• A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Heskey (for Albrighton 59)
    • Agbonlahor (for Petrov 74)
    • Reo-Coker (for Downing 80)

Beaten by a better team, and now we have a decent run of games until Arsenal.

Makoun was good, Petrov wasn't. Albrighton was taught a lesson by Evra, our defence was poor on the whole. Clark isn't a full back, Walker is good against poorer teams, but against the better teams we looked better with Cuellar. Young is a winger. Downing was poor but did well for the goal. Bent was isolated but got his goal.

Friedel & Makoun MOM - Makoun a bargain calm and can pass the ball.

Dunne and Collins continue their clown act. None of our defence had a great game though tbf. Nani and Giggs gave them nightmares.

Ash wasn't great went missing a lot. Bent done his job downing good cross but not much other than that.

Strange game was like a Seria A match rather than a Premier League encounter.

I have no doubts manure will win the league and we'll finish top half.

Makoun looked the nuts from what I seen in the first half only, the Defence was shocking though Dunne and Collins going back to there old ways. Anyway I'm not to upset about this, I cant get over how good Makoun is!!. And Bent scored so I'm happy with that.

Despite the games over the years, despite all the times they've beaten us I still don't dislike United, but I HATE their fans. Absolutely silent for 90 mins then, at the final whistle, "Glory glory Man Uniiited". **** off you glory hunting twunts. Can't remember the last time I saw a less passionate home support, maybe they're just bored of winning??

Anyway, individual mistakes cost us big time tonight. Wasn't expecting a win but Dunne and Collins didn't exactly make it difficult for United with a couple of glorious **** ups.

Positives - Bent scored again (is that 2 in 3?), Makoun looked decent despite a shaky start, Friedel showed why he's still playing at this level with some great saves

Good passing team but defensive frailties shown up yet again. If we can limp to the end of the season with that team and then go out and get two class centre halves we will be a really good side next season. Houllier had Hypia and Henchoz at the heart of his defence at Liverplop and they had the best defensive record in the league. At the moment we are naive and weak in that area and as long as we keep making stupid schoolboy errors at the back we will suffer for it.

We lost to the team most likely to be the next champions, at Old Traford, hardly the biggest surprise and not down beat about it.

We played some decent football, tested them at times, but ultimately their defence was almost rock solid tonight. Mankoun was fantastic, Friedel excellent (couldn't really have done much about the goals, not really his fault). In all honestly we didn;t play that badly other than looking soft at the back.

Some performances were prety dire (Petrov, Dunne & Collins), but I still think if we played like that against Fulham, we will dominate.

interestingly for me Makoun pretty much did exactly what he did at Wigan and everyone was underwhelmed by him .. maybe people just view each game differently ( I thought he played well at Wigan for the record)

Petrov not happy at being subbed so i think we may well see Bradley and Makoun on Sat .. can't wait

at 1-0 down after 52 secs i thought it could be a 5-0 job , at 2-1 we had a brief moment of hope but when Vidic scores a thunderbolt then you know your luck is out

Collins not at the races tonight , Dunne got better after being asleep for the first goal , for next season - some pace in one of the CB's would be nice , preferably both of them

Albrighton easily the worse player on the pitch tonight (sadly) , not sure if he is tired or what it is but his confience appears to have gone

we need line up with Ash on the left , Downing on the right and 2 up top on Sat

Big Brad MOTM for me , he's been our best player this season all in all i think

A loss at Old Trafford, nothing new to see here.

Friedel - 8

Walker - 6

Clark - 6

Dunne - 4

Collins - 5

Albrighton - 5

Downing - 6

Petrov - 4

Makoun - 8

Bent - 7

Young - 5

Friedel saved us from a bigger defeat, I think he's still got another season in him. Makoun was a class above our other players, an extremely astute purchase from Houllier.

Poor showing from Petrov and he should have been subbed at half time. Bent did his part and scored a goal.

Dunne had a shocker and Collins wasn't much better. Collins' main faults were on show here - poor positioning and hoofball galore. Feel sorry for Carlos, because I think everyone bar Houllier thinks he should play.

But once again no shame in losing at Old Trafford and we did play some nice stuff at times. To get anything out of games like this is a bonus so I'm not worried at all. Roll on Saturday!

