Cats...

wiggyrichard

Love them or loathe them?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Love them or loathe them?

• Love, they're so cute & cuddly!
    • They're shite & should be considered vermin!

2 hours ago, BOF said:

What happens there?  I doubt the badger is a shrinking violet.  Do they just have a sniff and mosey along, do they square off or are they chicken shits and do a legger?

Badgers are savage when they want to be.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Been stressing because one of the cats has gone walkabout for 16 hours, longest he's ever gone missing.

Just as the missus texts (she's on a school trip, and no she ain't 14 you perves) and I tell her he ain't back, the little shit appears as if nothing's happened.

Who'd have pets eh?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Been stressing because one of the cats has gone walkabout for 16 hours, longest he's ever gone missing.

Just as the missus texts (she's on a school trip, and no she ain't 14 you perves) and I tell her he ain't back, the little shit appears as if nothing's happened.

Who'd have pets eh?

Mine does that every now and again, we won't see him for a few days. I want to get him one of them GPS collars.

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Mine does that every now and again, we won't see him for a few days. I want to get him one of them GPS collars.

Ours won't wear collars. Last time I got collars, they lasted less than 24 hours before I found 'em on the floor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbour's herd of cats are now ganging up on the poor Norwegian forest cat that my older neighbour has had for 10 years. Last night I had to rescue him out of a circle of 6 other cats who seemed intent on taking turns at swiping the poor fella's ears and back. The owner of the forest cat is beyond herself with what to do, but it's pretty clear that my new neighbour has no control over his 8 (at last count) cats. I think some of the cats are half bred savannah or bengal cats which are insanely aggressive. It's like they gang up on anything within sight, cats, dogs, badgers..

Any ideas what we should do? Would the RSPCA do anything when someone has this many cats and they are causing trouble to pets/wildlife and are a hygienic nightmare for everyone in the neighbourhood? I'm pretty sure their owner has a hoarding problem and the cats look pretty badly taken care of.

Edited by magnkarl

That's a horrible situation, but I'd definitely get her to at least ring the RSPCA and explain it.  They'll know what can be done, if anything.

So I called the RSPCA and they came around after 2 hours. It turns out that three of the cats are registered to other people who live in other areas of the country. The bengal and savannahs (from reading their chips) have been involved in problems in London where they killed other cats and maimed smaller dogs. My neighbour wouldn't let them in so they stood outside until they caught the three cats in question, and likely these 3 have been taken away to a less than nice fate. 

They couldn't really divulge much but it was pretty clear that the guy has a severe hoarding problem of both stuff and cats. The best they could do is to offer him help with getting the remaining 5 cats sterilised. At one point I thought the wife of the man would come out and start fighting with the officers. They also told a neighbour of mine that has a pitbull that if the cats come into his garden and the dog should manage to hurt one there is nothing they can do about it. Cats are roaming pets and it's the owners responsibility to ensure that they're safe when they're outside. If his cats attack any pets on personal property he is liable, this includes dogs on and off leads, pet birds, fish etc. I think this got him quite worried as his cats have attacked a whole raft of neighbourhood pets.

In any case I hope they've offered the guy some counselling, it's clear that the cats are just the tip of the iceberg. In the mean time the forest cat of my elderly neighbour has had to have stitches on his head and where the tail meets the body after the fight two nights ago. I don't quite get why people would get a cat like a bengal when they are clearly out of control, but I presume this guy has either taken them in when the owners couldn't handle them or bought them on ebay or something. Hopefully the streets are safer for our other local cats and dogs tonight, I look forward to having a night without cat brawling outside my window..

• Like 3

I was outside earlier with the little guys. You can tell how much they really like each other when I let them out. The basically follow each other and/or false charge/ambush each other. Great little cats, very loyal too, they don't stray far at all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Othello's turning into a pretty good predator.  Today he brought home a lizard and a mouse within a few hours.  Considering he spends a good portion of the day sleeping, that's not a bad haul.  Gilbert is envious and wants in on the fun, but Othello growls if he gets too close.  The only thing we've seen him catch is a baby bird, which we managed to rescue before he injured it too badly, and a bunch of bugs.GDa50Bw.jpg

• Like 4

Â