Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Lol that's a load of rubbish. Of course he's got ability, he's a professional footballer!!!

Messi has all the ability in the world, would you chuck him in at centre half? I mean you've either got it or you haven't right?!

It's obvious that he has the basic attributes of a centre half. He's big, strong, hard in the tackle, good in the air and fearless.

His positional sense needs some work, he has already improved his decision making and has cut out some of the rash challenges.

Part of the issue is he wants to win every ball and only with experience will that improve. Needs to work on his distribution too, he will never be a ball playing defender, but he can improve in this area.

Tim and his team can work with him and improve him - that's what coaches are for. If he hasn't moved forward in 12-18 months then bin him off for a reasonable fee. No need to chuck him on the scrap heap just yet.

No patience in modern football.

He's 24 for God's sake! What is it with Villa fans and treating players in their mid-20's as prospects? Defensive reading, as with most aspects, is funadementally inherent. It can be harnessed via coaching but the capacity has to be there in the first place. Baker hasn't shown any indication that he possesses the ability to make it as a half-decent centre-back, in my opinion. If you believe otherwise, that's fine but nothing to do with a lack of patience on my part.

Edited by Isa

Get him out on loan, we certainly can't rely on him atm. A full season playing somewhere should help him improve.

If he hasn't got it now. He never will.

The most he has managed in a season is 18 games, judge him after he has played a full season without interruption.

Anyone listen to TS interview and his thoughts on Baker.  Made a point that he has the talent and is still a prospect although he should be more than that he says.  He says NB needs to become more durable mentally.  He also said they weren't ready to see him leave on permanent deal.  Maybe loan deal on the offing?

Slightly strange choice by Charlie Nicholas here in Sky Sports season preview:

Charlie Nicholas' one to watch: "I’m intrigued by their new signings but I’m looking at Nathan Baker as a potential key player for them. He’s going to have to step up and learn from his mistakes."

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined Bristol City on loan.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4972842,00.html

Nathan Baker has joined Bristol City on a season-long loan.

The 24-year-old agreed the deal this afternoon on transfer deadline day.

Baker enjoyed loan spells at Lincoln City and Millwall earlier in his career.

The centre-back put pen to paper on a new four-year deal at Villa in late July.

He will now continue his football education during his spell at Ashton Gate and will link up with fellow Villan Callum Robinson.

Slightly strange choice by Charlie Nicholas here in Sky Sports season preview:

Charlie Nicholas' one to watch: "I’m intrigued by their new signings but I’m looking at Nathan Baker as a potential key player for them. He’s going to have to step up and learn from his mistakes."

Nice one Champagne Charlie.

Clueless earring wearing muppet.

• Like 2

good luck to him, hope he comes back even better - think he'll do very well for them.

Was predictable with Lescott coming in, glad at last he ought to now get a full 30+ games in a season rather than a handful here and there.

I'm not sure about this one - it'll give him some game time and it should be an easy loan for him but he's better than that level IMO. 

If he really was, he'd be playing in the apparently terrible Aston Villa defence.

I'm not sure about this one - it'll give him some game time and it should be an easy loan for him but he's better than that level IMO. 

I think he is every bit a Championship CB personally.

Wish him well and hope it enables us to command a decent fee for him from them or another club in the summer.

I think this should be a good move for everyone. Bristol are a decent and ambitious team where he will play a big part. If he can get through a season as a key player for them, without major injuries, he'll come back a better member of our squad. 

Â