The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looking at the scenes at the airport, It's about 95% men.

Where are the women?

Waiting for the call from the UK to say her husband has secured her a free house, job and food 😉 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Awol said:

Here come the miners… 

I suppose there’s a natural level of sympathy with regimes that come to power soaked in the blood of their own people. 

China were happier with the status quo and the security the US was providing on their western border. They are just being pragmatic with the hand that has been dealt.

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Waiting for the call from the UK to say her husband has secured her a free house, job and food 😉 

They'll probably be dead by then. 

3 hours ago, coda said:

Where are the neocons? Would like to hear from Wolfowitz and the lads.

They're liberally dotted throughout the media and the Labour party, who have both spent much of the last 72 hours attacking Joe Biden from the right as a naive peacenik.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, coda said:

Where are the neocons? Would like to hear from Wolfowitz and the lads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Condy, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Cheney all say hi. Let's export Democracy around the world they said.

An inconvenient by-product will be $$ from tax payers (i.e. those too poor to afford expensive accountants) will be transferred to multi national arms corporations and their shareholders. But lets not advertise that because thats important right now.

But Democracy yay! (even if a few folks die along the way.)

It's just so, transparent.

I was talking to my local priest last night about this . My wife had made some home made banana cake and I dropped some round for him and his wife. His take on this is that if we quietly sent a few people over there distributing the good book , then the Taliban would eventually see the error of their ways and find the right path to god. As I was leaving he then shouted “And some of your wife’s banana cake” . He’s always had a sense of humour . 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was talking to my local priest last night about this . My wife had made some home made banana cake and I dropped some round for him and his wife. His take on this is that if we quietly sent a few people over there distributing the good book , then the Taliban would eventually see the error of their ways and find the right path to god. As I was leaving he then shouted “And some of your wife’s banana cake” . He’s always had a sense of humour . 

I really hope banana cake is not a euphemism. ;)

• Haha 1

Russia says Afghan president fled with cars and helicopter full of cash

Russia's embassy in Kabul said on Monday that Afghan President Ashraf Ghani had fled the country with four cars and a helicopter full of cash and had to leave some money behind as it would not all fit in, the RIA news agency reported.

Ghani, whose current whereabouts are unknown, said he left Afghanistan on Sunday as the Taliban entered Kabul virtually unopposed. He said he wanted to avoid bloodshed. read more

Russia has said it will retain a diplomatic presence in Kabul and hopes to develop ties with the Taliban even as it says it is no rush to recognise them as the country's rulers and will closely observe their behaviour.

"As for the collapse of the (outgoing) regime, it is most eloquently characterised by the way Ghani fled Afghanistan," Nikita Ishchenko, a spokesman for the Russian embassy in Kabul, was quoted as saying by RIA.

"Four cars were full of money, they tried to stuff another part of the money into a helicopter, but not all of it fit. And some of the money was left lying on the tarmac," he was quoted as saying.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/russia-says-afghan-president-fled-with-cars-helicopter-full-cash-ria-2021-08-16/

Perhaps take with a pinch of salt but wouldn't surprise me either.

Â