• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Reo-Coker
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Petrov (for Makoun 57)
    • Albrighton (for Agbonlahor 77)
    • Herd (for A Young 88)

2-0 and we are coasting , Wigan looked like a team that know they are going down

1 fluky OG later and we are hanging on for grim life .. was sure they would get a second as well

Between Dunne and NRC for me , probably give it to Dunne as NRC faded a bit near the end

Makoun looked a very tidy player and looks like he will fit right in

Gabbys goal gave him a real lift and he looked much better today second half

Baker had some good but hopelessly out of position at times but Dunne covered for him admirably .. we'd better get that LB we are after rather soon though

bossed the game mostly and should have come out 4-0 but we wouldn't be Villa if we didn't make hard work of it

we have a bit to much in the wide player department but I'd take N'Zogbia as well , wasted at Wigan

I think we were probably still recovering from the Citeh game, but at the end of the day its another win - back to back! We made it difficult, but we held on, and I think it will become easier! All of a sudden 6 points above the drop zone, 2 points behind Bolton - I swear they were miles ahead not that long ago

Mildly perturbed that most of the teams around us have a game in hand on us and we're going to OTrafford to take another potentially big hit to the goal difference, but the run of fixtures between that and the last two games of the season all look winnable

Collins MOTM.

Makoun impressed but was glad to see him replaced as he looked like he was lacking a bit of sharpness IMO still very impressed and to have the option of bringing Petrov on as a sub is a massive boost that will serve us well.

Brilliant 3points but im getting a heart condition from all of these nervy final ten minutes :oops:

Collins solid (except for the deflection)

Bent tireless (except never getting the ball the way he needed it)

Brad produced some good saves

Makoun looked good, needs time to bed in to the english game though

Downing wasted a few too many but wasn't awful

I think if that lucky deflection hadn't have happened we may well have won by 3 and all feel much more positive, but an away win on that hell hole of pitch is definitely a good result.

well if gabby is eithe rplayed upfront or on the right, he will be fine, put him on the left and he is shit.

this is hands down, downings worst game this season, bottled EVERYTHING gave it away, poor decision making poor **** everything.

put us under pressure countless times through stopping an attack and passing it back to a defender under pressure.

stop **** thinking about your **** opta stats for completed passes you fanny fart, you have been doing this for the last 8 weeks or more.

NRC was what we hoped Makoun would be oddly enough, until around the 70 to 75th minute when i guess having had to cover for chicken shit downing as well as do his own stuff AND try and protect makoun, he got **** knackered.

for me cuellar was man of the match, bearing in mind the cock he had to also cover he was a beast tonight.

bent for me should have scored early on, i was almost more suprised he didnt put it away, same with the second effort although downing did try his best to **** it completely up for him.

i thought ashley young was great tonight for his energy, but please to **** god, he is not a second striker, he put in countless challenges in their half to stop them having easy posession but he should be delivering it in to bent rather than running around putting in tackles.

baker was ok, nothing great but his confidence grew at 2-0 until that **** downing kept putting our defence under pressure then like the rest of the team bar bent, they started bottling it.

despite only playing with 10 we were very comfortable and 2-0 up despite downing.

i am guessing either he deliberately played the worst he has played in a good 12 months as a protest to playing on the wrong side or he is looking to get dropped.

petrov steadied the ship but again he was played into trouble by the every shit tonight downing.

makoun did some decent stuff but the game passed him by, im glad he started and also that he came off when he did, he was looking a little lost in the end. he did some nice things though so showed promise, didnt see ay salmon like leaps from him, more tinned tuna but i guess with confidence in the team he will get better.

first 70 or so minutes everyone acept downing gets an 8

last 15 minutes bent was our best player holding it up to relieve the pressure.

dunne and collins were not bad but were not as good as the other day.

albrighton looked short of pace for the 8 minutes he came on or what ever it was.

GH, well we won so technically he gets a 10

however please **** please do NOT play downing on the right any more, he is NOT any good on the right, if he were he would have played some part of the last 20 years as a player on the right, he hasnt.

and gabby on the left?

in the summer time when the pitch is firm and grassy he can use his pace and have time to turn, in the winter time he has less time to turn and the going is not as firm under foot.

if he plays he needs to be up front with bent or if not i dont think he should start i prefer albrighton on the right.

on the left it again is easy for me, either downing or young and drop the other to the bench

downing has been one of ourt best players up till around 8 games ago when he obviously thought he would try and get the highest percentage of successful passes no matter what, and passes the ball back at every opportunity no matter how good a position we are in when going forward, he would rather pass it back than whip it into the box.

that is very wrong and needs **** sorting.

well done though for the win ( im still pissed off at how downing was SO shit tonight)

i don't get it, i didn't watch the match tonight as i was busy but about 3/4 of fans are saying downing was abysmal and the other 1/4 saying hes outstanding :? was he actually good in some parts or are people taking the mickey...

