Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I thought he was decent but personally I'd prefer Clark. Very noteworthy that team spirit in general and our defensive performances in particular have been greatly improved since Warnock has been out of the matchday squad.

Only worry i have about him and Clark is that they are both left footed, how did it work in the youth team games?

Dont see it as a concern myself. The left footed / right footed thing with central defenders is largely irrelevant, far more important is how they integrate with each other understanding each others game and what they need to do if their partner does something

Nathan gets praise from GH in this B'Ham Post Article

Nathan Baker takes the heat out of Aston Villa's search for a left-back

By Mat Kendrick

Jan 28 2011

Gerard Houllier has abandoned his search for a new left-back this month – after hailing the emergence of rookie defender Nathan Baker.

The 19-year-old made an impressive debut in Aston Villa’s 2-1 win at Wigan on Tuesday, after replacing fellow young centre-half Ciaran Clark who has a hamstring problem.

And Houllier insists Villa don’t need a more experienced No.3 despite Stephen Warnock being out of favour and training with the reserves.

“I won’t recruit a left-back because Ciaran can help,” said Houllier. “When he can do it he does it and when he can’t do it now we’ve also got Nathan and we’ve got other options as well.

“I’m sure you were surprised by Nathan. I am at every training. I sometimes led the training myself, but watching every training is very telling because you can see the progress of some players.

“I told him ‘you’re improving and your time will come’.

“When Ciaran had a hamstring problem, which I hope will be all right for the next game, there were several options and there was one direct option to put the young boy in.

“He did very well because he probably had to face the best player on their side. He did it with composure. He didn’t do many mistakes or stupid fouls.

‘‘He’s a strong lad and he’s improving every day.”

Houllier also praised another debutant Jean Makoun and stand-in captain Ashley Young, whose penalty strike sealed the win.

“To launch Jean was also a risk,” he said. “He played with accuracy, his passing was good.

“Ashley was good. I think he’s proud of being captain, but when you do that there’s more responsibilty.

“I took him off because he’s given everything. He’s one of the players who covers more ground every game.”

Houllier was delighted to see Gabriel Agbonlahor score after the attacker became a dad again at the weekend.

“Gabby was good,” he said. “His girlfriend had a baby so I was not sure whether to play him. He scored and he needed that goal psychologically.’’

Another first team game under his belt!

2 wins in a row for Baker (albeit, getting sent off Today!)

I didn't see the game but a lot of people are saying he was unlucky to be sent off. I've seen some pics on gettyimages and it doesn't look two-footed. Maybe it was the pace of the tackle that was deemed dangerous.

Anyway.. keep your head down Baker and keep working hard!

It'd be ace if a couple of our youngsters actually make it as a decent Prem players. Baker, Clark, Albrighton, Bannan, Gardner, Delph, Fonz... we can be the new Barca!!

I'm sure he will learn his lesson from this and will get his head down to keep favour. The kids seem to have the desire to make it and are working very hard. The only one I think will be shipped out becasue of attitude is Forrester. What a waste of a million that was!

Very solid today, got caught slightly out of position for the goal, but it was a great pass that did that. Good cross for the goal.

Couldn't see his tackle very well, the bloke next to me said he got sent off for 'falling' on whoever it was lol and it was a disgrace :lol:

Thought he was unlucky with the sending off, it was right in front of me. He went in hard, but there wasn't any malicious intent, or anything it was mistimed and unfortunate. Unlucky for him though that referees are in the spotlight and any over the top challenge is always gonna see red.

Â