Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

He was dropped from a team that was poor and facing relegation. There's really not much to base his hero status on yet unless you just go by the man u game, a couple of Pre season friendly games, his nice jumper he wore when he signed and how uncomfortable he looked sitting in the back of a rap video.

At present, Makoun's footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his advocates. He has done very little with Villa to support any sort of conclusive analysis of his abilities: much of what he has done is actually negative (the bookings and sending off; Houllier's decision to drop him for the tough relegation struggle).

That isn't to say he won't be good. I sincerely hope he will be, or we will have wasted £5m we seemingly can ill afford.

It's just that he hasn't actually done anything yet to justify the status he is now being afforded and we have to wait to see how he will actually turn out in the real world.

Speak for all of us.

We are allowed an opinion and it doesn't mean we're wrong because we disagree with you, nor does it mean it exists in our 'imagination'.

Umm... I guess the logic is that I'm allowed an opinion too? I've just told you my opinion. :wink:

You might try to address some of the substantive points I've made rather than coming up with the tired old slogans about opinions etc.

Well obviously he hasnt had enough games to justify what he can do yet. However, most people who understand how football works.. can see how he keeps the side moving and makes himself available everytime to receive the ball.. which tends to restrict our defenders from hitting it long.

He keeps the side ticking. He will have a great season.

, most people who understand how football works..
Oh, well that makes me truly humble. I'm obvioulsly not one of them, since I can't really understand how a footballer can be good if he
hasnt had enough games to justify what he can do yet

I suspect those people who "understand how football really works" were also the ones who told us how great Houllier was going to be.

EDIT

BTW, I do love the rap video.

At present, Makoun's footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his advocates. He has done very little with Villa to support any sort of conclusive analysis of his abilities: much of what he has done is actually negative (the bookings and sending off; Houllier's decision to drop him for the tough relegation struggle).

That isn't to say he won't be good. I sincerely hope he will be, or we will have wasted £5m we seemingly can ill afford.

It's just that he hasn't actually done anything yet to justify the status he is now being afforded and we have to wait to see how he will actually turn out in the real world.

Speak for all of us.

We are allowed an opinion and it doesn't mean we're wrong because we disagree with you, nor does it mean it exists in our 'imagination'.

Umm... I guess the logic is that I'm allowed an opinion too? I've just told you my opinion. :wink:

You might try to address some of the substantive points I've made rather than coming up with the tired old slogans about opinions etc.

lol

How am I?

You are allowed an opinion, I am allowed an opinion. But I'm sick and tired of people using presumptions as a base of your argument as to why people may disagree with you.

Just because you have seen something you don't like about Makoun doesn't mean we can't see it differently. I have seen many qualities Makoun has, which excite me about him as a player. Both at this club and before he joined us. He has had some good games and he's had bad ones where he has been bullied out of the game.

Taking everything into consideration, I believe he hasn't done too badly. He has come to a club with few French speakers, and a club who had big on and off the field issues at the time. This is no easy situation to come into. Meanwhile as the Premier League came to a close, his family was involved in a car crash in Cameroon and he had to return home. Another reason he might find it hard to settle is because his family wasn't with him in the first place. This left him as a guy who couldn't speak English on his own in Birmingham. I don't know about you but I'd find it to be quite a difficult situation to deal with. Now the new season is ahead I will judge him properly and so far in pre-season he has put in some impressive performances, albeit in effectively training sessions. But I do think he will come good for us.

On the other hand you said "Makoun's footballing abilities exist largely in the imagination of his advocates.". Which is purely a presumption as you don't agree with us.

Well there you have my opinion on Makoun, and your presumption was wrong.

Speak for all of us.

I havn't seen anything yet either.....I usually go by what I see, not what I forsee.

One of the main attributes I look for in a centre midfielder is the ability to contribute towards controlling the game.....havn't seen that for some time in many of our players.

I'm still waiting for one to come along.

