Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Superb news, a player who seems committed to the club. If we're gonna get rid of a high earner, get rid of Ireland. Bannan can fill his role when needed and potentially Gardner. Hope he starts mid week, be disapointed if he doesn't. Quick thinking player, can release a pass fast, iron out some of the mistakes and he'll be a good player for us. He fitted in well during the games preseason, so don't see why he can't fit into Eck's system.

Him and N'Zogbia could crack up a fantastic on field relationship I recon.

Is Eck trying to get rid of the foreign players who want to play for our club, first Cuellar, now Makoun. Seemingly non disruptive, positive attitude players.

Makoun!

VillaRoy, had JM said he's staying somewhere? Your post and one from KSV seems to suggest so.

Delighted if he stays and think he'll play tomorrow night.

Yeah dude

"I want to start games, the new manager has come in and I need to impress him.

"I want to fight and prove myself in the best league in the world - I love English football."

Cheers buddy, and good on ya Makoun! Bit of fighting spirit and competition is fantastic. It's only 2 games in so I'm sure he'll get his chance to impress

A player saying he wants to stay and actually staying are entirely different things. Although it wouldn't surprise me if we've got another highly paid liability on our hands who we can't shift.

A player saying he wants to stay and actually staying are entirely different things. Although it wouldn't surprise me if we've got another highly paid liability on our hands who we can't shift.

True, we've had Petrov for 5 seasons doing exactly that. Earning big wages, adding little to the team and no **** even sniffing around him

Depressing,

we should play with Makoun, Ireland, Bannan and Albrighton in midfield

What about N"Zogbia? That midfield would get raped to be fair.

keep him on bench that midfield should be enough to beat Hereford in fairness

i think petrov is better than Jean 11 but he wont be able to play every game if were looking to go far in doemstic cups so he should defo be kept for when petrov is tired/out of form. petrov sometimes can do with beeing subbed at 70 mins on most games as well, makoun being the ideal replacement as hes an athletic player, gets around the pitch a lot!

True, we've had Petrov for 5 seasons doing exactly that. Earning big wages, adding little to the team and no **** even sniffing around him

Depressing,

Although a pretty harsh statement IMO, it is interesting that we've had every other player from our midfield poached and not so much as a strong rumour concerning Petrov from a top club.

Don't holding players need to be able to tackle????

Not really, I see defensive and holding midfielders as totally differant animals.

We currently play Petrov and Delph as holding midfielders. They sit deep and allow that attacking beast that is the Heskey, Agbonlahor and NZogbia to maraude.

A defensive midfielder sits in front of the back four and bites attackers ankles (not literally of course) and therefore needs to be a tackler. Like Diarra, Essien, Mascherano and Makelele. They are there to spoil attacks and move the ball to those who pull the strings.

Not really, I see defensive and holding midfielders as totally differant animals.

We currently play Petrov and Delph as holding midfielders. They sit deep and allow that attacking beast that is the Heskey, Agbonlahor and NZogbia to maraude.

A defensive midfielder sits in front of the back four and bites attackers ankles (not literally of course) and therefore needs to be a tackler. Like Diarra, Essien, Mascherano and Makelele. They are there to spoil attacks and move the ball to those who pull the strings.

Agreed, Modric plays the role we want Makoun too for Spurs, and I'd class him as a holding midfielder/deep lying playmaker (although there are different interpretations of what a holding midfielder is). There are loads of players around Europe who play this role, but usually they play next to a more defensive player. For instance Modric played with Sandro, and Sandro was the player relied on to do the defensive role.

The problem is we don't have a player who can do that defensive role well enough, which is why I think Makoun may be out the side :(

EDIT: There's Carrick for Man Utd too.

I know what a defensive midfielder is and who has played the role thanks.

As far as I'm concerned those players could all tackle and being able to do so is while not the only requirement, is a requirement of playing as a defensive midfielder.

I know what a defensive midfielder is and who has played the role thanks.

As far as I'm concerned those players could all tackle and being able to do so is while not the only requirement, is a requirement of playing as a defensive midfielder.

