How much do you earn?

Genie

How much do you earn?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you earn?

• £0 (Student / Unemployed / Unemployable / Lazy :D )
    • <£10k
    • £10,001 to £19,999
    • £20,000 - £29,999
    • £30,000 - £39,999
    • £40,000 - £49,999
    • £50,000 - £59,999
    • £60,000 +

In Singapore with the cost of living rising faster than wage increases (just like in Britain) it's just common sense that people would not be interested in setting up families, or choose to have less, later. A lot of the elites (definition?) here, including the media, don't seem to understand this very basic logic though.

Talk about being out of touch sometimes.

This is a (relatively) recent development.

I'll bet in the big depression of the 1930s it had no effect whatsoever on people getting married and having kids - it's what people did; they just accepted that it would be a struggle.

Nowadays, people seem to believe that you have to have financial security before you can have a family. Probably quite sensible, but definitely a shift in attitude.

The US saw a noticeable decline in birth rate in the '30s (and it's not like there was much of a difference in terms of social safety nets between the US and UK at that point), to the extent that the Great Depression (and the stagflation of the 1970s) are the only periods over several years where the birth rate went below the replacement rate (which in most developed countries is 2.1, rounded to a single decimal place)

1930-34: 2.1 births/woman of childbearing age

1935-39: 2.0

1940-44: 2.5

1945-49: 3.0 (baby boom begins in '46)

1950-54: 3.3

1955-59: 3.7

1960-64: 3.4 (baby boom generally considered to end in '64)

1965-69: 2.6

1970-74: 2.1

1975-79: 1.8

Interesting, it looks like we have a contender for our famous fans thread, a top international snowboarder. :winkold:

Seriously though, it must be great doing a job-although I guess it may not feel like 'work'- you love and getting well paid for it . Good for you.

Interesting, it looks like we have a contender for our famous fans thread, a top international snowboarder. :winkold:

Anyone seen that Delap throw in?

:D

Was about to post the same thing ;)

Anyone seen that Delap throw in?

I hear that Tom Hanks is a Villa fan and that there's a French band called Aston Villa. Oh and bears shit in the woods!

RunRickyRun wrote:

BangkokVilla wrote:

Interesting, it looks like we have a contender for our famous fans thread, a top international snowboarder. Wink

Anyones seen that Delap throw in?

I hear that Tom Hanks is a Villa fan and that there's a French band called Aston Villa. Oh and bears shit in the woods!

Seems I am behind the times...didn't realise she was that well-known. Can't say I recognised her in the photo.

Still, happy to provide an opportunity for some 'delapping'.

Â