• A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Heskey (for Albrighton 59)
    • Agbonlahor (for Petrov 74)
    • Reo-Coker (for Downing 80)

Without Brad they may easily have doubled their score tonight. This was always going to be tough for us and losing a goal at the start might have led to a goal fest a few weeks ago as it did at Citeh and we also showed good spirit to peg them back to 2-1 having gone 2-0 down at the end of the first half. The signs are positive for the rest of the season as they are for Makoun with us and if we perform like this (other than at the back) we could well do the same to Fulham at the weekend (in what remains a 6 pointer) as was done to us tonight.

It was Old Trafford. No shame in that score. In fact, I still see it as an example of our progress in the last few weeks. We gave them a bit of a scare in the second half, and Makoun looked absolutely class! Bent also did what he did best. Not a great deal of chances (as you expect when you play against Vidic and Ferdinand) but he got one good one and he took it emphatically.

Nani was sensational though. Not much we could have done about the second or third goals. I fear Petrov will struggle to keep his place though. Wasn't at his best tonight, and with good competition for places in that area now I don't think he's our best option any more.

Houllier didnt sound impressed with Petrov's reaction.

What happened?

I've just got back from band practice so I've only seen the score..

Shaking his head when he was took off, but something must have happened on the sideline as the Utd fans cheered, but we did see what or why.

Houllier said after that players need to leave their ego's in the dressing room.

Man Utd defence were superb and we tried to find ways through but couldn't. We were outplayed by the better team & can't complain.

Makoun was awesome but on a couple of occasions I was hoping for him to launch one of those long-range missiles as per the youtube video just to test VDS out.

Ashley Young was again a disappointment - promises much but delivers so little. Was bullied out of possession, tried to take on too many players when a pass was on. Three times in succession he tried & failed to go past Giggs.

Petrove was certainly a disappointment too and I suspect as some have said he can see the writing on the wall. Given GH's track record with dissenting players too it will be interesting to see how he deals with Petrov's petulance.

Makoun was very good last night. He looks really comfortable with the ball and let the ball go with ease. Easy solutions. He had a couple of really important defensive involvements also. Big Brad was also class with weltklass saves.

Petrov - not impressed. Slows up everything, and cant play one, ONE, ball forwards..

Makoun was fantastic tonight, at one point he hit an immaculate one touch pass out to albrighton on the wing that I didn't even spot on the big screen I was watching, my friend turned to me and said " he's too good for us ! "
Two games in and I'm already starting to worry that we'll end up with a Tevez/Mascherano at West Ham scenario: that he'll want out as soon as one of the CL teams start sniffing - which they will.

I missed the game (semi-deliberately, I was very pessimistic) and went to the running club. Was running with my Everton mate and I said to him: "Strikers on a dry spell always break it against us, so expect Rooney to score", and "We always go to sleep at the start and finish of each half". So you can imagine my reaction when we got back from our run at half-time and I saw the score: Utd 2 (Rooney 1, 45+1) Villa 0.

Mind you, he ended up even more pissed off than me after his lot lost 2-1 at the Arse after having been one up for most of the match.

Makoun was fantastic tonight, at one point he hit an immaculate one touch pass out to albrighton on the wing that I didn't even spot on the big screen I was watching, my friend turned to me and said " he's too good for us ! "
Two games in and I'm already starting to worry that we'll end up with a Tevez/Mascherano at West Ham scenario: that he'll want out as soon as one of the CL teams start sniffing - which they will.

I missed the game (semi-deliberately, I was very pessimistic) and went to the running club. Was running with my Everton mate and I said to him: "Strikers on a dry spell always break it against us, so expect Rooney to score", and "We always go to sleep at the start and finish of each half". So you can imagine my reaction when we got back from our run at half-time and I saw the score: Utd 2 (Rooney 1, 45+1) Villa 0.

Mind you, he ended up even more pissed off than me after his lot lost 2-1 at the Arse after having been one up for most of the match.

To be fair that's a risk for every player that pulls on a Villa shirt at the moment. Given GH's ability to deal in the transfer market I'm sure if that happened he could find another gem. Cold comfort but we don't let our big players go cheaply either.

