Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I'm not sure about this one - it'll give him some game time and it should be an easy loan for him but he's better than that level IMO. 

I think he is every bit a Championship CB personally.

Wish him well and hope it enables us to command a decent fee for him from them or another club in the summer.

I thought he'd do really well in the championship to be honest. He looked like a good premier league defender last season, but injuries really stopped any consistency with him. It's hard to find good form when you can only play a handful of matches then sit out for a couple of months. Bristol got a really good player if he can stay fit. 

I don't see what he's going to learn from the move tbh.

He may learn with more game time not to be so rash but I doubt it.

I agree with you really, i see it as putting him the shop window more than being about development personally.

You're probably right, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the ambition is simply to get rid of him, why did we offer him a new contract at the time Burnley had had a bid for him accepted? This is what I don't understand - I don't expect everyone to agree with me that he's got a lot of potential, but if the aim was simply to get rid, we've already thrown away a golden opportunity. 

I agree with you really, i see it as putting him the shop window more than being about development personally.

You're probably right, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the ambition is simply to get rid of him, why did we offer him a new contract at the time Burnley had had a bid for him accepted? This is what I don't understand - I don't expect everyone to agree with me that he's got a lot of potential, but if the aim was simply to get rid, we've already thrown away a golden opportunity. 

I think perhaps Sherwood wasn't sure and didn't want to sell him just yet before he's had a chance to get a few more games under his belt

I think this is a cracking move for him. Not far from his hometown, probably doesnt have to move and Bristol City, while not necessarily a huge name, are going places. They have a massively rich chairman investing heavily in the stadium etc. Callum Robinson is already there, unfortunately for him I can see him taking Derrick Williams place if everyone's fit. They also quite like their wing backs so could spend alot of time in a back 3/5 and they need a good old fashioned stopper. Really good fit.

• Like 1

Yeah I am still expecting Clark and Baker long term to be good prem quality CBs, Clark has better touch and passing but Baker can be a good defender IMO. All the chuckle brothers rubbish got right on my hoo-ha. 

Clark has gone from hate figure (with some) to hero (with some) and back to being dissed quite frequently in less than 12 months. Baker never had the run in the first team that Clark had because of injury and them both being left sided I reckon, so playing regular in Brizzle will be great for him. If what VILLAMARV says about playing in a 3 is right, then that would be very good for him and us indeed. It's something I can see Sherwood doing with the players we have now.

I'm not certain if they did have a bid accepted but in any case there are a few reasons why it perhaps didn't happen, such as Baker saying no. Or perhaps Sherwood is undecided on him but would rather not flog him but did the decent thing and accepted the bid because he knew he was bringing in a number of CB's but Baker wanted to fight for his future here.

Once that move didn't happen, if indeed it was an option then the club has a decision to make. Do they give him a new deal, send him out on loan and see what happens or do they allow his contract to run down and ultimately run the risk of it expiring?

As a football club let alone a business we can't keep getting nominal fee's for players or allowing them to leave on free's as we've done so many times in the last few years. We've done this through a combination of poor contract management, poor signings and desperation to shift players leaving us in a weak position.

With Baker now, we can't really lose. He will be on relatively low wages, which you'd imagine are in some part being covered by Bristol. If he does well we either bring him back or sell him. If he doesn't we either try and sell him or loan him again.

The outlay in terms of his wages could be very positively out weighed by any fee's, loans or through sale.

We can't really lose on this one as far as I see it, good management of a resource by the club and manager whatever peoples perspective on his ability/potential.

And I say that as someone who was initially disappointed that he had been given a new deal but that was because I thought it meant we wouldn't sign better options.

• Like 2

Clark has gone from hate figure (with some) to hero (with some) and back to being dissed quite frequently in less than 12 months.

I really don't think that is true.

Nobody hates him. A lot didn't rate him, some of whom changed their mind last season and some of whom didn't like myself, now this season some of those who changed their minds last season have changed them back while others like myself still hold our original view on him. Some meanwhile continue to rate him.

All fair enough.

Nobody hates him though.

Baker shouldn't be back here unless he finds some serious form. I mean fair play to him, but I have never seen such a ordinary player in the premiership. No skill, tackles rash, gets injuries nearly every game and there's always a mistake in him. Sorry guys, in my youth I played with defenders with more to there game than Baker. Personally I think its only his Premiership experience that has got him in at Bristol.

He was terrible. Hopefully we have funds for a top CB next summer, and this guy, for all his hard work and bravery, is gone.

About time we got ruthless.

I agree with you about baker, but which top cb could we possibly sign? Utd, arsenal, Chelsea could all do with an improvement in that area but haven't signed anyone top there.

The ruthlessness I agree with.  It's the Nigel Adkins Sacked at Southampton effect.  Baker did a job for us, threw his body on the line, in troubled times.  He don't need that kind of 'hero' any more.  So, sweet farewells and many thank yous, but we've evolved and I fear that Baker won't.

Clark has gone from hate figure (with some) to hero (with some) and back to being dissed quite frequently in less than 12 months.

I really don't think that is true.

Nobody hates him. A lot didn't rate him, some of whom changed their mind last season and some of whom didn't like myself, now this season some of those who changed their minds last season have changed them back while others like myself still hold our original view on him. Some meanwhile continue to rate him.

All fair enough.

Nobody hates him though.

ok maybe hate is too strong but so was a lot of the criticism.

I'm not certain if they did have a bid accepted but in any case there are a few reasons why it perhaps didn't happen, such as Baker saying no. Or perhaps Sherwood is undecided on him but would rather not flog him but did the decent thing and accepted the bid because he knew he was bringing in a number of CB's but Baker wanted to fight for his future here.

Once that move didn't happen, if indeed it was an option then the club has a decision to make. Do they give him a new deal, send him out on loan and see what happens or do they allow his contract to run down and ultimately run the risk of it expiring?

As a football club let alone a business we can't keep getting nominal fee's for players or allowing them to leave on free's as we've done so many times in the last few years. We've done this through a combination of poor contract management, poor signings and desperation to shift players leaving us in a weak position.

With Baker now, we can't really lose. He will be on relatively low wages, which you'd imagine are in some part being covered by Bristol. If he does well we either bring him back or sell him. If he doesn't we either try and sell him or loan him again.

The outlay in terms of his wages could be very positively out weighed by any fee's, loans or through sale.

We can't really lose on this one as far as I see it, good management of a resource by the club and manager whatever peoples perspective on his ability/potential.

And I say that as someone who was initially disappointed that he had been given a new deal but that was because I thought it meant we wouldn't sign better options.

Alright, thanks Trent, that's a good explanation. 

• 1 month later...
Â