Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

23 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Thats the biggest load of BS I have ever read. Cats are preying on Bugs? and other insects ?

13 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

our other cat ...chases white butterflies sometimes and if she catches one she will eat it....Im sure this is not doing any real harm to the enviroment

which bit of killing indigenous wildlife is not doing harm to the environment? That's absolutely harmful, not least to the butterflies. Multiply by the number of cats and there's as I posted earlier, a veritable slaughter of natural wildlife being done by Cats, exterminations and annihalations of native species. Cats are terrible for wildlife.

Im sorry,I still find it hard to believe that a spoilt moggy will go all the way to the locale forest/nature reserve just to catch insects and birds etc etc.I am absoutely certain that the cats in question are feral cats, ones that are trying to catch food for themselves not some game.I blame the owners of cats who just dont give a shit.You will find that your average house cat does two things.Eating makes it sleepy and sleeping makes it hungry. 

Just now, PussEKatt said:

Im sorry,I still find it hard to believe that a spoilt moggy will go all the way to the locale forest/nature reserve just to catch insects and birds etc etc.I am absoutely certain that the cats in question are feral cats, ones that are trying to catch food for themselves not some game.I blame the owners of cats who just dont give a shit.You will find that your average house cat does two things.Eating makes it sleepy and sleeping makes it hungry. 

I'd say we'll probably have to agree to disagree then.  Just don't move to Omaui.

I don't view my cats' capture of rats and mice as a bad thing.  They're pests, not wildlife as far as I'm concerned.  They did not feast on cultivated vegetable gardens or live in attics before the arrival of man in the area and were probably present in smaller numbers, as birds of prey and other predators had an easier time catching when land wasn't fenced in to small parcels with large structures on them.

That said, if I see them playing with prey that they have not yet killed I will always try to liberate it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I don't view my cats' capture of rats and mice as a bad thing.  They're pests, not wildlife as far as I'm concerned.  They did not feast on cultivated vegetable gardens or live in attics before the arrival of man in the area and were probably present in smaller numbers, as birds of prey and other predators had an easier time catching when land wasn't fenced in to small parcels with large structures on them.

That said, if I see them playing with prey that they have not yet killed I will always try to liberate it.

The referenced articles specifically aren't talking about household pests. Nobody has mentioned mice or rats.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The referenced articles specifically aren't talking about household pests. Nobody has mentioned mice or rats.

Mice and rats are the extent of the biodiversity being threatened by my cats and others like them.  The implication in this thread has been that cats as a whole are a threat, not just specific cats in specific areas.

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Having lived in New Zealand for a while I can say that the only place where you can see native birds eg Kiwi,Kalapo,Fantail or Tui is at the zoo, so I dont know what wild life they are talking about !?

I've spent the sum total of three weeks of my life in NZ and have seen three out of the four you mentioned in the wild. The Kakapo is critically endangered so highly unlikely to see one of them. 

Our little puss struggles to eat 100g of her Dutchess and climb onto the sofa. She's a house cat, not because we ever intended her to be, but because she'd be horrifically slaughtered by a malicious white butterfly if she went outside. Honestly, she's the most pathetic/cutest cat ever. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

All this hating on cats, man. I think as humans we  do far more damage to the environment and wildlife. 

Cats are undoubtedly awful for some environments. But I rather think humans lost the right to complain about other animals damaging the environment some time back. I don't see many cats organising large scale deforestation or dumping megatons of plastic into the oceans!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

All this hating on cats, man. I think as humans we  do far more damage to the environment and wildlife. 

We do. you’re right. Though a part of that is of course irresponsible cat ownership. I don’t hate cats, btw. They’re beautiful creatures for the most part. But humans letting them out, without bells and during the nesting season, or letting them run completely wild are the instigators of the slaughter cats do. Far too many people don’t look after cats properly and have no respect for wildlife.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

We do. you’re right. Though a part of that is of course irresponsible cat ownership. I don’t hate cats, btw. They’re beautiful creatures for the most part. But humans letting them out, without bells and during the nesting season, or letting them run completely wild are the instigators of the slaughter cats do. Far too many people don’t look after cats properly and have no respect for wildlife.

Cats are meant to be let out all year round, unless you raise them as a house cat. Not sure I've heard of irresponsible cat owners, or letting cats run wild. They come and go when please, have a fuss when they want a fuss, and feed them when they want food. So much easier than dogs. I'll try and rescue anything my cats hunt down, but isn't it just their natural hunting instinct ? 

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think as humans we  do far more damage to the environment and wildlife. 

Quite, and by sustaining an unnaturally large population of predator kitties, we're doing it again.

We have no little birds out the back. Parrots, pigeons and various members of the crow family.

The pair of blue tits that tried to raise a brood vanished. A solitary wing was left on the floor outside the catflap.

Considering buying a Supersoaker to fill with piss.

• Like 1

Â