The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

26 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What are you seeking to achieve with this post?

It was a joke. You've now emphasised that you were actually serious by highlighting the word appears.

So you think that it is possible to tell someone's health from their appearance? In that case, the same reply but no sarcasm implied this time.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

So you think that it is possible to tell someone's health from their appearance?

Absolutely. You don't even need a photo, neither. A hand-drawn sketch will do.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

While the young people who led the revolution are mostly dead or in jail...

The GCC sponsored counter revolutionary project is proceeding as planned:

1) Ferment civil conflict through extremist proxies

2) Drive out pluralism

3) Crush democratic movements 

4) Reimpose autocratic rule

5) Rely heavily on full western support for steps 1-4

Pretty much every Arab Spring country is at one of those stages, with the exception of Syria where pushing out the incumbent was the sole mission - population be damned. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limpid said:

If you are able assess someone's health by looking at a picture of them, then you're going to revolutionise science.

I can tell if someone's fit or not.....oh.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Six Arab countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

They say Qatar backs militant groups including so-called Islamic State (IS) and al-Qaeda, which Qatar has denied.

The Saudi state news agency SPA said Riyadh had closed its borders, severing land, sea and air contact with the tiny peninsula of Qatar.

Qatar called the decision "unjustified" and with "no basis in fact".

The unprecedented move is being seen as a significant split between powerful Gulf countries, who are also close US allies.

It comes in the context of increased tensions between Gulf countries and their near-neighbour Iran. The Saudi statement accused Qatar of collaborating with Iranian-backed militias...

... The UAE has given Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave the country. Abu Dhabi accuses Qatar of "supporting, funding and embracing terrorism, extremism and sectarian organisations," state news agency WAM said

UAE airlines Etihad Airways, Emirates and Flydubai said they would suspend all flights to and from Qatari capital Doha from early Tuesday, local time

The Gulf allies said they had closed their airspace to Qatar Airways, which has suspended all its flights to Saudi Arabia

Bahrain's state news agency said it was cutting its ties because Qatar was "shaking the security and stability of Bahrain and meddling in its affairs"

The Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting Yemen's Houthi rebels also expelled Qatar from its alliance because of its "practices that strengthen terrorism" and its support to groups "including al-Qaeda and Daesh [IS], as well as dealing with the rebel militias", according to SPA.

BBC

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

BBC

Six Arab countries including Saudi Arabia and Egypt have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of destabilising the region.

I was just about to post this and then I spent five minutes looking for the thread on page 2 and beyond.

I suspected (incorrectly obviously) that blandy had mistakenly deleted it. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I was just about to post this and then I spent five minutes looking for the thread on page 2 and beyond.

I really should implement a search function :mrgreen:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

[Looks at evil moderating schedule]. Oh, I see snowychap is scheduled for "deletion" later today. Excellent!.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turkish troops take part in joint military exercises in Qatar

Turkish troops have arrived in Qatar to take part in joint training exercises, the Qatari defence ministry has said, as a diplomatic crisis in the Gulf enters its third week.

The first drills took place on Sunday at the Tariq bin Ziyad military base in Doha, the ministry said in a statement.

Qatar has been subject to an embargo led by Saudi Arabia since 5 June, when Riyadh and its allies including the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt cut ties over accusations that Qatar supports extremism. Qatar says those allegations are an attempt to compromise the independence of its foreign policy.

Turkey, one of Qatar’s strongest allies, has offered diplomatic support and flown in fresh dairy produce to get around the blockade.

Although the military drills had been “planned for some time” according to the Qatari defence ministry, the message of cohesion is significant given the extent to which both sides have been anxious to demonstrate how they are winning international support.

The Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has been outspoken in his support for the Qatari cause, condemning the Saudi-led blockade as “almost like a death sentence” for Qatar.

“Qatar is not the one who supports terrorism, quite the opposite,” he said last week. “Along with Turkey, it is the country with the most resolute stance against Isis which has caused grave damage to our region.”

Ankara and Doha are closely aligned on a number of diplomatic and economic fronts, with neither regarding the Muslim Brotherhood or Hamas as “terrorist organisations”. Qatar has also invested heavily in Turkey.

Doha-based broadcaster al-Jazeera – one of the targets of the anti-Qatar moves – carried images on its website of a column of armoured personnel carriers moving through streets on Sunday.

On 7 June - the third day of the crisis – the Turkish parliament fast-tracked legislation to allow the troops to be sent to Qatar. A military assessment team was then sent to Qatar to prepare for the deployment.

On Monday, Qatar accused its regional opponents of a “publicity stunt” aimed at attacking its image and reputation.

“The blockade has been ongoing for two weeks and the blockading nations have offered no formula for resolving the crisis,” Sheikh Saif bin Ahmed al-Thani, a Qatari government spokesmant.

“Meanwhile, the humanitarian impact of the blockade is real. Saudi, Emirati, and Bahraini families are being forcibly recalled by their governments today, despite being invited to stay by the government of Qatar. The social fabric … is being torn apart for political reasons and we will not allow ourselves to be a party to this injustice.

“The blockading nations seem to be more interested in attacking Qatar in the media than attacking the terrorists on the battlefield.”

Â