Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Isn't it interesting how if you open a door wide to a cat, they won't necessarily express an eagerness to cross the threshold, but it you open the door incrementally, they go crazy with the anticipation of getting through.

You know when they're meowing like crazy to either be let out or in and then when you open the door they can sit there for a few minutes before they actually walk through the door?

It always used to annoy and confuse me, but I heard or read an explanation as to why they do that and it made perfect sense.

I've forgotten what it was though...so this post is pointless.

29 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

You know when they're meowing like crazy to either be let out or in and then when you open the door they can sit there for a few minutes before they actually walk through the door?

It always used to annoy and confuse me, but I heard or read an explanation as to why they do that and it made perfect sense.

I've forgotten what it was though...so this post is pointless.

3,962 other posts also say Hi  :)

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

3,962 other posts also say Hi  :)

I thought that was a random number then, suggesting that most of the posts on VT are pointless. Then I realised.

Ouch, my feelings. ?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Our cat caught a mouse once.He sat there on the grass just outside the back door with his paw on the mous`es tail and he saw me looking at him.I called the wife to have a look and as soon as the cat saw that the both of us had seen him he lifted the paw that was on the mous`es tail and cleaned it ( like all cats do ) and the mouse ran away.

I think he was just proud that he had caught a mouse and wanted to show us ?!

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Our cat caught a mouse once.He sat there on the grass just outside the back door with his paw on the mous`es tail and he saw me looking at him.I called the wife to have a look and as soon as the cat saw that the both of us had seen him he lifted the paw that was on the mous`es tail and cleaned it ( like all cats do ) and the mouse ran away.

I think he was just proud that he had caught a mouse and wanted to show us ?!

He was actually saying "See this?  That's right.  I am always in control.  Ever stop feeding me and I will end you".

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BOF said:

He was actually saying "See this?  That's right.  I am always in control.  Ever stop feeding me and I will end you".

Our cats eat a lot better than a lot of PPL.

My cat chased a rabbit into the house the other night. You could see from the look on her face that she was pretty proud of the catch, but also realised she'd bitten off way more than she could chew and would actually now like a little help from her humans please.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

My cat chased a rabbit into the house the other night. You could see from the look on her face that she was pretty proud of the catch, but also realised she'd bitten off way more than she could chew and would actually now like a little help from her humans please.

We once stayed in a holiday cottage on a Devon farm that had a youngish siamese cat and an aged border collie. The dog had got too old and arthritic to chase rabbits, so they had a system, whereby the cat caught the rabbits and brought them back for the dog, who would bite them in two, and they'd have half each for their lunch. Brutal, but well organised. 

• Like 2

We have a local cat who has been around for a few years but now suddenly started sauntering into the house. 

Weird how it can ignore us for years then suddenly start doing that. 

More pleasant than a few years ago when we had a dog groomer working next door but one. Wife was cleaning upstairs alone and heard noises downstairs. Came downstairs to be confronted by 2 gigantic Alasatians in the kitchen, could have been unpleasant if they were moody dogs. 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

We have a local cat who has been around for a few years but now suddenly started sauntering into the house. 

There's a massive ginger cat who keeps doing this. We can't leave any windows open because he comes in and eats their food. Mine just sit there and watch him. 

He legs it as soon as he sees me coming, but I came down yesterday to see the gf trying to shoo him away from the bowl and he just ignored her and tucked in 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

There's a massive ginger cat who keeps doing this. We can't leave any windows open because he comes in and eats their food. Mine just sit there and watch him. 

He legs it as soon as he sees me coming, but I came down yesterday to see the gf trying to shoo him away from the bowl and he just ignored her and tucked in 

I've recently moved house, and my two cats have gone from having a tiny garden all to themselves, to having a huge garden that they have to protect from the local competition. On one side there are two cats, and on the other there is a fat, grumpy, ginger squashed-face-cat (I believe that's the correct term) who tries to come in and eat our cats' food. Like in your post, when my wife tries to shoo him away, he puts up a bit of a front and hisses at her. Maybe we live two doors apart?

I tell you what though, the tough little sod doesn't like it when I run down the garden in my pants waving my arms around and screaming. Come to think of it, I don't think his eldery neighbours do either.

As pet insurance was mentioned, I second how important it is. My two cats both had to have 2+ teeth out each a few months ago, and Tesco Bank paid out the full £1.5k to the vets, minus my tiny £60 excess.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Reassuring because we've got pet plan insurance and the wife is concerned it's a waste of money for an old cat. We couldn't let her suffer or put her down because we can't afford treatment. 

They're absolutely excellent. My favourite thing about them? I've literally never spoken to them. I send them a form, 2-3 weeks later, money turns up. Literally thousands of pounds, with no hassle. No calls to try to find holes in your claim, no attempts to wriggle out of it, no pushing your premium up. It's brilliant.

On the other hand, it took about 7 phone calls for my contents insurance to pay out 3 figures, and everyone knows what a hassle car insurance companies are.

Things are somewhat positive for my lad. His lungs are clear after a few days on diuretics and antibiotics, but his heart and blood vessels look slightly enlarged. He has his 4th ECG (aged 3) booked in, but the response to the meds is pretty promising. Not overwhelmingly good news, but on Monday I was getting a bit teary-eyed worrying he wasn't making it through the night.

He was feeling well enough this morning to nibble me on the nose because breakfast was late (yes, that's a giant cat scratching pole).

nBnZXt9SjlY0xMqqVJiimygRGhkBXvc5E9FXIJD6K6xH5DQ05L-wFlHBZ675esWc0pk_48_0tMZ3ihcU6cimUs_iIruf7MnVIBN5QAqZosexqr7gflH6EGwXDmrxsYrqen4zg8Z8fQAVuUJrO0JIvxz02MbQXoFUa_0kVqRCFfuwxY5B3a5OdumzW6r_0EilyNPnHEurk7w05h_bdzC54q0bKborgEnBgt3Z-ijXazbsHydp_WjB8ispj0TGX_iEtwP-2PWFB8x8rm9N2kuQRXD8oocSHbNKt16aXxW6-Ygg6QsgUti6MTMO8vk_9ZPRmiGM28sot1FZ7bZbslKg_7eVmazxWYUcXiaHfJE9QuVuvk_E4cHeV2jI76iP-IDqEommXvigThITmlLKvhez06qzJXCtQBzStDNgJCkZNas4oBT9XtxqLTo1VHW_Y2E2OmUXMbweNmFneKlvqRa4B4sDQuOxIKKT4fug_YOyy8KCFbspcJ_-CzAaL47LlD5pYyCfH0Gf8abEF2sljoWAt2IU7Ktp71AbALIqAP7_LWFXb8Q3bWcNbkM5zSO86qc8X3F4_pqTrjCBRch4LuKdEUGjwf_Qe-bENNfKIhc=w731-h974-no

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â