Makoun easily our best player other then Friedel. So nice to someone in a Villa shirt passing with instinct and without having to take 2 or 3 touches to think about it. He looked total class. Would have preferred to see Bannan alongside him, just to add a bit of variety. Petrov looked pretty average in comparison.

I thought we played okay. We passed the ball a lot, some nice little link ups, but just lacked any real oomph. For some reason we didn't get the ball out wide much, so i think the 1st half we had no real threat on goal. 2nd half was better and the goal was a beauty. Bent doing his job without fuss. Downing and Young did okay. Just lacked the conviction at times to really go for it. I think maybe we're trying too hard at creating perfect goals - too many passes, sometimes we had ample time to cross or shot but did neither. We're not Arsenal (yet!!)

Defence was at times awful. In that Dunne and Collins have forgotten that the basic rule of defending is to stay goalside of whoever you are marking. Made to look even worse when it's Rooney you're letting go. Couldn't do anything about Vidic goal though.

GK - congratulations on becoming Villa's oldest ever player with a fantastic performance.

DEFENCE - just not good enough against 4 quality players.

MIDFIELD - only Makoun had anything about him. He is the only player who would get in (or anywhere near) that Man Utd side.

BENT - not much service but not bad.

MOTM shared by Makoun and Friedel.

Young definitely isn't right for the central role, he looks lost, simply no idea what to do with himself.

Still, we have the makings of a good, if not brilliant, team. The potential is there and we just need more time.

Think we made a mistake in playing Walker, the defence looks so much better with Cuellar in it.
Agree.

Although agreed generally, none of the goals today were really his fault or much to do with him. Tried to block 3rd one but that was it. Other two goals came the other side of the pitch.

Didnt see the game just feel as a defensive unit we look better, I wrote this game off as we'd got more than I had expected against City and Wigan so it took a bit of pressure off. We just have to take the game to Fulham and that's what I'd like to see from our side now is to take the game to teams as the remaining games are winnable barring Arsenal I'd say.

Think we made a mistake in playing Walker, the defence looks so much better with Cuellar in it.
Agree.

Although agreed generally, none of the goals today were really his fault or much to do with him. Tried to block 3rd one but that was it. Other two goals came the other side of the pitch.

I actually thought he could have stuck his foot out to block it but he held his foot in rather than getting stuck in.

My stream was blurry though so he may well have done that :)

Makoun MOTM, classy on the ball and has great awareness. Thought Downing was very inconsistent with his play but he did have some very good moments including setting up Bent for the goal. Friedel had a great game, Petrov, Collins and Dunne were poor. Everyone else was average in my eyes.

Not a bad result though, we played well for the majority but unfortunately moments of brilliance from United and mistakes from our defence cost us.

Makoun was very tidy. Really helps the team, was always available and made lots of good passes. Very impressed. Bent found himself that bit of space for the goal and took it well. Some nice football by Aston Villa at times and it gives me hope for the future.

Not too unhappy overall. Didn't expect anything out of it points-wise so good that there were some positives.

Friedel - 8.5 - excellent display. Unlucky to be on the losing side. Shows he is still the best shot stopper around.

Walker - 6 - exposed a bit tonight and did little coming forward

Dunne & Collins - 6 - both looked a bot overawed

Clark - 5.5 - like Walker, exposed a bit out of position by the excellent Nani

Downing - 6.5 - didn't show enough but did set up the goal. DON'T LIKE HIM ON THE RIGHT

Petrov - 4 - Crap. Slow. Added nothing. Rubbish challenge on Vidic for the third goal with his back turned and gave the ball away regularly

Makoun - 9 - excellent in possession. Not the ball winner I was expecting but great on the ball. Needs to be in a three and not sure how he can play with Delph?

Albie - 6 - poor tonight. NOT A LEFT WINGER

Ash - 6 - ok, but looked much more effective when switched out wide

Bent - 7 - got his goal but did little else, but didn't really have the service

Ged - 6 - Petrov was a wrong choice for me as it needs an enforcer alongside Makoun, I wish he'd play the wingers on the right side and Carlos should have started - he is our best defender IMO! Subs too late.

Our passing and keeping pocession for long periods was very good. Makoun thinks he's playing for Arsenal, had a great game, a couple of times though when I think he could have shot instead of passed. Wasn't expecting to get anything really from this game, but we should be able to turn some teams over playing like this.

Â