Sony Vita topic

Chindie

The 'Next Generation Portable' which for some reason they won't call the PSP2. Anywho, here it is.

psp2_ngp_update.jpg

The Full Specs

• CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
  • GPU: SGX543MP4+
  • External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
  • Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
  • Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
  • Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
  • Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
  • Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
  • Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Somehow, I don't see this doing anything in the market the PSP already didn't. And the PSP wasn't a raving success (and the Go was a genuine flop). Interesting though, I guess. Shock horror at UMD getting dropped.

Apparently it has comparable to PS3 graphics. Heard that before, but truth be told the games shots look amazing. Of course those are largely tech demos and the like so don't tell the whole story but hey, under the hood it's hard to deny it's a beast.

Rear touch pad coupled to front touch screen has gimmick written all over it.

Apparently it has comparable to PS3 graphics.

At a glance no doubt, much like the PSP has "comparable to PS2" graphics. This new PSP has a 5" screen with a maximum resolution of 940*544 pixels. I would imagine most games will be running at around the 480p mark, which aint PS3 resolution.

This thing will live or die by its price. If its more expensive than an iPod touch, it will flop (in the west at least, dunno about Japan) and I'd wager the thing being as expensive as an iPhone. I cant see myself buying one any time soon.

...hence the heard that before bit ;), since the GBA each company has said comparable to '________' graphics, and it never quite is, but gives you a decent hint at the kind of power you're looking at. If it genuinely did have PS3 level graphics it'd have a battery life you could measure on a 60 second stopwatch.

I think it'll follow in the PSPs footsteps and be less of a hit than they'd expect over here. The PSP just never really kicked off here, it sold enough to not be a flop but never really blew the socks off the market.

I won't be buying one regardless of price.

and i agree sony will launch it at silly money, surely it cant be more than a ps3? gives them £250

I'll be amazed if it launches sub £250..

Nintendo are launching the 3DS at more than they've ever charged for the Wii, the cost of the respective home consoles doesn't come into it really. They'll charge a price that they believe they can get away with, and with Sonys track record that price will be steep.

If this thing launches at under £300 I'll be quite surprised. To be viable as a serious seller i think it needs to be much less than that, but I can't see them doing that.

Guess we'll find out when they actually announce the price in 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

But they have been in the same fight for 5 years and you won't get the FPS, Car racing sims and such on the DS, you won't get the Pokemon, Mario, Platformers on the PSP2 so it does measure out, I want both... love the DS for Final Fantasy type games but I am definitely edging towards PSP now.

and i agree sony will launch it at silly money, surely it cant be more than a ps3? gives them £250

I'll be amazed if it launches sub £250..

Nintendo are launching the 3DS at more than they've ever charged for the Wii, the cost of the respective home consoles doesn't come into it really. They'll charge a price that they believe they can get away with, and with Sonys track record that price will be steep.

If this thing launches at under £300 I'll be quite surprised. To be viable as a serious seller i think it needs to be much less than that, but I can't see them doing that.

Guess we'll find out when they actually announce the price in 6 months.

Agreed, it really can't be under £300 can it? Personally I'm not sure I really want everything that Sony is trying to provide here. They seem to just fill their stuff with lots of tech "just because it's cool" and end up with insanely priced handheld versions of regular stationary consoles. I've got the 360 and soon a PS3 to play the big AAA stuff. For the handheld market I'd be more interested in games that keep me entertained on the go and the iPhone has taught me that gaming on the go isn't necessarily at its best when playing essentially the same games as I can play at hom in my couch. I have an open mind though and the NGP certainly looks impressive on paper, but considering my experience with the PSP and it's "PS2 experience", I doubt I'll get one.

• 1 month later...
Ubisoft have leaked the price during some polling session, $250 for the standard, $350 for the 3G

so that £250-£350, not bad at all IMO

Fixed. Because that is generally how hardware prices translate on either side of the pond.

I wonder what features this will ship with that they'll decide to reach out and take away from customers once they've already paid for it.

Sony are words removed, stop giving them your money.

• 2 months later...
Â