To be fair that's a risk for every player that pulls on a Villa shirt at the moment. Given GH's ability to deal in the transfer market I'm sure if that happened he could find another gem. Cold comfort but we don't let our big players go cheaply either.

So good I said it twice :oops:

i thought we played well in large parts and Makoun was very good - if you could have one complaint against him it would be that he was on the edge of the box at least three times and i wouldve hoped at least once he may have wanted to have a shot. Ashley young has to be on the wing, he's not a second striker but i think ged is trying to play marc, downing and him all together.

didnt think petrov was that bad but we do need one of the two holding midfileders to occassionally burst forward rather than sideways passes all day long. great move for the goal, dunne and collins were very good bar the first minute and brad stopped at least 3 goals.

MOTM Makoun

p.s. went with utd fan and sat to the right of the villa fans. not criticising as its me in there doing the same most weeks but i think we need some news songs. only thing we could hear everynow and then was holtenders in the sky.

UTV

We can take positives from this game for sure. We dominated possession for long spells at OT. Makoun was quality. Friedel was excellent. We have a good run of fixtures coming up and I expect to see us climb into the top half of the table in the coming weeks so I'm not too disheartened.

Predictable result, just way to strong for us.

Makoun was awesome.. Looks like the beginning of the end for Petrov now.

Fans were spot on tonight yet again, there fans were awfull and only loud at the 3 obvious times, makes me cringe how such a big club can have such poor fans. Favourite villa chant of the night - "You'll be City fans soon.. City fans sooooooooooooon.."

Dunne and Collins were crap. Cuellar should be starting at CB with Clark, or possibly Collins IMO.

Makoun was excellent. Those one touch passes were excellent, he knows what he's gonna do with the ball before he even receives the pass.

Albrighton is starting to show the fact that he's still very young and has a ways to go.

In fairness to ManU fans, the Vidic song was awesome. "Nemanja oooo, he comes from serbia...he'll f'n murder ya" I was laughing my ass off!!!

Not a bad match from the Villa and a fair result I'd say.

Giggs is freaking amazing.

Agree with all of that YIM - saved me the effort of typing it out.

Albrighton isnt suited to these kind of games, we look much, much more solid without him in the side. Should be brought on as an impact sub and eased into the side.

A view from a neutral - a Forest-supporting mate of mine:

I was at Old Trafford last night and the Villa looked pretty decent despite losing. He’s got them playing this 4-2-3-1 style and I can see them winning more than they lose in the second half of the season.

Downing was very effective and Young looked to have his spark back, Makoun steady-eddie in the middle. Kyle Walker’s handy coming forward but struggled with Giggsy, not the first though.

I like the dark blue/black away kit, very nice.

kyle walker woulkd be a good signing too as he looked good on the ball but we did over complicate things in the final third - the goal was quick and flowing and looked good.

dont agree with YIM, i thought our centre halves were solid bar the 45 second over the top ball and the second goal was more because noone seemed to anticipate (bar nani) that if berbatov won the flick on he was unmarked.

3rd goal conceded an unlucky corner trying to nick the ball away. that said freidel made 6 great saves so couldve been a thumpoing but they are very good and we looked far better than 3 months ago. young needs to stay on the wing!!

Friedel 9 - MOTM - Made some great saves and wasn't at fault for any of the goals.

Dunne 5 - Caught out terribly for the first goal. Made one great tackle but looked shaky

Clark 6 - Did okay but the lad's not a left back.

Collins 4 - Didn't command well and someone needs to tall him he's not zidane when it comes to passing. He's slowly becoming the new mellberg with all the aimless hoofing he does.

Walker 5 - gets caught out defensively too often and can at times be too eager to get forward.

Downing 7 - Did well but needs to learn to use his right foot because he cuts inside far far too often. Good pass for the goal.

A Young 6 - Had a good effort off the crossbar but overall didn't influence the game enough or create any chances. If he's going to be playing up front he needs to do more. He should be on the wing IMO.

Albrighton 6 - Not at his best

Makoun 9 - Looked the business 8)

Petrov 6 - Huffed and puffed but was outclassed by J2M

Bent 7 - Took his goal well and had a decent work rate. Not his fault we couldn't create any chances for him.

Â