Downing was about the same as he has been for most of the games this season. A great outlet, always pops up with the ball and drives out of defence, taking the ball a long way. Real quality with his control and passing and looks a top class player.

Only problem is, once he gets to the point of doing the business, he'll invariably choose the wrong option. Won't be confident enough to take a cross on his right foot, or take a snap shot when a space opens up. He's trying, and getting a lot of the ball, but it's just not coming off right now, and it's affecting his confidence, which seems to be a bit brittle.

It's just a standard drop in form. He'll pick it back up and will have an end product to the effort pretty soon.

Good win, think we could have put the game to bed in the first half hour.

went missing for between 25th min and 2dn goal then played with confidence but they got a jammy goal back.

GH played it gutsy picking Baker but it paid off, looked a great player.

Downing n Gabby could have been better, i think its obvious Gab isnt a winger but i think he offers more getting back than Downing or Marc hence him playing LW. Ideally would have been better to see Young n Downing on the wings.

Bent played well made a few chances in the first half, was open a lot just needed the ball played to him.

Couldnt watch ET, but not conceding hopefuly demonstrates the difference between villa now and earlier in the season

UTV

Makoun will be great when he gets used to it.. especially in the final 15 min in similar situations. So calm on the ball.. i dont think he ever lost possession.

Faded as the game went on.. game is probably alot quicker than what hes used to.

I would like to see Petrov Makoun and Reo instead of Downing in that middle three of that formation.

well if gabby is eithe rplayed upfront or on the right, he will be fine, put him on the left and he is shit.

this is hands down, downings worst game this season, bottled EVERYTHING gave it away, poor decision making poor **** everything.

put us under pressure countless times through stopping an attack and passing it back to a defender under pressure.

stop **** thinking about your **** opta stats for completed passes you fanny fart, you have been doing this for the last 8 weeks or more.

NRC was what we hoped Makoun would be oddly enough, until around the 70 to 75th minute when i guess having had to cover for chicken shit downing as well as do his own stuff AND try and protect makoun, he got **** knackered.

for me cuellar was man of the match, bearing in mind the cock he had to also cover he was a beast tonight.

bent for me should have scored early on, i was almost more suprised he didnt put it away, same with the second effort although downing did try his best to **** it completely up for him.

i thought ashley young was great tonight for his energy, but please to **** god, he is not a second striker, he put in countless challenges in their half to stop them having easy posession but he should be delivering it in to bent rather than running around putting in tackles.

baker was ok, nothing great but his confidence grew at 2-0 until that **** downing kept putting our defence under pressure then like the rest of the team bar bent, they started bottling it.

despite only playing with 10 we were very comfortable and 2-0 up despite downing.

i am guessing either he deliberately played the worst he has played in a good 12 months as a protest to playing on the wrong side or he is looking to get dropped.

petrov steadied the ship but again he was played into trouble by the every shit tonight downing.

makoun did some decent stuff but the game passed him by, im glad he started and also that he came off when he did, he was looking a little lost in the end. he did some nice things though so showed promise, didnt see ay salmon like leaps from him, more tinned tuna but i guess with confidence in the team he will get better.

first 70 or so minutes everyone acept downing gets an 8

last 15 minutes bent was our best player holding it up to relieve the pressure.

dunne and collins were not bad but were not as good as the other day.

albrighton looked short of pace for the 8 minutes he came on or what ever it was.

GH, well we won so technically he gets a 10

however please **** please do NOT play downing on the right any more, he is NOT any good on the right, if he were he would have played some part of the last 20 years as a player on the right, he hasnt.

and gabby on the left?

in the summer time when the pitch is firm and grassy he can use his pace and have time to turn, in the winter time he has less time to turn and the going is not as firm under foot.

if he plays he needs to be up front with bent or if not i dont think he should start i prefer albrighton on the right.

on the left it again is easy for me, either downing or young and drop the other to the bench

downing has been one of ourt best players up till around 8 games ago when he obviously thought he would try and get the highest percentage of successful passes no matter what, and passes the ball back at every opportunity no matter how good a position we are in when going forward, he would rather pass it back than whip it into the box.

that is very wrong and needs **** sorting.

well done though for the win ( im still pissed off at how downing was SO shit tonight)

Sorry, utter rubbish.

First of all. Great result! But plenty of improvement needed. We certainly need to learn how to keep the ball better. At one stage in the first half wigan had 80% of the possession. I know we were away from home, but we can't always rely on counter attacking football or hooving it up to Bent, as it comes right back within seconds.

Collins and Dunne were solid again. Sloppy goal to concede, but kind of expected them to get a goal to make it a nervy last 10.

Makoun settled in quite nicely, a few neat one touch football. Looks natural. Bent worked hard without great service.

It is just me or IS Downing afraid to put his foot in where it hurts. Constantly ducking out of 50/50 challenges. Winds me right up.

But a good result none the less, and looking in the right direction.

Â