Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Makoun is a player who probably won't get noticed as easily as players like Charlie Adam, N'Zogbia or Delph etc. because Makoun doesn't do fancy "hollywood"-passes, run from box-to-box, or dribble as N'Zogbia, but he has real talent and vision for distributing passes with one or two touches.

Makoun is a player who probably won't get noticed as easily as players like Charlie Adam, N'Zogbia or Delph etc. because Makoun doesn't do fancy "hollywood"-passes, run from box-to-box, or dribble as N'Zogbia, but he has real talent and vision for distributing passes with one or two touches.

The challenge for us is finding midfield partners that can take advantage of this. Stan certainly doesn't move to receive return balls of the type Makoun plays and if Heskey is nominally the attacking CM'er/link striker this feature of Makoun's game is somewhat wasted? A bit like when Angel first arrived, he may be too good in the passing area for us at this stage.

From the SSN article sounds like he has a great attitude, few and far between in the world of football today. But yes, he's played a handful of games for us, looked better in pre-season but when has that ever gotten in the way of a good 'slate the Villa player who isn't your cup of tea'.

He was very good against United, and I think he had some moments in one of the games after that. Can't remember which game but he was behind one of our winning goals, IIRC. Anyway, as said he would probably not be that missed but we need a replacement.

Having said that I like that from a player when he comes out and fight for his place in the team. Instead of sulking he tries to get better. But quite often that's what they say before they're sold by the club. But given time and if he can adapt to the british game I think he could be usefull for us. A type of player we don't really have but could use. If AML finds a place for him.

This is what People thought of Makoun against Man utd!

Makoun 9

Everyone else 5

Makoun man of the match, looked a different class.

Makoun=amazing

Makoun was superb, better than any centre mid United had

Makoun was sensational. Never wasted a pass, always kept the ball, looked forwards when he could and his movement off the ball was a thing that every other team seems to have but we never do. Until now!

And to finish it off

Possibly the most one sided MOTM vote ever!

The challenge for us is finding midfield partners that can take advantage of this. Stan certainly doesn't move to receive return balls of the type Makoun plays and if Heskey is nominally the attacking CM'er/link striker this feature of Makoun's game is somewhat wasted? A bit like when Angel first arrived, he may be too good in the passing area for us at this stage.

I earlier wrote post that we should play Makoun+Delph+Ireland or Bannan, that combination would probably work very well together.

. He hasn't played in a competitive game for us since early April and besides his performance against Man Utd back in February which was very good his other performances for us have ranged from average to very poor.

He was superb against Braga.. many people said so on the forum.

Ah that well known PL side Braga..... :D

Nobody is saying he isn't able to play football, people are saying he isn't suited to the PL. Saying he was good against Braga hardly counters that. I'm afraid that non competitive games are also rather meaningless and the post you responded to quite clear said 'competitive game'.

I reckon i've seen more football nous from Makoun in just two games (Man Utd away and Fulham at home - MOTM in both) then I have from Petrov in FIVE seasons.

If you asked me now to pick out one standout game from Stan it'd still be his debut away at West Ham.

The important factor here is what Mcleish thinks of him, and whether he stays or goes it is ultimately Mcleish's decision. In either case I guess we'll find out come Sept 1st.

Personally I hope he stays, but if he does eventually leave, he HAS to be replaced.

I reckon i've seen more football nous from Makoun in just two games (Man Utd away and Fulham at home - MOTM in both) then I have from Petrov in FIVE seasons.

If you asked me now to pick out one standout game from Stan it'd still be his debut away at West Ham.

Most people seem to forget about Stan. You mention his brilliant debut, and just like Makoun he took a while to settle in. Now for the past few years he's been a regular starter for the club no matter what opinions people have on him. Hopefully Makoun will do the same and prove people wrong who are writing him off after about 500 minutes of football.

I hope he rejects any move. We need another DM ON TOP OF what we already have. Delph has only played a handful of games and could get injured again. Petrov, as is well documented, tires in games. Then we have Bannan and Ireland who are more attacking mids. That leaves us very short. If we got rid of Makoun then we would need to replace him and still get another DM in.

Makoun seems to me like he should be playing for Barca or another continental possession type team. In the games he's had the only bad things he's done are:

1. Let players go who have taken the ball around him.

2. Played people into trouble with passes.

The first one, it's a very European thing to do where it's more tactical and deliberate. You'll not waste energy chasing someone who then goes into someone else's zone. It's only really a British football thing where you'll chase someone back. He then keeps his position while the defence should sort out the runner.

The second, it's because the accepted way of playing passes in good quality CL level sides is to play someone into trouble but be ready to receive the ball straight back off them. Watch Iniesta and Xavi, they do it all the time. Top European players are so comfortable in possession that they're happy to receive the ball under pressure as they always have a way out. It's the best way to pass around a team and draw players out of position. Get Bannan and Gardner in there with Makoun and they'd be able to cut defences apart like that.

The problem is any manager wants players that fit his system, play his way, will fit with those players around him.

We've gone from one type of manager in O'Neill to another extreme in Houllier and then back the other way with McLeish and Makoun arrived in the middle of it.

He clearly has ability but not only is it a question of it he can apply that in the PL it is a question of if he fits with the players around him and the style of the manager. At this moment in time it would appear that he doesn't and it would appear that even if he wanted to McLeish hasn't the money available to change the team or the players to be more suited to playing with Makoun.

It might be in another side he would excel but it seems to me that he is a bad fit with the manager and a bad fit with our team.

. He hasn't played in a competitive game for us since early April and besides his performance against Man Utd back in February which was very good his other performances for us have ranged from average to very poor.

He was superb against Braga.. many people said so on the forum.

Braga that wasn't a competative game was it. Its all very well looking good in pre season in a non competative game against a second rate team its stepping up to the plate in the cut and thrust of the Premiership that he has more often than not struggled with so far.

I hope if he stays he does come good.

The sort of comment I expected.. Braga was no different to Blackburn, infact i'd argue Braga was more competitive.

The second, it's because the accepted way of playing passes in good quality CL level sides is to play someone into trouble but be ready to receive the ball straight back off them. Watch Iniesta and Xavi, they do it all the time. Top European players are so comfortable in possession that they're happy to receive the ball under pressure as they always have a way out. It's the best way to pass around a team and draw players out of position. Get Bannan and Gardner in there with Makoun and they'd be able to cut defences apart like that.

Silva does it too for Man City

The problem is any manager wants players that fit his system, play his way, will fit with those players around him.

I agree with this.. I also find it funny we went to looking at the likes of Martinez then went to Mcleish.. both completely different.

Bannan can do anything that Makoun can, and not only do it a better, but has a lot more to his game as well, including the ability to pass the ball more than 4 yards. If Makoun ever plays a ball like Bannan did to Albrighton away at Fulham, I'll eat my hat.

I agree with this.. I also find it funny we went to looking at the likes of Martinez then went to Mcleish.. both completely different.

The chairman doesn't have a 'system' though. He just goes for what he thinks is a good manager. If Martinez had come in, you'd probably find that Makoun would feature in the side as his passing ability would be more in tune with what Martinez does at Wigan. So going from chalk to cheese in your choice of manager just means the squad would be utilised differently.

Â