I don't think him and Petrov can play in a 2 man midfield together, I believe with both of them, it's better to play 3 in the middle. Either Makoun should be moved forward to play within similar lines as Stephen Ireland and allow Petrov to hold or Makoun should be used as the main defensive midfielder and then either Delph or Bannan to play further forward in the midfield or Gardner may even shock people and show he's ready.

Currently, Makoun and Petrov on the same line, it doesn't work at all for when we are in possession and it's ineffective and also a reason Ireland has struggled and will continue to do so unless we are more expansive in our attacking play, opening up the pitch and allowing 2 midfielders to push forward and look to pick up dangerous areas, suddenly it poses more problems.

It needs to be

------------DM----------

------CM-------CM------

not

-------DM-----DM-------

----------CM-------------

it just doesn't work with the ball.

Totally agree. Excellent post.

A few tidy passes here and there and the lad is a world beater. Ive seen nothing of him to convince me he is any better than Bannan/Delph etc.

The only way to judge this guy is on the performances to date. Specualting or using a superior football knowledge to predict how a player may play in the future is bollocks and the ramblings of deluded intellectual lightweights.

So what has he done so far? He's had some poor performances, he's had some glimpses of quality, he's made some poor decisions and for me the jury is really out and he needs to start performing sooner rather than later. He has no excuses now, he is a high profile player and we need to see evidence on the pitch and consistantly week in week out from 3:00pm on Saturday!

Totally agree. Excellent post.

A few tidy passes here and there and the lad is a world beater. Ive seen nothing of him to convince me he is any better than Bannan/Delph etc.

A few? Hes always on the ball.. he may be neat and tidy.. but Delph and Bannan cannot perform to his level yet. Bannan maybe.. but Delph is no way near as neat and tidy.. last pre season game.. Delph kept losing the ball.. so he could not do even the neat and tidy.. so yes he is better.

People like Makoun. The jumper was a good start. Now he's in a

with his Villa jersey on. His debut against United didn't hurt. People want to like their own players (as shameful and laughable as that clearly is on here). He has more to prove to everyone before he will live up to some of the hype but he has shown in flashes what he can do and because he is liked he will be given every chance to do so. A full pre-season with some much needed acclimatisation will hopefully stand him in good stead. But as confusing as it is to you that he is so liked, it is equally confusing to me that you wish to deride the player in an attempt to somehow prove to everyone else that our player isn't that good. Whatever floats your Villa-supporting boat though I suppose.

People like Makoun. The jumper was a good start. Now he's in a music video with his Villa jersey on. His debut against United didn't hurt. People want to like their own players (as shameful and laughable as that clearly is on here). He has more to prove to everyone before he will live up to some of the hype but he has shown in flashes what he can do and because he is liked he will be given every chance to do so. A full pre-season with some much needed acclimatisation will hopefully stand him in good stead. But as confusing as it is to you that he is so liked, it is equally confusing to me that you wish to deride the player in an attempt to somehow prove to everyone else that our player isn't that good. Whatever floats your Villa-supporting boat though I suppose.

Good post BOF

People want to like their own players
It often didn't feel like that last season amongst the continual slagging off of A. Young, Gabby, Petrov, etc.

And if you glance over at the Petrov thread now, I think you will find no little refutation of your general principle.

However, people are bigging up Makoun beyond anything his performance to date can possibly justify and that is because Villa fans want to like their players.

I think I've got it now.

People want to like their own players
It often didn't feel like that last season amongst the continual slagging off of A. Young, Gabby, Petrov, etc.

And if you glance over at the Petrov thread now, I think you will find no little refutation of your general principle.

However, people are bigging up Makoun beyond anything his performance to date can possibly justify and that is because Villa fans want to like their players.

I think I've got it now.

See, what you are doing there is confusing thousands and thousands of individual voices with one collective voice which constantly contradicts itself. Yes, there are sections of the support who slated Ash at every chance they got and there are sections that dont like Petrov. That doesnt mean there cant be a large section who are optimistic about/like Makoun.

Â