The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General Krulak here:

1. PKAVFC: "I hope the Board has learned a lesson from this...." Oh yes, we sure have. Let's see, we learned that it is not good to have a Manager leave the Club 5 days before the season starts....we learned that we should have a QA man or woman located at the factory where the material for our kit is woven...we learned that it is not good to have a raft of injuries to some of our best players during the season...we learned that it is not good when your Manager has a heart problem in the final weeks of the season. Are those the lessons we were supposed to have learned? If so, we learned them. I don't suppose you would like to offer a suggestion as to how to avoid these in the future? :bang::bang:

2. Tayls: A VERY good post!!! Your comment about some of the things that GH did for the Club was spot on! Unfortunately, much of what you said goes unappreciated by many fans. Thank you for highlighting them.

3. We have a scouting system. Is it world class???? Probably not....and it is something that we need to improve upon.

4. Thank you for all the suggestions re. a new Manager. It seems like just yesterday that I was getting suggestions on what to do with GH...now its choosing a new Manager. Can I have one day of rest? Think about it, even God took one day of rest....don't I deserve at least a day since I am certainly NOT in any way or shape even a glimmer of God's greatness.

I don't suppose you would like to offer a suggestion as to how to avoid these in the future?

Well seeing as you asked.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

We are fans that love our club, we don't need a tattoo to prove it :winkold:

If we think the board has done wrong we will tell you, i don't doubt yours or randy's commitment to AVFC, and i genuiely believe the mistake made last season will be learnt from and you and the rest of the board are aware of them.

Thank you for all the suggestions re. a new Manager.

Well considering you got advise on the last shambles of an appointment, why not take free advise from people that follow the game and care deeply for this club, we might like to think we know everything(because we do).

Doesnt mean we are wrong, i'd happily bet that most football fans up and down the country have a better knowledge of the game, than these so called advisors in there suits.

We say what we feel, and your big enough to take it, and no doubt dish it out aswell.

Randy wants feedback, and thats what we give good or bad.

Anyway here's to the new season, let the crazy ride of AVFC ride again :D

General,

Please pass on our respect, best wishes and thanks to Gerard Houllier.

A true gentleman, one of footballs good guys, and it wouldnt surprise me ifhis recent heart problem were partly caused by the endless hours he was putting in day and night to improve the fortunes of our great club. Real shame we never got to see him have the time to carry on the reforms he was making.

Can you pass on my best wishes to GH for the future. I think it was the correct decision for all involved. The club would show serious ambition if we at least enquired about Carlo Ancelotti and ray wilkins. Just thought I would throw that in there hehe.

Apart from the Asia trophy, is there plans afoot for any pre season games domestically or our high profile home friendly?

Hope your health is good aswell general, always a pleasure to hear your input

More best wishes to GH, he took over in poor circumstances and perhaps tried to change our system too quickly. It was obvious he cared for the club and with the signing of DB he (and Randy) pulled one out of the hat for which we are all grateful.

Now, UTV.

General,

best wishes to Gerard and good luck.

One person left us in the shit last year , not randy , not you , not the board.

Randy has been and is a fantastic chairman for our club, long may it continue.

Up the villa and the next manager .

General,

You promised action and you have delivered, promptly. Hopefully, you and the board can get the right Manager in now to get bums on seats and get those season tickets sold. I hope Gerard has a happy, healthy life but this decision is the best one for the football club in my opinion.

Regards,

Steve.

General,

Well done to the board for doing the right thing and getting shot of Houllier. Has Gary Mac also be shown the door as this hasn't been reported.

Good to see the decision was taken early and hopefully the wheels are already very much in motion on getting in a replacement. Its time to go all out for a top manager who is still on his game and has the hunger, desire and passion to get us back to where we all want to be. I trust that lessons have been learned and the correct decision will be made this time.

It would also be nice to see Sid go back to coaching the kids.

Regards

Mark

Ancelotti and Villa would be the perfect combonation, and would definately suit the club - if we want our players to stay General, this is the perfect chance and will signal intent and your chance to shut up the naysayers.

I don't mean to go on Sir, but this chance comes VERY rarely these days.

Hi General

I would just like to say well done to yourself and the board for handling the manager situation with such dignity and intelligence. I will hold my hands up an say that on the run in to the end of the season I was calling for a new manager, but the actions of the club kept stability and in the end was vindicated by our top 10 finish.

Was not the biggest fan of Houllier but wish him all the best. I think there are many managers out there who could take the club forward with the exception of Steve McLaren!! :)

General

As a parent governor I have just sat on an interview panel at my local large comprehensive school to appoint a new Deputy Head. As part of the selection process students at the school met with and fedback to the interview panel to help inform their decision. Likewise, at the university in which I work students are often involved in the recruitment of key staff.

