Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AVFC-Prideofbrum

Nathan Baker

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He has been shite on many occasions and so has Clark. Neither were premier league standard. 

Hopefully he can find his level this season and develop as a player. 

 

Clark was sold for £5m, he would get in quite a few PL first XIs in my opinion, Clark and Baker are premier league quality players in my opinion

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Clark was sold for £5m, he would get in quite a few PL first XIs in my opinion, Clark and Baker are premier league quality players in my opinion

They've been awful in the premier league. Genuinely embarrassing at times. Strange that at such a low price no premier league teams were interested in Clark. 

They may well be in the future but they've done little to warrant that last statement so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker and Clark are quite like Elphick i would think. All are good center backs for the Championship but are unable to step up to the Premier League. Hopefully Baker can prove that notion wrong if we get promoted

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

They've been awful in the premier league. Genuinely embarrassing at times. Strange that at such a low price no premier league teams were interested in Clark. 

They may well be in the future but they've done little to warrant that last statement so far. 

How do you know that no PL teams were in for Clark? I'd wager that there were PL teams in for him but obviously we have no evidence, Clark obviously wanted to leave. In my opinion, they kept us in the premier league for a few seasons, obviously not singlehandedly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Neither Clark or Baker are good enough to be starting Premier League CB's and never will be. The criticism of them both has been entirely justified in my view.

Sorry but how can you assert that he will never be premier league quality? He has already performed admirably and to good effect in the premier league. Granted there were days when he could have played better but he was younger more inexperienced and thrown in at the deep end. I recall being impressed after  many games and the previously mentioned one against Spurs is but one example .

He is improving and will most likely continue to do so if properly coached.

Edited by Niall
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Baker can make it as a Premier league centre half if it can stay fit. Until last season someone like Chris Smalling looked shocking but now he's a good centre half, and is about a year older than Baker so fingers crossed he can prove us all wrong, this season and then next season as well 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

I still think Baker can make it as a Premier league centre half if it can stay fit. Until last season someone like Chris Smalling looked shocking but now he's a good centre half, and is about a year older than Baker so fingers crossed he can prove us all wrong, this season and then next season as well 

Smelling is a year and a half older than Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

How do you know that no PL teams were in for Clark? I'd wager that there were PL teams in for him but obviously we have no evidence, Clark obviously wanted to leave. In my opinion, they kept us in the premier league for a few seasons, obviously not singlehandedly

They were one of the main reasons we were near the bottom.

I have no proof, but the fact is he left and went to a championship side. Why wouldn't he pick a premier league team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

They were one of the main reasons we were near the bottom.

I have no proof, but the fact is he left and went to a championship side. Why wouldn't he pick a premier league team?

I disagree with your first statement, they are still young for centre backs

As for your second statement, he is virtually guaranteed first team football at Newcastle United, that wasn't the case at our football club, he needs first team football at his age of 27 years old. They are also probably paying considerably more than he was getting at our football club but again there is no way of proving that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Niall said:

Sorry but how can you assert that he will never be premier league quality? He has already performed admirably and to good effect in the premier league. Granted there were days when he could have played better but he was younger more inexperienced and thrown in at the deep end. I recall being impressed after  many games and the previously mentioned one against Spurs is but one example .

He is improving and will most likely continue to do so if properly coached.

Because I'm giving my opinion not stating fact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont give a tom tit about whether Baker is PL quality or not. I would keep him in the team and think he is good enough for the Championship. Elphick has not impressed and Baker is just as good if not better atm. His distribution is not great but he is solid enough. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I disagree with your first statement, they are still young for centre backs

As for your second statement, he is virtually guaranteed first team football at Newcastle United, that wasn't the case at our football club, he needs first team football at his age of 27 years old. They are also probably paying considerably more than he was getting at our football club but again there is no way of proving that

You say he's premier league quality and that premier league teams were in for him but then say he can only get first team football in the championship at the age of 27. 

You're contradicting yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Elphick has not impressed

This is the important point. Baker and Chester are currently our best partnership and everything other than that regarding how good is Baker is not that relevant.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker had a fine game yesterday and i trust him next to Chester much more

than i do Elphick,sometimes injuries can really  work out for the team

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I genuinely thought bakesy was brilliant on Saturday, his block at the end was heroic, really put his body on the line.  He didn't put a foot wrong and won EVERYTHING, as did Jimmy Chester who looks much much better next to baker. I think this pairing could really grow into a premier league CD partnership the more they play together and with some nurturing by Brucey. I like Elphick, he is obviously a great guy and a good influence on the squad as captain, but at the moment.. he needs to wait to get his shirt back. Its funny really as I have been one of bakers biggest critics and had written him off a couple of years back. The year at Bristol looks to have done him the world of good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Clark was sold for £5m, he would get in quite a few PL first XIs in my opinion, Clark and Baker are premier league quality players in my opinion

I actually think they were both built for the Championship, the style suites them far more than the Prem. I just feel the Prem is too fast for them, it showed on quite a few occasions when we were in the prem. I think they have both been great this season but in my opinion I think they would look average in the league above.

On another note, i've been so impressed with Baker this season. I would keep him in the side from now on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â