difference, to put it bluntly, is that only one of you seems to care.

To be fair, we both care, but I care more for the birds than the cats, and Ruge the other way round, perhaps.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

To be fair, we both care, but I care more for the birds than the cats, and Ruge the other way round, perhaps.

I love birds tbf. Can sit there watching them for hours if I had the time. As I said, I didn't know the damage it was doing. 

• Like 1

Every nature documentry stress`es survival of the fittest.The weaker ones get killed off or eaten and the fitter/smarter stronger ones go on to survive and pass on their genes to the next generation.Looking at it this way, cats are actually helping the other critters to survive better.I know cats were introduced by us but then so were countless other species introduced into different inviroments. 

If we, as sentient beings though, have the opportunity to intervene to stop another Dodo type scenario is that not something worthwhile as an endeavour? Since the Zoolological community made the move away from showing Elephants and Tigers off as some sort of freak show and made a conscious move towards preservation and conservation it has been a success overall only captive breeding programmes are not foolproof and if the opportunity arises to preserve a small piece of natural habitat I'd have thought we could handle that without anyone having to worry about their rights to own a pet being trampled on.

And I love cats me.

Of course everyone is overlooking the idea that cats were used to warn of evil and all that so I'm sure its just a cover for the aliens to finally get off Antartica and give them some feeding grounds down by the fox glacier and that ;)

41 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Every nature documentry stress`es survival of the fittest.The weaker ones get killed off or eaten and the fitter/smarter stronger ones go on to survive and pass on their genes to the next generation.Looking at it this way, cats are actually helping the other critters to survive better.I know cats were introduced by us but then so were countless other species introduced into different inviroments. 

You're conflating 2 completely different scenarios.  Survival of the fittest goes out the window when a species has been artificially introduced into an environment not set up to handle it.  Hence why invasive species are so catastrophic for bio-diversity.  See also lion fish in the Atlantic, snakeheads in North America etc.  There are many examples.  Anyway, I think everyone gets the general jist by now.

• Like 2

Always been a dog person. But when I moved in with Mrs T 10 years ago she had two cats. Tinkerbell and Charlie. I realised they have personalities too. Tinkerbell liked to be fussed and stroked, Charlie hates every one, comes in and whinges until he is fed and then goes to bed, until its time to go out again. The sodding neighbours over the road decided to keep leaving food out and Tinkerbell went to live over there, until she became ill. Then they came to tell us OUR cat was ill in their back garden. Too late Tink had to be put to sleep. I told them if they ever start feeding Charlie I will brick their windows. Little shit he hates me, sleeps on my soft top ( I keep a lint roller in the boot and have to get his bloody hair off every time I go out), he lies on my clothes, gets on my seat as soon as I get up to do something, and wakes me up in the night if he is in for no reason at all. He wont eat unless I stand by his bowl for a few minutes and for some reason has to come and watch me on the bog. He lets Mrs T stroke him, but does ninja tactics if I try. He follows me up and down garden and sits by me in the sun (unless I reach out to pat him)

Little shit, yep I love him to bits he is a grumpy old man like me . 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 4

On 05/09/2018 at 13:44, Rugeley Villa said:

I understand the cat shit argument, and I'm with you on that. I can't imagine that's pleasant at all. 

It's not just cat shit.

It's cats fighting with other cats because they're just let out to 'do their thing' and the owners only really care if they have to fork out for a vet's bill or because their own cat is the one to get hurt.

It's cats digging up people's gardens and plants when they have a piss or a shit.

It's cats trying to get in to people's houses through open windows that mean you've got to be on the alert so you don't have someone else's pet coming in to your house and causing all sorts of mayhem - knocking stuff over, getting scared and pissing all over the place, scratching the shit out of your furniture, &c.

It's not really cats with which I have a problem (I don't - I find it hard to dislike any animals), it's their owners.

Edited by snowychap
Edited out a somewhat indelicate comment given someone else's circumstance.

44 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's cats trying to get in to people's houses through open windows that mean you've got to be on the alert so you don't have someone else's pet coming in to your house and causing all sorts of mayhem 

What, cats like this ? 

IMG_2870.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Guess who returned 20 hours later at 1AM?

Cheeky devil

Great news. Soft bastard that I am, I was quite worried about Reggie. I know what it's like to lose them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Great news. Soft bastard that I am, I was quite worried about Reggie. I know what it's like to lose them. 

I rode my bike all over the area last night whistling for him to no avail. I admit at a couple of points I could feel tears well up. You don't realize just how deep the bond can become. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:00, Rugeley Villa said:

I went to a zoo the other year, and they had what looked like a domesticated cat in one of the enclosures. It was just like a normal cat, but bigger. They live in parts of Scotland, and are able to live in the wild and survive. Lovely looking things, but I can imagine they can be very vicious. My mum used to have two feral cats, well part feral. They were a bit bigger than your usual cat, and obviously had a bit more about them in terms of hunting. One got mauled to death by a staffy. 

That's unusual Staffies are normally very loving. We used to look after a friends Staffy some weekends. Fantastic loving dog. He wanted to play with Charlie, but left with a scar on his nose. We cant look after him any more as Charlie wont let him. 

3 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

That's unusual Staffies are normally very loving. We used to look after a friends Staffy some weekends. Fantastic loving dog. He wanted to play with Charlie, but left with a scar on his nose. We cant look after him any more as Charlie wont let him. 

They have a bad reputation, but imo it's pure ignorance. Very loving dog, and a good family dog, regardless of what some people say about them. The only thing with a staffy is, that if you do get a bad un for whatever reason, or one does turn for whatever reason, they can do some damage. Our cat ruled over our staffy, and the dog knew it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â