The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

I don't know whether this is just in London or whether its country wide, but I cant help but notice the plethora of "VISIT EGYPT!" billboards that are on display at the moment.

I imagine most people who live there have got more important things to worry about at the moment, but the Egyptian tourist board must be a little bit pissed off that they blew their advertising budget at such an inopportune time!

Should America be getting involved in talks as to how the power should be swapped over?

They give quite a lot of money to the Egyptian army so they will be looking for something here surely?

The Americans (and us, for that matter) will be shitting themselves that this lets in a fundie Muslim regime.

Keep your eyes on Israel's twitchy trigger finger, too.

Should America be getting involved in talks as to how the power should be swapped over?

They give quite a lot of money to the Egyptian army so they will be looking for something here surely?

The Americans (and us, for that matter) will be shitting themselves that this lets in a fundie Muslim regime.

Top point there, still think America have a lot more than that to gain from it.

To the guy above, what was said on QT? Will watch it on Iplayer if it is worth it.

I'd imagine the Coptic Christian 10% of Egypt's population is a little worried about this too. lt's not exactly gone well for Christians in Iraq and Pakistan when their secular Dictators were removed so the precendents aren't good.

Not just them either, what happens in Egypt has global consequences today as much as it did in '56.

Wonder who's side the Amercians will take this time? /irony

tbf, though it's not like Mubarak (or the Saudis) have done a great job as an alternative to muslim fundies.

(how many of the 9/11 hijackers were Egyptian or Saudi?)

beeb"]Egypt unrest: Hosni Mubarak must stay - US envoy

US special envoy Frank Wisner has said that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak should remain in power to oversee a transition to democracy.

The remarks appear to contradict previous US calls for Mr Mubarak to begin an immediate transition.

The State Department has not yet commented.

Mr Wisner also welcomed the resignation of Egypt's ruling party politburo. Senior figures including Mr Mubarak's son Gamal have left their posts.

Mr Wisner, a former ambassador in Egypt, was sent by US President Barack Obama to Cairo on Monday, apparently to urge Mr Mubarak to announce his departure.

"I believe that President Mubarak's continued leadership is crucial - it's his chance to get all of his money out of the country and into Lichtenstein*," he told the Munich Security Conference by video link.

He urged people to control their rhetoric - the more Egyptians hear demands from outside the country for Mr Mubarak to stand down, he argued, the more it could have negative consequences.

*Poster's edit in italics

beeb"]Egypt unrest: Hosni Mubarak must stay - US envoy

US special envoy Frank Wisner has said that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak should remain in power to oversee a transition to democracy.

The remarks appear to contradict previous US calls for Mr Mubarak to begin an immediate transition.

The State Department has not yet commented.

Mr Wisner also welcomed the resignation of Egypt's ruling party politburo. Senior figures including Mr Mubarak's son Gamal have left their posts.

Mr Wisner, a former ambassador in Egypt, was sent by US President Barack Obama to Cairo on Monday, apparently to urge Mr Mubarak to announce his departure.

"I believe that President Mubarak's continued leadership is crucial - it's his chance to get all of his money out of the country and into Lichtenstein before stealing some more for good measure*," he told the Munich Security Conference by video link.

He urged people to control their rhetoric - the more Egyptians hear demands from outside the country for Mr Mubarak to stand down, he argued, the more it could have negative consequences.

Fixed your edit

US disowns envoy comment on Hosni Mubarak

The US state department has distanced itself from comments by a US special envoy, to the effect that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak should stay in office during a power transition.

Spokesman Philip Crowley said Frank Wisner's views were not meant to be voiced in public.

The Islamic Republic of Egypt.

It's a scary thought but I remain cautiously optimistic that it won't happen.

Unlike Lebanon or Iran whose only form of civil society consist of deference to Shia clerics, Egypt does seem to have a good political consciousness amongst their people.

Still I think a democratic govt formed with the aid of the US is not a proper solution either. Egypt will become another Israel in the region, seen as a dog of the Americans and the west.

So for once the US should really stay the **** away.

"The United States is trying to contain the revolution and improve its own ugly image in the Middle East and Islamic world ... after years of backing the worst dictatorships our region has ever seen. Be sure that regimes allied with the United States and Israel cannot stand long against the will of the people."

Unlike Lebanon or Iran whose only form of civil society consist of deference to Shia clerics
Iran, yes, but absolutely untrue of Lebanon, whose constitution is explicitly non-sectarian.

Unlike Lebanon or Iran whose only form of civil society consist of deference to Shia clerics
Iran, yes, but absolutely untrue of Lebanon, whose constitution is explicitly non-sectarian.
Since Hezbollah murdered PM Rafik Hariri I'm surprised the place hasn't fallen back into anarchy. That's certainly what Syria/Iran want.

Since Hezbollah murdered PM Rafik Hariri I'm surprised the place hasn't fallen back into anarchy. That's certainly what Syria/Iran want.
Oh sure, I'm not saying it's stable, particularly at the moment. But comparisons with Iran are way off the mark, not least because of the considerable Maronite Christian population in Lebanon, and its history - it's always been the most "western" of the middle eastern countries (still has a big French cultural influence) and is commercially and technically a milliion miles from Iran.

It would be tragic in so many ways if they lost all that, but they're a very resilent people, the Lebanese.

For once? I would hope that the majority of the time it's preferable to not have one state meddling in another state's affairs as it usually ends **** up.

For once? I would hope that the majority of the time it's preferable to not have one state meddling in another state's affairs as it usually ends **** up.

Of course it's preferable for non-intervention. But culturally, US foreign policy is very big in Washington.

Perhaps if the history textbooks in US public schools stopped glorifying their wartime presidents, there might be a change in the zeitgeist.

To be fair it's already happening with the Tea Party Movement, and Ron Paul's campaign for liberty.

Â