Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Am worried that we'll see another, "After the Lord Mayer's show" performance.

I'd keep the team the same, play the same and play the same counter-attacking style that has suited us so well in seasons gone past.

IF we have to make a change, it should be Gabby out, not Albrighton.

I think that, away from home, we need a more disciplined structure though. Hence two holding CM'ers. I would also play Downing in CM as he is more of CM'er than an attacker compared with Ash, but still has creativity. I would then encourage Ash and Gabby to show some fluidity, swapping sides throughout, but also to get closer to Bent and play less as out and out wingers, hence why I would not start with Albie, and play a more solid 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 instead of the 4-1-4-1 we played on Saturday.

On paper, I'd agree.

But on Saturday I'd say we were very much playing a 451, despite the personnel on show. Whenever City had possession, we got 10 men behind the ball. We were effectively playing like an away team would do.

Hands up, before the game, I thought we were in for a pasting, but they all put a terrific shift in. I don't see why the personnel should change, regardless of tactics, which is a bit of a throwback to the O'Neill days which served us so well on the road.

For me, it's about getting our best players, who will put the most effort in, onto the pitch together. Which I believe was a heavy influence on Houllier's thinking for Saturday.

Makoun in for Gabby is the only change i'd consider.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy with a point. A defeat and we're right back in the thick of it again. Just hoping for more control from our midfield and I personally would think about dropping Gabby and playing Makoun from the off.

I think it will be Gabby or Albrighton to make way for Makoun. At least they are both very good options to come off the bench.

...............Friedel

Walker..Collins..Dunne..Clark

.............Petrov

...Reo Coker....Downing

Albrighton...............Young

.............Bent

NRC to provide energy and bursts on the counter attack.

Gives us more shape, as I'm not a fan of Gabby on the left.

In an ideal world I would drop Petrov, but he did play well the other day.

Ash in his more natural position and Albie is the first name on the team sheet for me these days.

same team as saturday with aggy and young swappng roles. let makoun wear a colourful jumper and jeans on the bench and hopefully heskey (if back?) can come on and set up bent for the last goal at the death - i'm going 3-1 us. blackpool to draw with man utd too!

------------------Friedel------------------

-------------Collins--Dunne-------------

------Makoun-Petrov-Reo-Coker------

Albrighton-Gabby-Bent-Ash-Downing

They wont know what's going on until BAM! and it's too late. :cheers::flag:

Lot of people calling for Makoun to come straight in. I think this would be too soon and he needs to be brought in slowly through a couple of sub appearances at least.

Having said that I imagine a CM pairing of NRC and Makoun would be one of the most energetic in the Premier League and I could see the rationale for this giving Stan a rest after his 90 minutes on Saturday night.

I've got a good feeling about this game, a ridiculously good feeling in fact; I can see us scoring five.

You are crazy, hopefully crazy in a brilliant way!

This game reminds me of the Sunderland game last year after a great 1-0 win vs United. It's just as vital and hopefully we can put in a similar display!