The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

On a lighter note, I think we have got a valuable insight into a more effective way of changing hearts and minds. **** the bombs, send them fairgrounds.

Rubber dinghy rapids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Two? or Twenty Two?

I heard Afghanistan being described as the most diversely cultural country in the world today, whilst I have no idea if that is true, I do think two is a little short on the numbers required

That would be Chad  

Interestingly Argentina is deemed to be the least cultural diverse country ... probably why the want the Falklands  to get some some non Nazi  bloodlines in the system 

5,000 refugees to be admitted to the UK from Afghanistan in the first 12 months of the new bespoke ‘system’.

Or to put it another way, every town and city in the UK is to take 4 Afghan refugees.

If the plan is seen through to completion this will eventually rise to a total of 16.

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

5,000 refugees to be admitted to the UK from Afghanistan in the first 12 months of the new bespoke ‘system’.

Or to put it another way, every town and city in the UK is to take 4 Afghan refugees.

If the plan is seen through to completion this will eventually rise to a total of 16.

Genuine question - any idea as to how many towns/cities that number would actually be divided across? It seems to me that the bulk of them would go into the ten or so biggest cities but I've never really thought about how incoming refugees are 'distributed' for want of a better word

18 hours ago, bickster said:

Two? or Twenty Two?

I heard Afghanistan being described as the most diversely cultural country in the world today, whilst I have no idea if that is true, I do think two is a little short on the numbers required

Pro-Taliban and Anti-Taliban?

Just now, regular_john said:

Genuine question - any idea as to how many towns/cities that number would actually be divided across? It seems to me that the bulk of them would go into the ten or so biggest cities but I've never really thought about how incoming refugees are 'distributed' for want of a better word

I just did a simple extrap of the number of towns and cities in the UK as best as I could count them, the ONS was good for England and Wales, it was Wikipedia for Scotland and a bit more fuzzy for Northern Ireland where I had to take out villages of less than 5,000 people.

So I got a number over 1,250 towns and cities with a population in the multiple thousands. Fag packet maths, I actually worked it out as 3.5 refugees per town.

Whether they would actually split them down that way, I highly doubt it. There will be ‘bids’ and you’ll find Cardiff will put its hand up for more than 4 and some other town will do some shoe gazing. There will be clusters, somewhere will have a ropey block of flats and take 16, somewhere else will take none. People close to the cluster might complain, everyone will be advised of the problems of the clusters so those towns that didn’t take any will end up with just as many concerned citizens as those that took more than their share. 

It’s how we do it. The newspapers and usual suspects love it.

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Maybe we should just split the land in half so the people can choose to live in the region most suitable for their beliefs. :blush:

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Pro-Taliban and Anti-Taliban?

spacer.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There's no room mate

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Good chance for ghouls to remind everyone of the division between 'deserving' and 'undeserving' migrants though:

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

The UK gov't has been shafted by the USA gov't. First Trump did a mad deal with the Talibans a year (plus a bit) ago, then the Taliban ignored that daft deal then Biden decided "never mind, we'll withdraw anyway". Once the yanks go, everyone else has to go.

I'm just not able to agree either that the deal was 'mad' or that the UK has been 'shafted'.

The US has the right - indeed I would say a moral duty, but definitely the right - to stop fighting a war it no longer perceives benefit in, and has lost democratic legitimacy; the UK has no reason to be involved in Afghanistan absent America's involvement; even if we did, it would have been our responsibility to develop a level of military capacity that we have not developed and no politician has argued for; and the UK government has had plenty of time to prepare for an American withdrawal that as been a long time coming.

Â