The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi Gen,

Instead of asking about the managerial situation (big thumbs up for Ancelotti and Ray Wilkins from me though) is there any further news to report on our new kits and sponsor? It's been a couple of weeks since the season finished now. Is there some sort of holdup with a new sponsor which is in turn holding up the new kits being shown? If this is the case, can we just show some photos of the new kits without the sponsor?

Sorry, I'm just dying to know and we seem to be way behind all the other Premier League teams when releasing information about next seasons' kits. Isn't the away one supposed to be on sale this month?

Thanks again, semper fidelis.

Whilst I would expect (and hope) that fan input does not dictate managerial appointments, I'd love to know if it is considered at all.

Do the board completely ignore fans wish (and nightmare) lists or is some attention paid to them?

I'm trying not to name names but I'm going to fail; if you believed McClaren was the best man for the job would you dismiss the 99% of Villa fans who couldn't think of anything worse? Similarly, would you select from say the top three the Villa fans are interested in, or interview someone who the fans had brought to your attentions?

I do think some note should be taken on fans wishes when it comes to appointments, the weight of which I'm not sure however. But positivity brings money and surely that has to equal a bit of listening to the fans.

sorry folks, but please, no posts of "I want this manager" or "I don't want that manager". Please keep comments and questions to things the General can respond to. He's said he won't answer things that the media will pick up on. Thank you

General,

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but is there any chance of naming a stand after a sponsor? It may be a way of gaining extra funds and I'm sure the idea has been touched upon in the past.

Hi General

I am so sad that GH got ill. I felt that he had the club going in the right direction and next season would show a vast improvement on last season. I do hope that Gh will be OK and would like you to pass my best wishes on to him.

All I hope is that you select a manager that has the knowledge and ability of GH in European football and may I thank you and Randy for buying Darren Bent.

Whatever decisions you make, I will be behind you both and look forward to the new season.

My question is, have you settled over here well and do you like living in England? I lived abroad for 13 years and I know how difficult it can be to live in another country away from all your freinds. Have you got past the home sickness by now? :-)

Anyway keep up the good work.

UTV

Staunch Fan since 1956

Hi General

I’m a man of very few words on here but wanted to ask something if I may.

You very kindly helped me about 18 months ago to get a signed Villa shirt from Fabian Delph for a wedding gift for my best man at our Wedding He was/is a Leeds fan and me a Villa fan – was a nice fit). The club went above and beyond and made this happen for us and I am eternally grateful for this. I am happy to report 18 months down the line and we are still blissfully happy together.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing is as follows. As a life long Villa fan I would love to have a season ticket and attend all the games, but as I work sometimes on the weekend and have other commitments (family) I am limited to the odd 5 or 6 home games a season.

As I would ideally like to support the club more I was wondering if there was a scheme in place whereby fans, like me, could contribute via donations to the club itself?

I know there are ways of supporting the club financially via shirt and merchandise sales, etc, etc but these obviously cost money to print and make the shirts/merchandise. I myself, and I’m sure many other fans like me wouldn't be averse to donating on a monthly basis, similar to charity donations, direct to the club.

I know loyalty schemes are in place with some clubs, maybe even our own, but I wanted to ask, if we wanted to donate on a regular basis and donate without too much hoo hah i.e. loyalty schemes, newsletters, etc, is there something in place for us to do so as I would like to support my club as best I can, even if it is a small amount each month. I knwo this type of doantion gives charities a good dependable income, one that can allow them to earmarked projects and services well in advance (i know this because I am a fundraiser for Teenage Cancer Trust) and so see the benefits of such a donation scheme.

If this type of thing is already in place then I would love to know more about it. Financially I can afford a season ticket, it’s just that I wouldn’t get to use it that often and so would like to support the club in other ways if at all possible.

Cheers for the good work you, Randy and the board are doing

Up the Villa

General,

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but is there any chance of naming a stand after a sponsor? It may be a way of gaining extra funds and I'm sure the idea has been touched upon in the past.

Further to this, General.

Would you not think it a good idea if we renamed one of the stands after Tony Barton?

People tend to forget that it was he, who led the team out on the glorious night in ROTTERDAM :oops: .

General

I assume you are enjoying another quiet summer at AVFC :o. I don't want to know the new manager, I just want you to promise me that the club will treat Gordon Sydney Cowans with respect. If the new manager doesn't want him please make sure that he gets his old job back. Syd=legend @ AVFC. :D

Thank you

Hi General,

It was Robert Duverne's 1st season I believe in the Premiership.. I noticed a "massive" improvement in our player's fitness levels towards the end of this season's campaign. Even Petrov looks a new player in regards to his fitness levels with him breezing through 90mins.

I just wondered if you could give us an insight to his 1st season with us please? And how he has settled into the club?

General,

It was good to read on the club website that we're entering a prestigious under 19's European league next season with games to be played at Villa Park.

Can you confirm whether entry to these games will be part of the season ticket package like reserve games are?

Afternoon General.

Any news on the following.

New Shirt

New Sponsor

New Manager

New Goalkeeper

Maybe we can do an unveiling of all 4 of the above at the same time, give the fans a moment of joy as the last 12 months are seriously starting to feel like groundhog day.

How can a team that has THREE England internationals, all of whom have scored crucial goals or got Man of the Match awards in recent games and be being chased by Champions League clubs be struggling to hold on to them?

Most teams would kill to have one INTERNATIONAL stars in their team, yet we look like a team who are becoming nothing more than a feeder club.

Have Villa settled for also rans? A REAL statement of intent would be getting a manager in who excites the fans and keep the three players and supplement them with just ONE good signing in defence and a keeper.

Total spend this year needs to be no more than £10/15m really.

A statement we want the best does not need to come through buying hundreds of millions pounds worth of players, but also of keeping them when they hit the headlines.

Barry gone for Champions League (succeeded)

Milner gone for Champions League (succeeded)

Young 95% gone for Champions League to United (guaranteed Champions League)

Downing 50% gone for Champions League.

Bent (already rumours unhappy at prospective moves for pair above)

Maybe, just maybe, if we'd spend ONE year keeping players rather than selling them WE'D be Champions League.

I think if Villa came out and said they'd 'risk' not getting a fee for Young/ Downing but that'd mean no major signings most fans would be more than happy.

We are currently giving the impression we're a small time selling club, actions speak louder than words.

I don't expect you to agree we've settled, it's not good business to admit it, but Villa are giving that impression to the world with their actions at the moment. Bent was great, but I wonder if that was more an investment to keeping in the Premiership rather than threatening the top 4. And let's face it, without Bent we would have gone down.

Selling Young and Downing this year will be the biggest sign ever that we are really just happy to be in this division and will never push for more.

Hi General,

I have to say I really think that Patience is dead in football, it's been 5 days since Gerard rightly left. I hope the board take as long as it takes to get the best man they can. If last season was the worst time to find a manager, this is the best. Best of luck (and I hope its Carlo ;))

General

Firstly, whilst I am not and never was a fan of GH, I wish him a speedy recovery and urge him to enjoy is retirement, I love Football as much as the next man but your health is and should always be of the paramount importance.

Secondly, I implore you and your fellow directors to take their time over our next manager. If we have a number one choice then let's "do the deal" and appoint him - if we don't, let's make sure we do our homework- we must get the right man otherwise we risk falling further behind our competition in the race for trophies or the ultimate aim of the Champions League.

Good luck General, we all hope the next few days or weeks are successful in getting the right man!

UTV

Dave