Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

What conspiracy? He wasn't good enough for us and now seems to not be good enough for his new team.

Just not the player the houllier fans claimed he was when he first signed.

How can you say he wasn't good enough when he didn't really get a chance? I was of the opinion that the jury was still out on him.

And since when does the managerial preferences of posters on here correlate with what they thought about Makoun? Makoun is a player and Houllier is/was a manager FFS. You don't have to be a "fan" of one to be a fan of the other.

Maybe he wasn't given the chance because he wasn't good enough (in training)?

All we know is he was bought for a sizeable fee and then barely played. He looked a bit lightweight to me, skilful enough but not fast or strong enough to cope with Premier League football.

Now the pattern seems to be repeating itself at Olympiakos.

All we know is he was bought for a sizeable fee and then barely played. He looked a bit lightweight to me, skilful enough but not fast or strong enough to cope with Premier League football.

That's all speculation. Unless a player has at least a fair run of games you can't really say they did or didn't do well.

That's all speculation. Unless a player has at least a fair run of games you can't really say they did or didn't do well.

Well there must be some reason why both Houllier and McLeish didn't fancy him.

I agree with Briny the guy just simply wasn't up to the pace or the physical nature of Premiership football. Could he have adapted? possibly but I guess he wasn't showing enough in pre season games and in training and it seems McCleish felt it was better to free up his wages to use on someone who had proven themselves in the Premier League. Just a pity that Jenas quickly got injured.

I was hoping against Hereford he would grab the chance and really stand out especially given the opposition. As it turned out he was poor and I guess that was the final straw.

I agree with Briny the guy just simply wasn't up to the pace or the physical nature of Premiership football. Could he have adapted? possibly but I guess he wasn't showing enough in pre season games and in training and it seems McCleish felt it was better to free up his wages to use on someone who had proven themselves in the Premier League. Just a pity that Jenas quickly got injured.

As I said, it's all speculation. People are being way too harsh on him.

As I said, it's all speculation. People are being way too harsh on him.

Well there's something wrong somewhere with him as he can't seem to make any team at the moment? I don't think people have been harsh as we can only judge him on his recent performances, which have hardly been dominant?

He wasn't getting in the Lyon team on a regular basis when we brought him - some suggested he was 'saved' for the big CL matches. to be honest the writting was always on the wall for him, when Lyon asked for £10m - then quickly settled for £5m (yeah like wadda they know)- he had a great game at Manu - but that was it really. -

My opinion on Makoun is this. He's a five-a-side player who is not cut out for Premiership football. He was given a chance last seaosn and was mostly crap and anonymous in his brief appearances even whilst playing under Houllier's brand of "total football". He was subsequently dropped.

McLeish gave him a second chance and he looked way out of his depth even against Hereford. And guess what? He is now struggling to get into a greek team.

Waste of money. He'll go down in history with Mathieu Berson as another flop. I predict we will get less than half back of what Villa paid for him.

He wasn't getting in the Lyon team on a regular basis when we brought him

1. I don't think that's true. It's no reflection on his time here, I'm not commenting on whether he was/is good or bad for us.

But Lyon were stuttering with Makoun out of the team, he was then brought in regularly and Lyon's revival was, in part, put down to Makoun getting into the team.

I'm not 100% on that, but pretty sure I've read that. I don't follow the French League much myself. I'll happily stand corrected

2. "bought"

He wasn't getting in the Lyon team on a regular basis when we brought him

1. I don't think that's true. It's no reflection on his time here, I'm not commenting on whether he was/is good or bad for us.

But Lyon were stuttering with Makoun out of the team, he was then brought in regularly and Lyon's revival was, in part, put down to Makoun getting into the team.

I'm not 100% on that, but pretty sure I've read that. I don't follow the French League much myself. I'll happily stand corrected

2. "bought"

Was it not that other players were injured that he made his return and was then sold because they came back from injuries?

Watching Borja Valero tonight is similar to Makoun. A very good passer with a sharp brian not suited to English football kick and rush approach

Since when did English teams play with goalkeepers who also doubled up as outfield players when their team was attacking due to an imbalance in the number of players on each team?

Â