Two questions therefore. First, more generally, how much, if at all, does the Board take into account fan opinion about a new manager expressed via fan forums, media outlets and supporters' groups? Second, and this is a suggestion as well, has the Board ever considered selecting a small group of fan representatives (4-5 people from official fan supporters' groups) to play some (albeit minor) part in the selection of a new manager? Often such people are very successful in their own field and would have lots of skills to contribute, but might also help get the fans on Board (well, some of them anyway) and support the new manager in his post?

As key 'stakeholders' in the Club, some input by a group of fans into the selection process might be advantageous all round. I appreciate this is a busy time for you and the Board, but your thoughts on this suggestion would be welcome.

Good luck in the recruitment process.

Best wishes

Andrew

General

Please pass my best wishes onto Gerard. Its unfortunate he had his health issues, as I genuinely think, given a full pre-season and a chance to get his own players in, that he would have turned things around.

Only have one more thing to say, in case nobodys mentioned it yet - NOT Steve McLaren, please please not Steve McLaren. Anyone but Steve McLaren.

Thank you

General

Among any advisors in selecting our new manager, would Doug Ellis have any imput ? I hope he does.

Would opinions of fans be considered ? A lot of us fans are knowledgable, if fans opinions are considered with the right manager in to match our ambitions, match attendances would substantially increase. Any initial financial burdens would be recouped many times over in the long term by increased revenue by selecting the right choice.

The most popular choices are David Moyes (wants a fresh challenge) and Carlo Ancelotti (wants to manage in the premiership). These are the only 'right' (very popular) choices in the opinions of fans. Obviously, it is up to the board who is selected.

Will the board please do their upmost to get one of these by selling our club (history, status, ambition etc) to them and the emphasise the support the new manager would have from the board ?

A lot of hope and faith is really placed in the board to do what is needed to get the right person to match our our ambitions and show how ambitious the board are. Randy lets his actions speak more than words ?

Best wishes to Gerard and all the best in selecting the right person as our new manager.

Thank you Sir

General can I back the Ancelotti and Villa with Ray Wilkins AM bandwagon. I would love it we could pull this off. Shows real ambition and with attract players and keep players.

Obviously I know you can't come on and say that we are going for Ancelotti but you could say - chefdoc200 - we are looking in to all possibility's! Then we would know there's a chance!!

But now you can't come on and say that! So General, a sign just any kind of a sign that we are......:)

Hi General

First time post for me. Obviously lots of media, fan speculation and requests regarding the next man to be in charge. I am not going to add any names to those already mentioned. I do hope however, that when considering the man for the job that the Board will look beyond the CV and consider the philosophy that they will bring to the club. GH was making changes and I feel progress would have been made. Get a man who will bring a football culture to VP from the youth upwards.

Continue the good work and your presence on the forum brings the fans and the club closer together.

Best wishes to GH.

Thanks to the board for making the right decision to correct the problem with the manager. One question from me though please, if Houllier had not had his health problems would the board have made the decision or stuck with him ?

General,

Please pass on my best wishes to GH. I would also like to add that the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti as manager would be possibly the most inspiring move the board could make since taking the reigns of Aston Villa. There would be such a good vibe and buzz throughout the fans it would be a fantastic move that shows incredible ambition and the feel-good factor surrounding the club would be immense, season ticket sales would hit the roof and this can only have a positive effect on the events on the pitch. Please, a move for Ancelotti would bring the good feelings back to our great club.

Regards.

General

More an idea than a question, once the North Stand re-development is complete(whenever that may be) how about that year the club try to aim to host the Europa League Final. The stadiums big enough and it could be a great chance for us to promote ourselves indirectly.

General

While we wait for the outcome of the managerial selection process, there's a question that won't go away in my head. Did GH go willingly or not? His comments on the official site, about disappointment, feeling healthier, looking forward to a full season in charge, seems to imply he wanted to stay in post. Was that against best medical advice? Or were there other factors at play? GH did several things that caused the fans to become disaffected with him at times, but in the cold light of day (backed by the board and your earlier comments) he was trying to change the playing style, address the issue of total player's wages and, I suspect, had a much improved network of scouts to tap into going forward. I wonder, was his attitude to be the manager or nothing? Was any consideration discussed about another role e. g Director of Football or similar. My guess is you'll feel unable to provide the real answers to this (and things tend to never be black or white of course), but it does seem a shame that a man with his experience, knowledge and contacts could not be used by our Club in a capacity that would fit in with his obvious desire to work, coupled with a role that would have safeguarded his health. As always, would appreciate your thoughts.