Well apologies for answering your question, I can only presume given your previous knowledge it was rhetorical!

You did ask the question about a holding midfielder though, not a defensive.

There are different interpretations as to what a holding midfielder is, as players like Makoun play deep and hold that position but aren't actually required to do defensive work.

Like my past post, I refer to Modric. He sits deep, dictating play, and although he is capable of putting in a tackle like Makoun he is a little too lightweight to be relied upon to do so. Therefore he is played alongside Sandro, a player who is an excellent defensive player but isn't the best going forward. The important thing is they strike the right balance between one another.

Carrick is another player who sits deep and dictates play, I'd say Carrick is a player who is better in the tackle and usually doesn't play alongside a defensive minded midfielder. The difference here is that Man Utd have two fantastic central defenders who they can rely upon.

Then there are others across Europe such as Pirlo and Aquilani for Liverpool.

He was also right about Petrov being one, but the difference between Petrov and Makoun is that Petrov is a far better tackler, but is slower on the ball. Our best season of recent times was where the right balance was struck between Petrov the deep lying player and Milner the box to box midfielder who made up for Petrovs lack of energy.

People saying Makoun can't make it in this league because he can't tackle are completely wrong, he either needs to the right partner alongside him to strike the balance, or he will find himself on the bench or leave the club.

When did 'anchor' drop out of the fooballing vernacular? I always thought that was quite a good description for someone who sits in front of the defence. Granted, it might have slightly unfortunate rhyming slang possibilities.

There are different interpretations as to what a holding midfielder is, as players like Makoun play deep and hold that position but aren't actually required to do defensive work.

Like my past post, I refer to Modric. He sits deep, dictating play, and although he is capable of putting in a tackle like Makoun he is a little too lightweight to be relied upon to do so. Therefore he is played alongside Sandro, a player who is an excellent defensive player but isn't the best going forward. The important thing is they strike the right balance between one another.

Carrick is another player who sits deep and dictates play, I'd say Carrick is a player who is better in the tackle and usually doesn't play alongside a defensive minded midfielder. The difference here is that Man Utd have two fantastic central defenders who they can rely upon.

He was also right about Petrov being one, but the difference between Petrov and Makoun is that Petrov is a far better tackler, but is slower on the ball. Our best season of recent times was where the right balance was struck between Petrov the deep lying player and Milner the box to box midfielder who made up for Petrovs lack of energy.

People saying Makoun can't make it in this league because he can't tackle are completely wrong, he either needs to the right partner alongside him to strike the balance, or he will find himself on the bench or leave the club.

This.

The problem with Makoun is in terms of being the team is that he's in between defensive and attacking minded. Obviously refer to Modric but Modric also carries the ball forward, can create goals, go past players etc...with Makoun, he'll sit in there and when you have Petrov also. Then you have neither CM capable of really capable of carrying it forward or getting around the pitch. I think Delph is in there to make up for what Petrov lacks while Petrov's experience and qualities make up for Delph's youth. I still think Makoun is a very good player but is a bit luxury (especially in a team that doesn't keep the ball very well). I hope we draw a Premiership team in the next league Cup game and I'd like to see Makoun alongside say Delph just to see how it would work.

I still think he can be good for us.

I would say Xabi Alonso is another. Makoun is a modern footballer who requires a 3 man midfield to get the best from.

I would say Xabi Alonso is another. Makoun is a modern footballer who requires a 3 man midfield to get the best from.

Agreed, Benitez had the perfect balance. Mascherano sat back alongside Alonso and broke things up, Alonso then had the freedom to control the play and then there was Gerrard roaming around in front of them. I guess that is what Dalglish is trying to do now having Lucas do the defensive work, then Adam alongside him to dictate the play, spraying passes.

I think Makoun could work in a two man midfield, but not alongside Petrov, they just don't strike the right balance. It has to be one and the other plus Delph I think, or all three together. Maybe if Gardner progresses as we hope he could have the energy and physicality to work alongside him too.

Â