Poll: Toilet roll

mjmooney

Which way should the toilet paper be hung?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which way should the toilet paper be hung?

• Next sheet nearest to the wall
    • Next sheet nearest the sitter

I hate it when the two laminated sheets separate, which then leads to the perforated tears being misaligned and you cant use it.

Hate that too. If that happens I have to dig through the layers to get to a proper fully laminated layer again. The feel of the pull of the sheet when it isn't properly laminated puts my teeth on edge for some reason.

Laminated loo roll?

Sounds messy.

I think he means aligned, or something similar. If he really laminates his toilet paper then that opens a whole world of re-use which may be relevant in some future ecologically perfect world but which is unfamiliar to me.

The answer to the misaligned sheets is really very simple. All that's happened is the two layers have got out of sync, so what you have to do is separate them down the middle (ie between the two sheets, not tearing them both in half), roll the outer one backwards over the toilet roll, and hey presto! They will be perfectly aligned, but with one or two or more offending sheets hanging down with only one layer instead of two.

Simply tear off these unwanted single sheets and either tuck them behind your ear for later use, or chew them into papier mache and attempt to spit them onto the ceiling, or wrap them round your biro in case of leaks, or chuck them on the floor in the belief that you are creating employment rather than pissing off someone who already has a job thank you very much, and you're away.

I hate it when the two laminated sheets separate, which then leads to the perforated tears being misaligned and you cant use it.

Hate that too. If that happens I have to dig through the layers to get to a proper fully laminated layer again. The feel of the pull of the sheet when it isn't properly laminated puts my teeth on edge for some reason.

Laminated loo roll?

Sounds messy.

I think he means aligned, or something similar. If he really laminates his toilet paper then that opens a whole world of re-use which may be relevant in some future ecologically perfect world but which is unfamiliar to me.

The answer to the misaligned sheets is really very simple. All that's happened is the two layers have got out of sync, so what you have to do is separate them down the middle (ie between the two sheets, not tearing them both in half), roll the outer one backwards over the toilet roll, and hey presto! They will be perfectly aligned, but with one or two or more offending sheets hanging down with only one layer instead of two.

Simply tear off these unwanted single sheets and either tuck them behind your ear for later use, or chew them into papier mache and attempt to spit them onto the ceiling, or wrap them round your biro in case of leaks, or chuck them on the floor in the belief that you are creating employment rather than pissing off someone who already has a job thank you very much, and you're away.

:lol:

I'll be printing this off and sticking on my bathroom door.

Nope I definitely mean laminated. To laminate something is to put more than 2 layers of a material together, which is exactly what most loo roll does.

:D

Not at all. Lamination connotes bonded layers. If I blu-tak two sheets of writing paper together, have I laminated them? No.

If I make the bed, and lay the top sheet on the bottom sheet, have I laminated them? **** hope not.

Lamination involves putting two layers together, but it doesn't follow that every instance of putting two layers together is lamination.

PS - I am open to correction by anyone who has more than a seven-year-old's understanding of science. (that's my level by the way).

Laminated loo roll?

Sounds messy.

But if you do, will you thereby have laminated it to the door?

Nope I definitely mean laminated. To laminate something is to put more than 2 layers of a material together, which is exactly what most loo roll does.

Not at all. Lamination connotes bonded layers. If I blu-tak two sheets of writing paper together, have I laminated them? No.

If I make the bed, and lay the top sheet on the bottom sheet, have I laminated them? **** hope not.

Lamination involves putting two layers together, but it doesn't follow that every instance of putting two layers together is lamination.

PS - I am open to correction by anyone who has more than a seven-year-old's understanding of science.

I think lamination means the process of creating a material from 2 layers of material that subsequently acts as one. Which a 2+ ply piece of loo roll matches - the plys form a single sheet and act together unless pulled apart. I don't think theres any connotation of bonding as such, just that the seperate layers have to be connected and working as a single material ;).

Laminated loo roll?

Sounds messy.

But if you do, will you thereby have laminated it to the door?

Well...I was under the impression that lamination is a process that involves sticking 2 layers together to create a new, erm, structure or something. I'm not sure a door and a piece of paper stuck to each other is a new structure, i think it's just a piece of paper stuck on a door.

Conclusion - this is not lamination :)

PS - I am open to correction by anyone who has more than a seven-year-old's understanding of science.

I think lamination means the process of creating a material from 2 layers of material that subsequently acts as one. Which a 2+ ply piece of loo roll matches - the plys form a single sheet and act together unless pulled apart. I don't think theres any connotation of bonding as such, just that the seperate layers have to be connected and working as a single material ;).

It's time for a "Laminating... " poll.

It would never stand up in court.

:detect:

90wqj6.jpg

It's time for a "Laminating... " poll.

He's got a point, we need a poll.

...working as a single material ;).

Isn't the point of departure that the said toilet roll was not working as a single material? I thought that's what the problem was.

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention. It's happened before.

Isn't the point of departure that the said toilet roll was not working as a single material? I thought that's what the problem was.

...if you take a sheet of plywood, and it becomes delaminated for whatever reason, would you say that plywood wasn't a laminate? ;)

Just because some sheets of toilet paper can become delaminated, doesn't mean it isn't a laminate.

...if you take a sheet of plywood, and it becomes delaminated for whatever reason, would you say that plywood wasn't a laminate? ;)

Just because some sheets of toilet paper can become delaminated, doesn't mean it isn't a laminate.

a) plywood is a laminate. That's the whole point about plywood. Individual sheets becoming delaminated don't change that essential fact.

B) toilet paper can't become delaminated, because it's not a laminate to begin with. Plywood is. False comparison.

Laminate:

•create laminate by bonding sheets of material with a bonding material

•press or beat (metals) into thin sheets

•cover with a thin sheet of non-fabric material; "laminate the table"

•a sheet of material made by bonding two or more sheets or layers

Draw your own conclusions.

Edit - Sod it, I'll just say I'm wrong as I seriously cannot be arsed to debate that anymore :D

No, don't say you're wrong. That would spoil it, as several serial killers once remarked.

But you defined lamination as

"I don't think theres any connotation of bonding as such, just that the seperate layers have to be connected and working as a single material ..."

Do you renounce that? Or shall I have my colleague Monsignor Torquemada press the question?

I can't say I do renounce it no, I just am deeply aware we're debating the structural definition of loo roll.

But I don't renounce it, as the definition of bonding itself doesn't actually suggest any particular type of adherence, or any particular strength of connection between 2 materials beyong them being held together, I'd stand by the fact that 2+ ply loo roll is a laminate as it's individual plies are intended to act together as a sole material and do so, by being (however loosely) connected together by the manufacturing process and the nature of the mateiral itself.

It's not a good laminate, nor would it be the perfect thing to use as a definition of a laminate, but it is one imo.

Â