Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Sherwood must rate him if he's got him to sign up to a new deal. Expect Clark to follow suit. Personally, for me Baker has always been one of my favourite players (even though he has had shockers in the past) and I think he has the scope to improve his game a lot but he always gives it 110% (sometimes too much, resulting in various head injuries). I want at least some of our academy graduates to make it, and I firmly believe that Clark and Grealish can become mainstays of Sherwood's team, with Baker hot on their heels!

I'm quite pleased with this, not delighted, he wouldn't have been high on my agenda for a new contract but then who in the squad would be?

I do think that as well as being happy (we assume) to be a 'squad player' he carries another importance. The likes of him, Clark and (unfortunately for his detractors) Gabby have an important role to play in helping all the new players to bed in and to unify the squad off the pitch.

Obviously we've brought in a sizeable number of players from France and we know, depending on who you believe that at Newcastle they had issues with a clique of players in the dressing room which naturally we really want to avoid happening.

Baker, Clark, Gabby etc you would imagine to be major personalities in the dressing room (the latter being known for it) and will be key in bringing together all the new players.

Clark and Baker to battle it out for left sided CB, Okore and Richards/Cresp for right side.

Need something more in there IMO

Good lad. I like Baker.

Same here, I was a little disappointed when I saw the Burnley rumours. He might not set the world alight, but he played well last year and as much as we don't want to keep players for this sole reason, he has been here an awful long time and feels like 'one of us'.

If he left and managed to have a decent career at a lower prem side, we'd be wondering why we let him go for so cheap.

As cover/ rotation on presumably modest wages, I'm very happy he's signed a new deal.

• Like 1

Glad about this one, would've been a shame if we let him go cheap. Centre backs often develop slower so 24 is still young & he's shown signs of maturing, mainly just injuries have held him back. Most people were writing off Clark as lost cause last summer & now he's seen as important member of first XI. Not impossible that Baker has a similar transition..

• Like 1

Â