The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

my thoughts are that we should of paid for his flight over to syria and see how he would of liked life over there and see how he would of liked his daughter being sexually abused at some point but if he truly believes in isis then im sure it would not bother him. there is no difference here to walking around with a nazi flag or walking around with a banner which says p**** out, all of which are extremely offensive and have no place in this country. shocking but not surprising.

The right to offend is, thankfully, still legal in the UK. For how much longer I do not know.

weren't some nutter mob denied the right to hold a protest in Golders Green last week ? 

the held the protest somewhere else * ,so arguably it wasn't "denied" but the grounds for moving it were flimsy

* i say demo , i think it was 10 people ?

...so I'm not really buying your argument either that you didn't know that flag ...

I don't really care whether you believe me or not but I do take some exception at the clear implication that I have been lying. Edited by snowychap

o7vpe9.jpg

This looks like something out of a Cecil B DeMille film. I wondered why they hadn't blown up that site, looks like it's needed for propaganda. 

What I find fascinating with all these cults, be it IS or nazism or the Khmer Rouge and a host of others, is that they have such power over the mind.

You have a line of what, 20 to 25 men there on their knees. So I guess they are about to be executed on a stage. But there are no guards in close attendance. There is also a crowd of what appear to be 'civilians' and if we are to believe what we are told these will have been forced to attend and forced to watch. 

I would like think that if I was to be in either situation then I would resist. But the reality appears to be, people, the majority of people, simply don't. The threat of having your throat cut appears to make a person utterly compliant right up to the point of the throat cut.

It is odd.

As for various flags and their meanings, I am aware what an IS flag sort of looks like. But truly, if that other similar (but apparently fundamentally different) flag had been flying above those people about to be slaughtered i wouldn't have had sufficient knowledge of arabic script and nuance to know the difference. I certainly wouldn't run towards either flag if seeking refuge. Perhaps I'm just not paying enough attention.

• Like 1

What I find fascinating with all these cults, be it IS or nazism or the Khmer Rouge and a host of others, is that they have such power over the mind.

You have a line of what, 20 to 25 men there on their knees. So I guess they are about to be executed on a stage. But there are no guards in close attendance. There is also a crowd of what appear to be 'civilians' and if we are to believe what we are told these will have been forced to attend and forced to watch. 

I would like think that if I was to be in either situation then I would resist. But the reality appears to be, people, the majority of people, simply don't. The threat of having your throat cut appears to make a person utterly compliant right up to the point of the throat cut.

It is odd.

As for various flags and their meanings, I am aware what an IS flag sort of looks like. But truly, if that other similar (but apparently fundamentally different) flag had been flying above those people about to be slaughtered i wouldn't have had sufficient knowledge of arabic script and nuance to know the difference. I certainly wouldn't run towards either flag if seeking refuge. Perhaps I'm just not paying enough attention.

I've often thought the same , even to the point if it happens to me my last words will be something along the lines of " save me spiderpig "   , but as I understand it they line them up like this frequently and the hostages cling on to a vague  hope that this isn't the main event and just another warm up  for propaganda porpoises.

P.S well done on the flags , guess the 21st century has at least made it to Wales :)

P.P.S  -  I've been to that monument in Palmyra ..ok it didn't really warrant a PPS

Edited by tonyh29

I wouldn't recognise the IS flag either. I know it's white decoration on a black background but seen without context I couldn't be confident that it wasn't an Islamic flag. If I'd have been there I doubt I'd have looked twice.

And I think I'm quite well informed about world affairs.

• Like 1

I wouldn't recognise the IS flag either. I know it's white decoration on a black background but seen without context I couldn't be confident that it wasn't an Islamic flag. If I'd have been there I doubt I'd have looked twice.

And I think I'm quite well informed about world affairs.

meh ..

bru.gif

• Like 1

Invoke Godwin's law on me but ISIS ideology is equally as abhorrent as Nazism. Parading the Swastika would warrant police intervention no?

I don't think it would in fairness. You can fly a swastika all you want. It'll cause you trouble soon enough.

The IS flag (and all the numerous other Jihadi group flags that are all in the same style) doesn't have the instant pop culture recognition of the Nazi iconography. I think most people would assume the worst with it (even if there are similar Islamic flags that don't have the connotation) regardless and I suspect that bloke would get at least a few words soon enough.

And he'd probably deserve it.

Of course it has to be pointed out that there are historians who are of the opinion that the British are stuck in a Churchill cult, which ensures the British spend more on their military than most countries (2.2% of GDP, compared with the European average of 1.7%), and that every Prime Minister yearns for a chance to 'fight them on the beaches' etc, get their names in the history books, ensure that the number of British casualties are always greater than everyone else's except the USA, and give moral support for every act of American imperialism, in the full knowledge that military adventures are guaranteed to win votes.

The truth is that many people who belong to a cult do not realise it.  ;)

Parading such a flag would fall under the inciting religious/racial hatred banner would it not?

I understand he can't be arrested for wearing a flag but there is a line to be crossed surely?

There is freedom of speech to wear it but everyone else has freedom of speech to punch him in the face also.

Thinking about it, initially i agreed with those saying he shouldn't be done for wearing a flag but the more I've thought about it it should be an offence for the police tbh as it is connected to terrorism, he should at least be investigated to see how far his support goes.

But then I also believe anyone who displays edl regalia and emblems should be arrested as well. Same for BNP supporters out followers of any kind of group based around racial/religious hatred.

Edited by Ingram85

Freedom of speech does not permit punching someone in the face.

absolutely agreed

equally, if he was punched in the face, I'd have real problems describing the attacker to the police

and as for the swastika giving you problems with the police....nah

hqdefault.jpg

crlvrbcoleotazutmuoo.jpg

even when clearly not a hindu or jainist symbol it was somehow easily distinguishable even by a London copper as just dickheads trying to cause offence

a state we are yet to reach with IS

o7vpe9.jpg

This looks like something out of a Cecil B DeMille film. I wondered why they hadn't blown up that site, looks like it's needed for propaganda. 

That's from their latest video. Those people walking on from the left of the picture are IS child soldiers who carried out the executions.

Â