Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

People like Makoun. The jumper was a good start. Now he's in a
with his Villa jersey on.

Perhaps similar exercises could be undertaken to win fan support for a number of our more marmite players? "Uncle Petrov's Patatnik", or something similar.

People want to like their own players
It often didn't feel like that last season amongst the continual slagging off of A. Young, Gabby, Petrov, etc.

And if you glance over at the Petrov thread now, I think you will find no little refutation of your general principle.

However, people are bigging up Makoun beyond anything his performance to date can possibly justify and that is because Villa fans want to like their players.

I think I've got it now.

Good post Briny. Its seems some waffle on about supporters wanting to like their own players being all very well but forget all about that when they are slagging off a player they don't actually like.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with another supporter thinking such and such a player is the bees knees but by the same token someone should then not find it strange or have a beef with an opposing view on the same player. The games all about opinions and we are all entitled to them.

with his Villa jersey on.

Perhaps similar exercises could be undertaken to win fan support for a number of our more marmite players?

Maybe, but Makoun's more chocolate cake than marmite. Only a strange, select few don't like chocolate cake. :P

I'm torn between enjoying the jocularity of your post, and raising one eyebrow at the ever-so-slight hint of unintentional racism. :)

Hey, you started with the marmite, pal 8)

(Anyway, you're totally out of order :) And I wouldn't be offended to be compared with things of a pasty complexion, so I'm sure J2M wouldn't mind this. I certainly hope not, anyway, he is my new favouritest football player)

I predict briny's (almost) one man campaign to play down Makoun's ability will end in an acknowledgement that he underestimated the player.
Well, I'm clearly NOT conducting the first bit of that. I'm just pointing out it would probably make sense to see how someone plays in a few matches before commenting on his ability one way or the other.

And I hope you're right about the second bit because otherwise, as I've already said, if he doesn't turn out to be good, we've wasted a precious £5m.

[Anyway, just out of interest, are you posting from Australia? By my calculation it's anything between 2am and 4am there. Surely even Makoun's potential isn't exciting enough to keep you awake at such a late/early hour?]

we've wasted a precious £5m.

Was it £5m? I remember Houllier saying it was 4 or 5 million euros.

Transfmarkt who are usually very reliable with their figures say Makoun cost:

£5.46m.

Although compare that to Sidwell...

Makoun is a great player. 5m was a BARGAIN.

I think regardless of what he does here. If he was to leave we'd get a good sell on value due to his reputation abroad. After all he's international players with lots of big game experience. So yeah £5m was a very good price.

Especially when you compare it to others in the same season such as:

Boselli for £6m.

Squillaci for £5.7m.

Steven Fletcher for £6m.

Zigic for £6m.

and many more.

I predict briny's (almost) one man campaign to play down Makoun's ability will end in an acknowledgement that he underestimated the player.
Well, I'm clearly NOT conducting the first bit of that. I'm just pointing out it would probably make sense to see how someone plays in a few matches before commenting on his ability one way or the other.

And I hope you're right about the second bit because otherwise, as I've already said, if he doesn't turn out to be good, we've wasted a precious £5m.

[Anyway, just out of interest, are you posting from Australia? By my calculation it's anything between 2am and 4am there. Surely even Makoun's potential isn't exciting enough to keep you awake at such a late/early hour?]

Hope I'm right about the second bit too, but I do think we've seen more good stuff from J2M than you give credit for.

[And no, I'm "abroad" at the moment :)]

If there ever was a player in need of some time to establish himself, it was this guy.

Playing in the French league, moving in the middle of the winter, moving to Birmingham (which is not exactly the capital of the world) to a place where very few people speak French, to a team in turmoil, manager getting the sack etc etc.

I think I have seen lots of positive signs already, so lets see what happens. I have faith in him becoming a very good player for Villa, before going to a better team in one or two years... because as well all know, it is easier to quit Villa than the membership at the gym.

with his Villa jersey on. His debut against United didn't hurt. People want to like their own players (as shameful and laughable as that clearly is on here). He has more to prove to everyone before he will live up to some of the hype but he has shown in flashes what he can do and because he is liked he will be given every chance to do so. A full pre-season with some much needed acclimatisation will hopefully stand him in good stead. But as confusing as it is to you that he is so liked, it is equally confusing to me that you wish to deride the player in an attempt to somehow prove to everyone else that our player isn't that good. Whatever floats your Villa-supporting boat though I suppose.

Fair enough but it's hardly Salifou levels is it, when an unused squad player had his own chant from the Holte.

Anyway, I think Makoun will come good this season. He showed glimpses of quality in games last season and I think he's one of these players that needed 6 months to settle into the English game.

Fair enough but it's hardly Salifou levels is it, when an unused squad player had his own chant from the Holte.

So now he's criticised for not being cult enough ? :P :P

Anyway, I think Makoun will come good this season. He showed glimpses of quality in games last season and I think he's one of these players that needed 6 months to settle into the English game.

Agreed.

At present, Makoun's footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his advocates. .

I havent seen all that much of him, but I must say that against Braga he made two passes that probably only Gareth Barry in a recent vintage villa shirt could have even imagined, let alone completed.

At present, Makoun's footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his advocates. .

I havent seen all that much of him, but I must say that against Braga he made two passes that probably only Gareth Barry in a recent vintage villa shirt could have even imagined, let alone completed.

True that. Looks like his lack of footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his detractors, too.

Looks like his lack of footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his detractors, too.

Gotta say, i cant really see why people dont like him. A couple of rash tackles but id put that down to enthusiasm more than anything else. He just wanted to make an instant impact here and got a bit carried away. But other than that i think hes been quality. A real breath of fresh air for us in the middle. And of course that game against Man U away was just an awesome display.

Like i say....cant see why some people dont like/rate him. I cant help but notice that these people are the same people who think the sun shines out of Stan Petrovs arse. Maybe just a coincidence

Â