The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

The regular clashes happening in the three way battle in Syria between Assad, ISIS and Al-Nusra/Moderates/FSA is a goldmine for illegal small arms dealers. You can bet the sales of Kalashnikovs and RPGs are massive, but that doesn't benefit BAE Systems of Lockheed Martin one bit. The only larger weapons manufacturers that will be getting something are the Russians selling to Assad.

As for everything else, it's not a "perpetual war" that the West wants a-la-1984. It's terrible for global finance in a region dominated by oil.

The longer time goes on, the more the history books might start reflecting on how INCREDIBLY F**KING STUPID Bush and Blair were.

• Like 1

Soooooo.........one of the most important sites in human civilisation has been taken over by our Pedigree Chums in ISIS, and the very likely outcome is that they'll blow the place up.

Cheers guys, great contribution.

Was interested to see that as headline news this morning. I'm not saying that sites of historical importance aren't, well, important but it would seem to me that the slaughter, rape and murder of thousands just doesn't seem quite as high a priority.

• Like 1

The only part I agree with is the situation has resulted in part from the intervention of Bush and Blair, which unleashed the genie from the bottle.

2lb2kag.jpg

Don't forget me.

• Like 3

Baghdad won't fall to IS for two main reasons. During the Iraqi civil war from about 06-08 if became almost entirely Shia and IS don't have the combat power to win an urban battle on that scale. Secondly IF that looked like a potential outcome the Iranians would send an army (rather than the current militia/Al Quds force contributions) over the border to defend it.

The second scenario would cement the IS narrative that what's going on now is an existential "righteous" Sunni vs "heathen" Shia war, putting the Saudis head bangers in a pretty pickle and pretty much ensuring the permanent division of central (Sunni) and southern (Shia) Iraq.

It would certainly suit IS' purposes to engineer that scenario so permanently threatening Baghdad and unleashing mass terror attacks within it is most probably their current goal.

I'd suggest that right now IS pose a greater threat to Damascus than Baghdad.

I can't imagine Israel are too chuffed about the prospect of IS controlling a region on their borders.

All joking aside IS are not a credible threat to the Red Sea Pedestrians, the combined might of 6 Arab armies got dusted the last time they tried.

From the Israeli perspective the various jihadi groups have turned half the Middle East into a self mowing lawn. Their interest is for this to just keep rolling on.

The regular clashes happening in the three way battle in Syria between Assad, ISIS and Al-Nusra/Moderates/FSA is a goldmine for illegal small arms dealers. You can bet the sales of Kalashnikovs and RPGs are massive, but that doesn't benefit BAE Systems of Lockheed Martin one bit. The only larger weapons manufacturers that will be getting something are the Russians selling to Assad.

As for everything else, it's not a "perpetual war" that the West wants a-la-1984. It's terrible for global finance in a region dominated by oil.

The longer time goes on, the more the history books might start reflecting on how INCREDIBLY F**KING STUPID Bush and Blair were.

But what we are seeing is nonetheless a boon to weapons manufacturers. The Iraqi and Jordanian armies are directly armed by the US. And the longer this drags on, the more likely it will develop in to an actual ground war scenario all over again, which equals $$$ for everyone with a vested interest in continued mayhem over there. It might not be a net benefit to "Global Finance", but for specific sectors it absolutely is. That was my original point.

Edited by maqroll

I don't think IS can be stopped without troops on the ground. Whose troops go in is another matter.

Not ours, Osborne's minions have already been on to the MOD demanding further cuts. This parliament the Tories are going to finish the job they started on the armed forces in 2010. Good job the world is so peaceful right now or we might actually need them...

Edit: Just read elsewhere that the Treasury might be after 18% of the MOD budget. It's difficult to overstate what a disaster that will be to UK defence capability. In light of this thread topic and other emerging threats it's beyond bonkers.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

Soooooo.........one of the most important sites in human civilisation has been taken over by our Pedigree Chums in ISIS, and the very likely outcome is that they'll blow the place up.

Cheers guys, great contribution.

They should be bombed into oblivion. 

• Like 1

Arms manufacturers benefit more abruptly from wars, because wars for all their horror tend to be slow and predictable ACD large scale. Fighting ISIS, in the little that the West is, isn't going to be swelling the coffers of many, and isn't going to massively benefit anyone from a pure greed or power perspective.

War generates debt. It's expensive to take part in and it's expensive to rebuild your country afterwards. Debt benefits those that own that debt. Invade a country, **** it up entirely, put it hundreds of billions of dollars into debt, own the debt, own the country.

War massively benefits banks from a pure greed and power perspective and when banks and governments get as closely linked as they are, especially in the US, war becomes a great business to be in.

But fighting ISIS doesn't do that. The token effort made in Syria and Iraq isn't putting enormous cash in anyone's pockets.

I don't deny that war can make good money for the right people, although I'd stop short of the more conspiracy leaning angle you have there. Its just that what we're doing to ISIS is so small scale for military action the benefit to the right parties is so small it's likely outweighed by the downsides of ISIS existing at all.

• Like 2

IS has claimed a suicide bombing yesterday at a Shia mosque in Qatif, Eastern Saudi Arabia. 20 odd dead.

This following a sermon at Friday prayers in Riyadh by one of Saudi's most senior Imams, calling for the death of ALL Shia.

Some might think there is virtually no difference between the Saudi establishment and IS/AQ/Islamist terrorists everywhere. They'd be right, too.

IS has claimed a suicide bombing yesterday at a Shia mosque in Qatif, Eastern Saudi Arabia. 20 odd dead.

This following a sermon at Friday prayers in Riyadh by one of Saudi's most senior Imams, calling for the death of ALL Shia.

Some might think there is virtually no difference between the Saudi establishment and IS/AQ/Islamist terrorists everywhere. They'd be right, too.

What now for SA AWOL? How will they deal with this in your opinion?

There is no difference. IS was created by Saudi, U.S and Israel, a true zionist creation.

RT had an article a month or so ago with an interview of a Iraqi soldier claiming he and others saw a weapons drop on IS strongholds by unmarked military aircraft, now who would be arming IS?

What now for SA AWOL? How will they deal with this in your opinion?

From what I'd read on this (admittedly not much) there's a lot more Sunni/Shia than IS/Saudi in these attacks. With Saudi funded IS Sunni's bombing a Saudi Shia mosque. It will be interesting to see how the power struggle between the majority Sunni Saudi population and its Shia minority plays out - and whilst the Saudi's might make a token gesture of resistance against IS, I certainly wouldn't want to be a Shia muslim in Saudi Arabia right now.

same with boko haram, from what ive read its a US funded terrorist group. it seems the US wants a load of jihadi nutters all over the world creating havoc. funny how the US kick all these mainly harmless dictators out and then we get states run by jihadists. libya is now a key area for isis and its sort, the list goes on.

Â