Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

I expect it's going to be quite tough for Elphick to regain his spot. Baker looked excellent today alongside Chester, they compliment each other very well.

The chuckle Brothers seems a long time ago now doesn't it! He's certainly taken his chance. 

• Like 1

Just now, villarocker said:

Maybe he's already benefitting for having a manager who was a top defender himself? 

It's been a while since we had a manager who could set up a defence, so it's no surprise that we've had a number of defenders who have looked awful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah I don't think Baker's problem has ever been a lack of a ability, more never being fit.

I think his rashness has been a big factor in him not being that good previously. He seems calmer now and, at Championship level, comfortable. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think his rashness has been a big factor in him not being that good previously. He seems calmer now and, at Championship level, comfortable. 

Possibly being managed better too.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has never been shite as many have tried to say, he has mostly been unfit, part of an overall shite team, or a scapegoat. 

The same way Clark has never actually been as shite as alot on here say either.

Same could be said for alot of players.

Lose next week and watch him be "The worst player to ever wear the shirt" etc.

Neither Clark or Baker are good enough to be starting Premier League CB's and never will be. The criticism of them both has been entirely justified in my view.

Baker did well today but in all honesty there was next to no threat from Fulham.

In a team not under pressure Baker and for that matter Clark will do okay, especially at this level.

But put under more intense pressure or against better forwards both will in my view succumb to the same mistakes that have been so characteristic in their careers to date.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Neither Clark or Baker are good enough to be starting Premier League CB's and never will be. The criticism of them both has been entirely justified in my view.

Baker did well today but in all honesty there was next to no threat from Fulham.er.

In a team not under pressure Baker and for that matter Clark will do okay, especially at this level.

But put under more intense pressure or against better forwards both will in my view succumb to the same mistakes that have been so characteristic in their careers to date.

Fair enough, but personally I feel they are both players who, even in the Premier League, thrive when they have a solid, assured partner beside them. They are, especially Baker, more blood, guts and last ditch save type defenders as a pose to intelligent defenders. Vlaar, Chester etc bring out the best in these types of players and I genuinely think every team needs this type of player.

• Like 2

Always rated him, though his main problem is he goes for everything and ends up out for a few weeks injured.  CB's build a bonding with each other and being out every 3 games doesnt help that. When being a CB u also have to use judgement on what you should go for and not.

We know what hes good at.

We know what he's bad at.

He'll get better as we start to dominate more teams and they go long more often. He should start scoring a few for how well he attacks the ball actually. That'll be nice.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We know what hes good at.

We know what he's bad at.

He'll get better as we start to dominate more teams and they go long more often. He should start scoring a few for how well he attacks the ball actually. That'll be nice.

Is this a chant for him to the Sloop John B tune?  I reckon the last line might be a bit lengthy ;)

• Like 1

he started poor as he was thrown into deep end with Clark which could have killed both their careers but I think he has improved since then. 2014/15 he didnt play that much but I thought he showed quality at times. Had a brilliant game at White Hart Lane when we won under Sherwood and Kane was in red hot form and dont think he had a sniff that day

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has never been shite as many have tried to say, he has mostly been unfit, part of an overall shite team, or a scapegoat. 

The same way Clark has never actually been as shite as alot on here say either.

Same could be said for alot of players.

Lose next week and watch him be "The worst player to ever wear the shirt" etc.

He has been shite on many occasions and so has Clark. Neither were premier league standard. 

Hopefully he can find his level this season and develop as a player. 

Â