Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

To be fair our first goal came from good wing play by Gabby and Bent. Our second goal was too easy and we wont get that space against most teams in the league. The third goal was pretty lucky and great finishing from Bent. Nothing I have seen so far suggest to me that we have been playing brilliant football. It's very much MON style play. However BIg Eck does seem to have a plan B. We saw this when Bannan came on. This is the plan that I am most excited by as I think players like Bannan, Makoun and Ireland would never have had a chance under MON. I hope Eck gives them a go.

I agree with everything you said there, but would Bannen have come on if it was 1-1 in the Blackburn game?

Also if you look at the commentry:

66 That's Heskey's last contribution as McLeish makes his last change, all three I think have been forced upon him by injuries. Bannan is his replacement.

Having substitutions forced on him by injury doesnt equate to Plan B in my mind.

I was at the Hereford game thinking Makoun was a bit out of sorts. He seemed a bit like he was trying too hard if anything. First touch was a bit wayward and put him into trouble a fair bit. He didn't like having 2 or 3 players in his face as soon as he had the ball.

But then I also remember a magnificent tackle he put in on one of their players, it was simply stunning. Then he goes in 2 footed again and was lucky not to get booked. In the PL it was probably a sending off in all honesty.

But he did spread it around nicely. And the highlights certainly do show how nice some of his balls were.

I almost thought at one stage he was unwell or something.

Wow, some of the opinions in here are scary.

Be it writing off Makoun after 7 games or saying he is not a Premier League type of player. The fact that we aren't basing our team around a player like Makoun is why we have been unable to break down rubbish teams at home consistently. Flair players or midfielders who are able to pick a pass are as rare around VP as a fan who doesn't moan.

Not writing him off as such. Just wondering what he offers to the team other than a quick short five yard pass that our other midfielders (Petrov, Delph, Ireland, Bannan) can all complete.

All of these other players mentioned have other attributes that Makoun has not shown as of yet which has worried me about him.

I think it is different as he doesn't touch then pass, he just passes and this is a distinct difference.

The reason being is that split second is the difference between the defender being set to defend or still awkwardly standing or not correctly standing, allowing Bent to get in and that 1 yard ahead. I think that's Makoun gives us or his ability can give us eventually that our other midfielders can't.

Wow, some of the opinions in here are scary.

Be it writing off Makoun after 7 games or saying he is not a Premier League type of player. The fact that we aren't basing our team around a player like Makoun is why we have been unable to break down rubbish teams at home consistently. Flair players or midfielders who are able to pick a pass are as rare around VP as a fan who doesn't moan.

Not writing him off as such. Just wondering what he offers to the team other than a quick short five yard pass that our other midfielders (Petrov, Delph, Ireland, Bannan) can all complete.

All of these other players mentioned have other attributes that Makoun has not shown as of yet which has worried me about him.

I think it is different as he doesn't touch then pass, he just passes and this is a distinct difference.

The reason being is that split second is the difference between the defender being set to defend or still awkwardly standing or not correctly standing, allowing Bent to get in and that 1 yard ahead. I think that's Makoun gives us or his ability can give us eventually that our other midfielders can't.

The problem with this argument is that Makoun rarely looks to make that kind of killer pass - he is more adept at moving the ball sideways or nudging into the feet of more advanced midfield players. I can't think of any defence-splitting passes he's made since he arrived, with the exception of putting Young through against Wolves at VP in March when he went on to hit the bar.

It seems to me that the same people who don't rate Petrov, don't rate Makoun.

Personally, I don't think that they understand how important players like these two are for a team and what they offer.

Personally I think that is a sweeping generalisation that probably isn't accurate.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm almost never crticial of Petrov and value his contribution to the club and the team. Yet I remain unconvinced about Makoun.

Personally, I don't think that they understand how important players like these two are for a team and what they offer.

Personally I think that is a sweeping generalisation that probably isn't accurate.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm almost never crticial of Petrov and value his contribution to the club and the team. Yet I remain unconvinced about Makoun.

Throw me in the same boat as Trent. Petrov for me as things stand is one of the first names on the team sheet but Makoun as yet to do anything like convince me he is suited to this league.

Throw me in the same boat as Trent. Petrov for me as things stand is one of the first names on the team sheet but Makoun as yet to do anything like convince me he is suited to this league.

Add me to this - until we sign a player like Scott Parker, Petrov has to start. He guides players like Delph, Makoun and Bannan through games and though he can frustrate me a lot of the time, he remains very important. I wouldn't regard him as a Captian Marvel type but he exhibits the closest thing we have to leadership too - another reason why he has to continue starting games.

Add me to this - until we sign a player like Scott Parker, Petrov has to start. He guides players like Delph, Makoun and Bannan through games and though he can frustrate me a lot of the time, he remains very important. I wouldn't regard him as a Captian Marvel type but he exhibits the closest thing we have to leadership too - another reason why he has to continue starting games.

If there's still room in the boat, save a cabin for me as well!

Your more than welcome Briny. Wishful thinking on the cabin though mate. That level of accommodation is no longer affordable the Captain also be had to let go due to his wages and we are now down to a dingy and two oars. :winkold:

Your more than welcome Briny. Wishful thinking on the cabin though mate. That level of accommodation is no longer affordable the Captain also be had to let go due to his wages and we are now down to a dingy and two oars. :winkold:

:lol:

I'm sorry to inform passengers on this afternoon's cruise down the Trent but due to cut backs and the need to reduce wages, the oars have had to be sold. I'm pleased to announce though that under each of your seats are spoons with which you can paddle or ship water out with if we start to sink.

Makoun always looked comfortable in high-pressure situations ie: being surrounded by 2 or 3 players when receiving the ball. He always knew what to do with the ball in those situations. His performance against Hereford according to most sounds very perplexing.

I'm sorry to inform passengers on this afternoon's cruise down the Trent but due to cut backs and the need to reduce wages, the oars have had to be sold. I'm pleased to announce though that under each of your seats are spoons with which you can paddle or ship water out with if we start to sink.
I am in this boat as well by the way Makoun not done anything to suggest I should be rating him

Just like to correct you though if we do not have paddles anymore then this is not the trent, it is Shit Creek.

Unconvinced is sitting on the fence, not making up your mind yet - not the same as actively not rating him.

Well I don't rate him so far put it that way although I'm open minded enough to be willing to change my mind but I doubt I will do.

Unconvinced is sitting on the fence, not making up your mind yet - not the same as actively not rating him.

Well I don't rate him so far put it that way although I'm open minded enough to be willing to change my mind but I doubt I will do.

So are you waiting to make a decision on him or do you not rate him?

Just to be awkward, I dont rate Petrov, but rate Makoun!! :lol:

Â